capitalttruth

Typos in Personal Statements

I (mistakenly) submitted my applications about a month ago because I operated under the erroneous assumption that you could still edit your PS's after you submitted your apps. I was under this assumption because I noticed that my LSAT scores and transcripts weren't showing up after my requests had gone out and so I sort of panicked. Anyway, the PS's I submitted I was ultimately happy with because I spent a long time reviewing them and editing them. However, after sending off my PS's I noticed that each statement had 1-2 typos/proofreading errors in them. As I look back on it now, I'm a little nervous about whether these proofreading errors will hurt my chances. I don't have a stellar cGPA due to extenuating health circumstances (as part of my Access application). I called Queens, explained the situation and they said they would accept the letter I was intending to send without errors and attach it to my file, but I don't know if this ultimately means they will review the letter I sent in over the one I uploaded to OLSAS. 

Anyway, I'm just wondering if these errors will ultimately hurt my chances because of my mediocre cGPA. I'm a little worried because I thought I really worked hard to improve my application this year, and I think that I have an overall strong application if not for these typos.

Edited by capitalttruth

A few minor typos aren’t going to make or break an application in my opinion. The dominant force behind your application will be your stats and extenuating circumstances. 

At this point in time I would advise you refrain from reading over your application materials. It’s just setting you up for worry about things which cannot really be changed, which in my view is not helpful. 

Best of luck this cycle. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

I (mistakenly) submitted my applications about a month ago because I operated under the erroneous assumption that you could still edit your PS's after you submitted your apps. I was under this assumption because I noticed that my LSAT scores and transcripts weren't showing up after my requests had gone out and so I sort of panicked. Anyway, the PS's I submitted I was ultimately happy with because I spent a long time reviewing them and editing them. However, after sending off my PS's I noticed that each statement had 1-2 typos/proofreading errors in them. As I look back on it now, I'm a little nervous about whether these proofreading errors will hurt my chances. I don't have a stellar cGPA due to extenuating health circumstances (as part of my Access application). I called Queens, explained the situation and they said they would accept the letter I was intending to send without errors and attach it to my file, but I don't know if this ultimately means they will review the letter I sent in over the one I uploaded to OLSAS. 

Anyway, I'm just wondering if these errors will ultimately hurt my chances because of my mediocre cGPA. I'm a little worried because I thought I really worked hard to improve my application this year, and I think that I have an overall strong application if not for these typos.

No one can tell you if those errors will hurt your chance. However, I don't think a few typos wshould not be a deciding factor.

I don't have any "proof" for this, but in my opinion, as long as they were genuine typos/proofreading errors you should be fine. If you mistakenly used 'their/they're/there', 'aloud/allowed', 'commitee/committee' etc. then I think that would look way worse. 

6 hours ago, student0033 said:

I don't have any "proof" for this, but in my opinion, as long as they were genuine typos/proofreading errors you should be fine. If you mistakenly used 'their/they're/there', 'aloud/allowed', 'commitee/committee' etc. then I think that would look way worse. 

This is a weird theory and I don’t agree with it. Mixing up homonyms and spelling errors are about the same level of error, and one certainly isn’t “way worse” than the other. 

OP, I wouldn’t worry about it. Everyone makes errors when they’re writing. It’s preferable to avoid them, but not worth stressing about ones you’ve already sent out into the world. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 11:51 AM, Luckycharm said:

No one can tell you if those errors will hurt your chance. However, I don't think a few typos wshould not be a deciding factor.

I see what you did there.

• Haha 1

I had 2 minor typo's in my personal statement and still got in to all Ontario schools. My LSAT and GPA were both above what they look for though. 

They were something like a forgotten word, for example: "During high, I taught XYZ...." the forgotten word is school. They were not errors of substance like their instead of there. 

Edited by advantagepackage

14 hours ago, student0033 said:

This comment made me think that "commitee" was a word and I was messing up by only using "committee" for my entire life. 

3 hours ago, advantagepackage said:

I had 2 minor typo's in my personal statement and still got in to all Ontario schools. My LSAT and GPA were both above what they look for though. 

They were something like a forgotten word, for example: "During high, I taught XYZ...." the forgotten word is school. They were not errors of substance like their instead of there. 

Count yourself lucky your typo had not also replaced "during" with "while".

• Haha 1

Going over my personal statement I realize that I misspelt someones first name. In quoting someone and discussing their decision in a particular case that inspired me, I spelt their first name wrong. Really kicking myself in the butt for this because I have absolutely no idea how I goofed that up. Anyway, I've emailed all admissions to see if we can change this last minute .... I know we're heading into January now, but when I spoke to admissions last, all told me that my application would be on hold for review until the completion of my most recent (this fall) semester. So hopefully this means its not too late to rectify the mistake. 

Ugh, really disappointed with myself right now.

1 hour ago, marsbar said:

Going over my personal statement I realize that I misspelt someones first name. In quoting someone and discussing their decision in a particular case that inspired me, I spelt their first name wrong. Really kicking myself in the butt for this because I have absolutely no idea how I goofed that up. Anyway, I've emailed all admissions to see if we can change this last minute .... I know we're heading into January now, but when I spoke to admissions last, all told me that my application would be on hold for review until the completion of my most recent (this fall) semester. So hopefully this means its not too late to rectify the mistake. 

relax... don't make a mountain out of a molehill.. 

This is NOT a decision changing error.

23 hours ago, marsbar said:

All you've done is draw attention to it. Just leave it be. You submitted them, they are what they are.

• Like 1

A typo isn't going to be the deciding factor, but having been on the admissions committee, I can say that a bit more proofreading is definitely in order.

Happens all the time. Don't sweat it. Nothing you can do now anyways. 

Mistake happens but sadly, sometimes it's too late to rectify them. But if there are no major typos, hopefully it won't make any big difference. For instance, spelling errors like theyr for their or this for these won't be a big deal. 

Thank you everyone.

I got an offer yesterday - I guess it wasn't as awful as I thought!

We'll see how the rest of the schools I have applied to interpret it.

Thanks again!

3 hours ago, marsbar said:

Thank you everyone.

I got an offer yesterday - I guess it wasn't as awful as I thought!

We'll see how the rest of the schools I have applied to interpret it.

Thanks again!

Told you so