0LHopeful

Ryerson Interview - Experience/Tips

Hi all, 

I just finished the Ryerson Interview and would like to share my experience and/or provide some tips for those who have yet to complete. 

Firstly, I actually really enjoyed the experience! I think having the ability to introduce yourself to the adcom with a face and a name but most importantly your personality is amazing. I actually think more schools should introduce this element and I would be surprised if we do not see some schools trying this out over the next couple of years. I could see a point where if every school made you do an interview it would add more time to an already taxing process but I would still prefer the chance to meet the adcom and would be okay with another step in the application process. Any predictions on this? Do you think more schools will seek to incorporate video interviews into admissions? Why or Why Not? I know various med schools do some version of either in-person or online interview and it's central to their decision.

Now, on to tips! I will not share anything specific about the questions because it truly would not be helpful to you. The entire point of the video interview is to see how you think on your feet and express your ideas, which I'm sure anyone who is applying to law school especially will already be seasoned at. But generally, here are some tips I would recommend for those who still need to take this assessment: 

1.  Be cognizant of your time! - I was cut off on more than 1 occasion. I am naturally a longwinded person and my boyfriend often rushes me to "Get to the point". Even after doing the practice questions I didn't really appreciate how concise you need to be. I recommend, when you're given the time before recording your answer, do not just think about what you WILL or WANT to say but HOW you're going to do it ie. What 2-3 points MUST I get across 

2. Eye contact! - Again, we often move our eyes around in natural conversation but watching one of my practice questions back I realized I was not making enough eye contact. Try to remember to look into your webcam a couple of times during your response 

3. Smile!  - I realized by the third question I hadn't smiled and I wonder if it will look creepy when they watch it lol. I don't think you need to be peppy per say but now that I'm done I think I could have done a better job of being a little bit more "upbeat"? Maybe not though, maybe they don't care but I get the sense that, in watching your prerecorded answers, a smile or two will do you good. 

Not sure how helpful this really was but hopefully for those who are nervous/have not done it yet, it will provide some help. 

Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this information, this was super helpful!

I have a few questions:

1. For the "practice" questions... they're not the same as the real questions, but along similar lines, right?

2. Would you advise against not doing practice questions at all? Do you think they helped? 

3. I know there's a time limit as to how long you have to prepare your answer, but is there a timer on-screen for how long you have to actually answer each question? How long? 

4. Were there any questions that really stumped you or prompted you to think outside the box, or was everything very interview-typical?

5. Aside from being cognizant of your time/being more upbeat, is there anything else you would've done differently?

Edited by monnnnz

3 hours ago, monnnnz said:

Thanks so much for this information, this was super helpful!

I have a few questions:

1. For the "practice" questions... they're not the same as the real questions, but along similar lines, right?

2. Would you advise against not doing practice questions at all? Do you think they helped? 

3. I know there's a time limit as to how long you have to prepare your answer, but is there a timer on-screen for how long you have to actually answer each question? How long? 

4. Were there any questions that really stumped you or prompted you to think outside the box, or was everything very interview-typical?

5. Aside from being cognizant of your time/being more upbeat, is there anything else you would've done differently?

1. Exactly, not the same but similar so I'd advise taking a pause (you can) after doing the practice and thinking about how you did and what you would do different because you can watch yourself back. I started right away and could have probably used a minute or two to calm my nerves

2. You have to do the practice questions!

3. No timer it's like a loading bar? You'll see how much time you have left so just check on that while speaking 

4. I don't want to give away any questions but I will say they are very normal questions as in, they only give you minute to respond so they don't ask any question that is too elaborate 

5. I would have done the practice questions, waited maybe 10 minutes then did the real questions, I was hyped on nerves so I went right in 

• Like 2

Did you finish the writing portion of the question by any chance? I think I got my point across but I definitely did not finish it. 

19 hours ago, lfcynwa said:

Did you finish the writing portion of the question by any chance? I think I got my point across but I definitely did not finish it. 

I think the same. I got my point across but my last sentence was cut off :( lol

I just did the practice questions and they're completely irrelevant to a law degree. Are the real questions applicable to this degree or are they abstract like "what is your ideal day off?"