How do you calculate GPA? I'm in an Ontario school and my OLSAS is 3.5 CGPA I used the website where you put your grades and calculate but it seems kind of irregular. I have a 81% without drops, how could that make sense? I don't think the calculator is right or something 

Edited by jatthopefullawyer

If your transcript does not have a percentage, take every letter grade on your transcript (minus your 9 lowest credits/3 courses if you're applying with 3 years or 12 credits with a 4 year program). Convert each letter to the lower end to this scale found here: https://students.ubc.ca/enrolment/courses/grades and average it out. This would mean A+ converts to 90, A converts to 85, A- converts to 80, etc. 3.5 OLSAS to 81% seems normal 

Damn that makes sense then. I thought my average was low. why does UBC convert my grades so high? I didn't expect a 84% average with drops. I just need a 163 on lsat and im apparently accepted...

On 11/8/2019 at 2:20 PM, bruhh said:

If your transcript does not have a percentage, take every letter grade on your transcript (minus your 9 lowest credits/3 courses if you're applying with 3 years or 12 credits with a 4 year program). Convert each letter to the lower end to this scale found here: https://students.ubc.ca/enrolment/courses/grades and average it out. This would mean A+ converts to 90, A converts to 85, A- converts to 80, etc. 3.5 OLSAS to 81% seems normal 

On 11/8/2019 at 2:23 PM, jatthopefullawyer said:

Damn that makes sense then. I thought my average was low. why does UBC convert my grades so high? I didn't expect a 84% average with drops. I just need a 163 on lsat and im apparently accepted...

An A Is considered an 86 at ubc :) 

On 11/8/2019 at 4:20 PM, bruhh said:

Would you mind explaining what you mean by credits? I am also trying to calculate my % GPA using letter grades. I have a foreign degree, total of 8 courses in each of the 3 years and according to WES each course is 5.5 credits (132 credits total). So would I drop just one course because 9 credits less than two full courses (5.5x2=11)? 

On 11/9/2019 at 5:49 PM, Senatorr said:

An A Is considered an 86 at ubc :)

1RUf0WK.png

No it isn't, lol

7 hours ago, magicsquiel said:

Would you mind explaining what you mean by credits? I am also trying to calculate my % GPA using letter grades. I have a foreign degree, total of 8 courses in each of the 3 years and according to WES each course is 5.5 credits (132 credits total). So would I drop just one course because 9 credits less than two full courses (5.5x2=11)? 

I say credits because degrees at UBC are 120 credits, with each standard course typically being worth 3 credits which total to 40 standard courses (10 courses per year/5 courses per semester). Not sure how it would work with foreign systems, you will have to double check with the admissions office to confirm your cgpa.

2 hours ago, bruhh said:

1RUf0WK.png

No it isn't, lol

I confirmed this last year when I spoke with admissions. Also it’s mentioned a few times on this forum...lol?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Senatorr said:

I confirmed this last year when I spoke with admissions. Also it’s mentioned a few times on this forum...lol?

Im confused. The link you included says that they use the same scale as the Registrar Office (which uses a scale of A=85), and that 4.0s convert to 86, not As. So do A's convert to 4.0's that convert to 86? 

20 hours ago, bruhh said:

Im confused. The link you included says that they use the same scale as the Registrar Office (which uses a scale of A=85), and that 4.0s convert to 86, not As. So do A's convert to 4.0's that convert to 86? 

I wasn’t the one who included the link so to be honest I’m not sure. All I know is that there are multiple posts on this forum about As being 86 and I personally spoke to admissions who confirmed the same thing (A- is 80, A is 86 and A+ is 90 if your school uses them)
 604-822-6303 <— this is the number. The woman is very sweet and will answer all of your questions.