Sign in to follow this  
lawyeredqueen

Anxiety

What is it that you're freaking out about? Once your apps are in, it's important to let it go and wait for decisions. This cycle of the admissions process will go on until next August.  You are going to stress yourself out completely if you are already freaking out two days after the application deadline. If it will help, stay off ls.ca. Focus on other aspects of your life, whether that's school or work. Spend time with family and friends. Exercise, go for a walk, learn to cook, read some good books. You've done what you can, for now. 

• Like 3

Don’t think about it too much. Do something nice for yourself as you’ve done what you needed to do!

Do fun things and hang out with your friends. Once 1L starts, time to do those things will be severely limited.

11 hours ago, lawyeredqueen said:

How are you guys dealing with the post-application anxiety? I’m freaking out everyday lol

I feel you!! I'm in the same boat. A big part of me knows that I've done my part and that it's out of my hands now, but it's definitely hard to relax so don't feel too bad about it. I think that it might take a couple of days, or even a week or two, to come down from the intensity of application deadline stress, but doing some of what the people above described is definitely a good idea!

Personally, I've been taking walks around my neighbourhood. I bought a new book to read. I started watching a new show completely different from genres that I usually watch so that's helping me mentally distance myself from the stress. Nothing too crazy tbh... imagine what I could conquer if I had hobbies outside of Netflix!!

In terms of mental strategies for dealing with the stress, I keep reminding myself of fun things that I can look forward to this month so that I feel excited about something (i.e. hangouts with friends, restaurants I want to try, movies coming out soon). It helps me remember that there are things that make me happy and that I have a life outside of the application process. Also, when I start thinking super negatively about worst-case scenarios, I try to logically talk myself through it like one of those yes/no flow charts. You honestly just have to talk yourself out of the anxiety sometimes.

I don't know what circumstances you're applying in or how much you have on the line, so I do apologize if any of what I said in this post came across as tone-deaf. I personally alternate between feeling calm and feeling sick to my stomach, so I am also figuring out how to consistently apply everything that was said above. If you ever want to let off some steam, you can always shoot me a message on here and we can talk through it or... panic... let's be real. But we will get through this!!!!!! :) 

I won’t go in to the detail of what works for me because (1) it’ll totally blow my cover; and (2) it won’t necessarily work for everyone. But here are some general tips that are actually grounded in mental health research:

- Take an e-vacay - Break your normal routine, go on a trip somewhere and leave your electronics behind. Try to get away for 5-10 days, but even just a weekend getaway without your phone can do wonders!

- Exercise - There is plenty of research that links exercise with anxiety reduction (and, incidentally, increased self-confidence!). Some suggests exercise outdoors works better, but I think it’s up to the individual.

- Try mindfulness - Works for some. It didn’t really help me with anxiety, but has been great for helping me focus when I need it most (exams, presentations, even homework)

My final point is to recommend that you take the time now to figure out what works for you, and to practice your anxiety-reducing skills. There will be many anxiety-inducing moments in 1L, and I have no doubt that there will be far more throughout law school and into articling and practice. Build your tool box now, you’ll become far more resilient for it!