Sign in to follow this  
mrblue

Personal Statement scare

Hey guys, 

So I submitted my apps to Western and I'm a bit concerned about my PS. Reading it again, I told a good story of who I am, but when it came to why I wanted to study law I think it was a bit shallow, and it wasn't business law focused. (I am a finance/econ major though). My stats are 3.43cgpa 3.96 L2 163 LSAT. My EC I think average? and 3 LOR that I think should be average (2 professors, 1 work exp)

My Fact scenario I think is good...

Do you guys know if this PS might hurt me? Anyone been accepted with sub par PS??

Thanks in advance 

I would love to chip in with a response that's actually both informative and eases your anxiety, but the reality is that no one can predict for sure how they will read your statement. So I will just provide generalized encouragement. :)

You would perhaps do well to remind yourself that in their own instructions, they say that you should, from among the bullet points they provide,

Choose what is most relevant to you.

They also list options like:

• personal and/or professional achievements
  • excellence in non-academic endeavours
  • life experiences that provide evidence of maturity, focus, leadership, self-discipline, creativity, or resiliency

It sounds like you may have covered these things well. Most of the bullet points don't say anything about law, specifically, and none of them say anything about business law, so I'm not sure why you think they might require that of you.

Further, with your stats, as long as Western adheres to their stated preference for L2, you will possibly get early admission without them even looking at your PS!

-GM

Thank you for your response, that is relieving to hear. I appreciate it GM

On 11/1/2019 at 9:46 AM, mrblue said:

Hey guys, 

So I submitted my apps to Western and I'm a bit concerned about my PS. Reading it again, I told a good story of who I am, but when it came to why I wanted to study law I think it was a bit shallow, and it wasn't business law focused. (I am a finance/econ major though). My stats are 3.43cgpa 3.96 L2 163 LSAT. My EC I think average? and 3 LOR that I think should be average (2 professors, 1 work exp)

My Fact scenario I think is good...

Do you guys know if this PS might hurt me? Anyone been accepted with sub par PS??

Thanks in advance 

I never answered "why law" at all and things worked out well for me. You're overthinking it.  You have good stats, perhaps if you had a much weaker application having a solid PS would be more relevant 

Edited by AJD19