gorgonzola

How To Spend a Bay St Salary

47 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

I think the standard now is just an amount that you can be reimbursed for fitness-related activities (gym membership, sports teams, classes, etc.).

That sounds way better to me. Personally I would hate to run into my coworkers at the gym.

1 hour ago, Jaggers said:

I think the standard now is just an amount that you can be reimbursed for fitness-related activities (gym membership, sports teams, classes, etc.).

One of the biggest things I'm going to miss, since my employer doesn't cover this.

That and office coffee. Two big expenses of mine are sports and coffee. 

I used to apply mine to cover TSSC team sports registrations. Definitely a nice perk to have. 

5 hours ago, tanx said:

That sounds way better to me. Personally I would hate to run into my coworkers at the gym.

If you're working downtown, TAC is the place to be for most law firms. Nice workout facilities, personal trainers, in addition to squash courts and a good restaurant. A good social/schmoozing place and convenient.  Very few want to commute home and then go out to a gym after a long day.

15 hours ago, JaysFan364 said:

TAC is what exactly?

The Adelaide Club.

15 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Toronto athletic club, I think.

Could also be this.

Edited by easttowest
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2019 at 3:08 PM, erinl2 said:

If you're working downtown, TAC is the place to be for most law firms. Nice workout facilities, personal trainers, in addition to squash courts and a good restaurant. A good social/schmoozing place and convenient.  Very few want to commute home and then go out to a gym after a long day.

Equinox and Adelaide Club are also popular with lawyers.

Edit: If you sign up for TAC, it's pricier but you also get access to Adelaide Club (versus the other way around you have to pay a fee, like $20, for each session at TAC). I go to both but prefer TAC if I go during peak hours, as I find that the squat racks are generally not as much in demand as Adelaide Club.

Edited by testcase

20 minutes ago, testcase said:

Edit: If you sign up for TAC, it's pricier but you also get access to Adelaide Club (versus the other way around you have to pay a fee, like $20, for each session at TAC). I go to both but prefer TAC if I go during peak hours, as I find that the squat racks are generally not as much in demand as Adelaide Club.

Very useful pro tip.

6 hours ago, testcase said:

Also worth noting that if you sign up for Adelaide Club, you still get access to the TAC restaurant.

I almost started to feel sorry for the people posting in this thread just scrapping by on their pitiful salary but then I remembered I’m only making an articling student salary in Vancouver (50’ishk) and my quality of life is amazing. 

Can I buy every thing I want, no, but I can buy everything I need (and even those things I “need”, but don’t really need). I can’t eat out every night, but I can take my girlfriend out for a nice dinner once a month and remain well within my budget. Can I afford to buy a house, obviously no, but I’ve been out of school for one year. My parents couldn’t buy a house after working for one year either and when they did it was an hour away from downtown. I can however rent a nice one bedroom apartment and I can afford to buy real  non-ikea furniture for it(granted the furniture was gently-used). On top of all of that, I’ve been slowly paying off my debt(at a slow pace, but it’s going down).

Seriously, I just don’t get what all the moaning in this thread is about. A 50k salary is more than enough for someone without kids to live comfortably, and people in this thread are complaining about 100k salaries? Get a grip.

The real issue isn’t high cost of living, but people’s outrageously high expectations of living at such an stage in their careers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

lol that's in the running for stupidest article posted on this website.

Agreed. Also, 'Coolname' is in the running for most brain-dead attempt at setting up a strawman in the history of this site (and there have been many). 

38 minutes ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

Agreed. Also, 'Coolname' is in the running for most brain-dead attempt at setting up a strawman in the history of this site (and there have been many). 

Were you here since day 1? 

38 minutes ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

Whatever you say Mr. “I’m only doing okay on my household income of 300k per year”

Just now, Coolname said:

Whatever you say Mr. “I’m only doing okay on my household income of 300k per year”

I think you missed the point of this thread. 

25 minutes ago, Coolname said:

We must accept our lots and seek to improve nothing, as we are far better off than the serfs working the fields for their lord.

1 hour ago, easttowest said:

We must accept our lots and seek to improve nothing, as we are far better off than the serfs working the fields for their lord.

I don't think this point is being made by anyone in this thread. The article does illustrate a point many people have been trying to make - we are at the greatest point of human history from a technological, social, and wealth perspective. To argue otherwise is disingenuous.

We can always do more but I don't think there is any time I would rather live in than right now in 2019.

Billy Joel wrote the following song (in 1989!) when a 21-year-old told him that it was a terrible time to be 21. Would anyone in this thread want to return to 1989 to live life as it was back then? What about 1979? 1969?