gorgonzola

How To Spend a Bay St Salary

11 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

But that’s just an employment choice. You could just get a job where you aren’t needed to be accessible except during business hours. Then every aspect of your life is better, instead of every aspect except this one thing being better. 

I’m too busy revising docs to write an obnoxiously long post, but I’m not convinced all of the tech advances made life better for me. To each their own, and we shouldn’t be surprised if people like different modes of living that were more or less available at different times. 

And yes I could stop working a job that has me on call all weekend. But I could also be a lawyer in an era where that wasn’t the norm, if I had a time machine.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, easttowest said:

Yet they continue in their ways.

Well yeah, they make more money when the firm does and the firm makes more when I’m on call, so why not. If I charged hourly I’d be less bothered by this too.

32 minutes ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

And yes I could stop working a job that has me on call all weekend. But I could also be a lawyer in an era where that wasn’t the norm, if I had a time machine.

Yeah, but then you'd eat worse food, have worse entertainment options, rarely travel and be slightly more likely to die young or suffer from painful illnesses.

I'm sure there are quirky individuals who would actually trade in their life today for the type of life someone in their position would have led 40-50 years ago. When push comes to shove, that wouldn't be most people, and a whole bunch of people who jumped in that time machine would regret it pretty quickly.

Literally everyone participating in this conversation has >2000 posts on this silly website. We're all the walking, talking (posting) embodiment of people who enjoy using the internet too much. 

4 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Literally everyone participating in this conversation has >2000 posts on this silly website. We're all the walking, talking (posting) embodiment of people who enjoy using the internet too much. 

Hoju's life would be better if he gave up 21st century medicine, the internet, cell phones, fresh fruit in the winter, all types of Asian, Indian and South American food, and cheap travel if only he didn't have to respond to lawstudents.ca posts at all hours on a Saturday.

5 hours ago, Jaggers said:

Yeah, but then you'd eat worse food, have worse entertainment options, rarely travel and be slightly more likely to die young or suffer from painful illnesses.

I'm sure there are quirky individuals who would actually trade in their life today for the type of life someone in their position would have led 40-50 years ago. When push comes to shove, that wouldn't be most people, and a whole bunch of people who jumped in that time machine would regret it pretty quickly.

And yet I moved to small town China for a chunk of life. And personally know dozens of people who made that choice for good. So yes, people make decisions for reasons other than “this is where I can stream tv shows and have better medical care”. People move from advanced western economies to all sorts of places.

My ideal life is rural Tibet, but my wife and the communist party both said no. 

4 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Also,, have none of you thought about how shitty our beer / wine / liquor options were in 69?

How can you plausibly ask this and not wonder why anyone stays in Ontario. You guys can’t buy any whisky that isn’t on the LCBOs list of 10 most common denominators. Far as I’m concerned, you currently live in the equivalent of early reform and opening China for liquor availability.

4 hours ago, Jaggers said:

Hoju's life would be better if he gave up 21st century medicine, the internet, cell phones, fresh fruit in the winter, all types of Asian, Indian and South American food, and cheap travel if only he didn't have to respond to lawstudents.ca posts at all hours on a Saturday.

I guess this is where I have to admit this site is what qualifies as a respite to me now. 

Edited by theycancallyouhoju
  • Haha 1

Point being, everyone’s view is “obviously almost no one would prefer less developed times with less entertainment and worse food options” but then you point out they haven’t moved to Paris or New York and all of a sudden it’s “well we all balance our values and decide what matters to us among many variables”. 

Everyone’s just their own version of Goldilocks. 

Life is a lot better in rural China today than 50 years ago too. Goldilocks’ porridge is much tastier all around, no matter what temperature she prefers it.

On 12/7/2019 at 8:00 PM, levin said:

bro why you so against online dating, how else are we shy introverts supposed to meet people

(tbh i agree with you, 99.9% of the people i met online was trash)

Somehow, introverts managed to date and get married in the 60s/70s too. There are boomers who have always been introverts!

I’ve been with my wife since before the start of the Internet era, so I can’t touch this one. Might be one where the Luddites have a point. 

23 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Also,, have none of you thought about how shitty our beer / wine / liquor options were in 69?

My grandparents had no difficulty at all getting drunk throughout 1969. 

I don't need "the golden age of TV" or artisanal food. I'd be perfectly happy with Philip Roth, Johnnie Walker, a brisket from Kensington Market, and getting high at a Hendrix concert. The 2019ers here can keep their Piano Piano, GOT, and small-batch craft alcohol. 

7 hours ago, KingLouis said:

My grandparents had no difficulty at all getting drunk throughout 1969. 

I don't need "the golden age of TV" or artisanal food. I'd be perfectly happy with Philip Roth, Johnnie Walker, a brisket from Kensington Market, and getting high at a Hendrix concert. The 2019ers here can keep their Piano Piano, GOT, and small-batch craft alcohol. 

Having Piano Piano rather than a brisket isn’t what makes 2019 better. It’s that you can get both, plus 100 different options, within walking distance or delivered to your door. 

• Like 1

As someone whose parents immigrated to a new country 40 years ago and faced horrible discrimination pretty regularly, I'm pretty damn glad I live in 2019 and not 1979.

Not to mention the massive leaps in the standard of living that have occurred since then. I really enjoyed reading this passage from Warren Buffett's 2015 letter to the shareholders of Berkshire Hathaway:

"It’s an election year, and candidates can’t stop speaking about our country’s problems (which, of course, only they can solve). As a result of this negative drumbeat, many Americans now believe that their children will not live as well as they themselves do. That view is dead wrong: The babies being born in America today are the luckiest crop in history. American GDP per capita is now about $56,000. As I mentioned last year that – in real terms – is a staggering six times the amount in 1930, the year I was born, a leap far beyond the wildest dreams of my parents or their contemporaries. U.S. citizens are not intrinsically more intelligent today, nor do they work harder than did Americans in 1930. Rather, they work far more efficiently and thereby produce far more. This all-powerful trend is certain to continue: America’s economic magic remains alive and well
Indeed, most of today’s children are doing well. All families in my upper middle-class neighborhood regularly enjoy a living standard better than that achieved by John D. Rockefeller Sr. at the time of my birth. His unparalleled fortune couldn’t buy what we now take for granted, whether the field is – to name just a few – transportation, entertainment, communication or medical services. Rockefeller certainly had power and fame; he could not, however, live as well as my neighbors now do.
Though the pie to be shared by the next generation will be far larger than today’s, how it will be divided will remain fiercely contentious...The good news, however, is that even members of the “losing” sides will almost certainly enjoy – as they should – far more goods and services in the future than they have in the past. The quality of their increased bounty will also dramatically improve."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, hitman9172 said:

As someone whose parents immigrated to a new country 40 years ago and faced horrible discrimination pretty regularly, I'm pretty damn glad I live in 2019 and not 1979.

This.

And would you really want to practice law without CanLII, Westlaw, and Word? Do you really want to spend your waking hours scribbling on cheap paper, in a room full of cigarette smoke, with not so much as a spellcheck or autocorrect?

Also, from an aesthetic point of view, the 70s sucked. Imagine a life of puke brown decor and orange bell bottoms.

35 minutes ago, thegoodlaw said:

in a room full of cigarette smoke

My father is a lifelong chronic smoker.  To this day, he smokes at least two packs a day in his own house.  My children are not permitted to go inside his house.  When I visit for 20 minutes, I leave with a headache.  

Never mind modern conveniences, the lack of second hand smoke alone makes 2019 the better year to be alive.

Edited by utmguy