Jump to content
gorgonzola

How To Spend a Bay St Salary

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, JohnStuartHobbes said:

I don't think this point is being made by anyone in this thread. The article does illustrate a point many people have been trying to make - we are at the greatest point of human history from a technological, social, and wealth perspective. To argue otherwise is disingenuous.

We can always do more but I don't think there is any time I would rather live in than right now in 2019.

Billy Joel wrote the following song (in 1989!) when a 21-year-old told him that it was a terrible time to be 21. Would anyone in this thread want to return to 1989 to live life as it was back then? What about 1979? 1969? 

 

You’re right; on reflection, the point being made was that we’re living better than the lord in his castle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Somehow, this thread has become even less fun than when it was about Toronto real estate prices. Bring back the overpriced anchovies! 

My parents are coming down this weekend. They'll stay with us in our "luxury condo", which is what my dad calls our pretty nice 1100 square foot apartment. I plan on getting some expensive anchovies at the market to really show them the high life. Unfortunately we can't take them to Bar Raval because of the baby. And because it's always lined up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 8:38 PM, JohnStuartHobbes said:

We can always do more but I don't think there is any time I would rather live in than right now in 2019.

Would anyone in this thread want to return to 1989 to live life as it was back then? What about 1979? 1969? 

 

Yes (to '89). Yes (to '79). Fuck, yeah (to 1969). 

I was talking to a colleague last week who was telling me how great it was to be a lawyer-adult in the '60s and '70s. Even in Toronto. He said you woke up and made money. Everyone screwed each other. No incurable STIs. No draft. Cheap houses in the best parts of the city. Cheap trips to Europe and Vegas. The coolest goddamn muscle cars. All the best jazz, blues, soul, and rock artists still alive and in their prime.

If you'd trade that for smart phones, email, and internet pornography...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, KingLouis said:

Yes (to '89). Yes (to '79). Fuck, yeah (to 1969). 

I was talking to a colleague last week who was telling me how great it was to be a lawyer-adult in the '60s and '70s. Even in Toronto. He said you woke up and made money. Everyone screwed each other. No incurable STIs. No draft. Cheap houses in the best parts of the city. Cheap trips to Europe and Vegas. The coolest goddamn muscle cars. All the best jazz, blues, soul, and rock artists still alive and in their prime.

If you'd trade that for smart phones, email, and internet pornography...

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, KingLouis said:

Yes (to '89). Yes (to '79). Fuck, yeah (to 1969). 

I was talking to a colleague last week who was telling me how great it was to be a lawyer-adult in the '60s and '70s. Even in Toronto. He said you woke up and made money. Everyone screwed each other. No incurable STIs. No draft. Cheap houses in the best parts of the city. Cheap trips to Europe and Vegas. The coolest goddamn muscle cars. All the best jazz, blues, soul, and rock artists still alive and in their prime.

If you'd trade that for smart phones, email, and internet pornography...

I think you mean white, male lawyer-adult. 
 

Pretty sure travel to Europe, etc. Has never been cheaper. (Which is one of the problems I have travelling - too many rubes, from all over the world).

Edited by QuincyWagstaff
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, traveling was not more accessible in any previous era. Neither was good food, or good music (though live music was definitely more of a thing). You'd also be trading it for a few more years of life expectancy, less chance that your baby or you (or spouse) will die during childbirth, safer cars even if you're into that weird Corvette Stingray look, etc. etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The travel thing was weird. But I'd 100 percent rather have a 70s lifestyle (of a white male lawyer) than online dating, social media, and the like today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I moved to Toronto in 2001 there were like 10 good restaurants in the city. I shudder to think how few there were in the 70s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

The travel thing was weird. But I'd 100 percent rather have a 70s lifestyle (of a white male lawyer) than online dating, social media, and the like today.

Dude, you can just not use social media or online dating :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Dude, you can just not use social media or online dating :P 

It's impacted the world regardless of whether I use them or not. It changes cultural norms and the communities we live in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Travel being less accessible is a plus. I have to go to specific parts of Nepal to get away from the hoards nowadays, plain old Nepal isn’t even enough.

Partners talk about the era without cell phones as much easier on associates. I agree. This has not been a positive development. 

Edited by theycancallyouhoju
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaggers said:

Yeah, traveling was not more accessible in any previous era. Neither was good food, or good music (though live music was definitely more of a thing). You'd also be trading it for a few more years of life expectancy, less chance that your baby or you (or spouse) will die during childbirth, safer cars even if you're into that weird Corvette Stingray look, etc. etc.

Ooooh safer cars. Good point, dad.

I’d much prefer a slightly safer car to not being available 24/7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

The travel thing was weird. But I'd 100 percent rather have a 70s lifestyle (of a white male lawyer) than online dating, social media, and the like today.

 bro why you so against online dating, how else are we shy introverts supposed to meet people

(tbh i agree with you, 99.9% of the people i met online was trash)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

Pretty sure travel to Europe, etc. Has never been cheaper. (Which is one of the problems I have travelling - too many rubes, from all over the world).

don't blame it on them, you're just not going to the right places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

Ooooh safer cars. Good point, dad.

I’d much prefer a slightly safer car to not being available 24/7.

You’re right, I did just have a baby :) 
 

Safety is something we’ve gotten a lot better at across a huge range of things. I just picked driving because it probably has the widest aggregate impact (along with medical advances since then) on people’s length of life and quality of health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jaggers said:

You’re right, I did just have a baby :) 
 

Safety is something we’ve gotten a lot better at across a huge range of things. I just picked driving because it probably has the widest aggregate impact (along with medical advances since then) on people’s length of life and quality of health.

Honestly, a marginal increase in the chance I live is less impact on my quality of life than being accessible 24/7. Not being sarcastic here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

Travel being less accessible is a plus. I have to go to specific parts of Nepal to get away from the hoards nowadays, plain old Nepal isn’t even enough.

Partners talk about the era without cell phones as much easier on associates. I agree. This has not been a positive development. 

Yet they continue in their ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

Honestly, a marginal increase in the chance I live is less impact on my quality of life than being accessible 24/7. Not being sarcastic here. 

But that’s just an employment choice. You could just get a job where you aren’t needed to be accessible except during business hours. Then every aspect of your life is better, instead of every aspect except this one thing being better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • For all intents and purposes, they are 'curved.' (Ottawa doesn't use a 'curve.' It uses a forced average.)
    • What are my chances for an interview at one of the big firms for the 1L recruit? My 1st term marks are as follows: Contracts - A Torts - B Criminal - A School is Osgoode 
    • Dude, come on. This person worked hard to get into law school. Why poke fun at them now?  Major congrats oceann. You're going to law school and on your way to becoming a lawyer. Wish you the best of luck in the rest of the process. 
    • From my understanding, Osgoode’s actual bursary application does not open until the first week of classes.    The early bursary notification application, which is filled out prior to the start of law school, only tells you whether you are likely to receive bursary funding should you apply. It doesn’t tell you the likely quantum of funding.    As such, missing the deadline for this early bursary notification program should not exclude you from receiving funding since you actually apply for this at the beginning of term.    Unless the process is different than last year or the year prior, there’s no need to worry! 
    • Now you get a chance to learn Python. Congratulations! You are still a number, either 1 (true) or 0 (false).😂  

×
×
  • Create New...