Awesomeio

Will re-taking increase my chances of scholarship?

I will be applying in 2020 for the 2021 class. I have a 164 lsat (Sept test) and am looking at about a 3.7 for L2 (unconfirmed as I still have a few courses to go).

I didn't study enough for the lsat and I'm pretty confident if I did I could get a few points increase to high 160's score.

Is it worth it to retake the lsat? Would it make a difference in scholarship money? Or should I just focus on my last few classes for my L2 score?

U of A is one of the few schools that averages LSAT scores. It's only worth retaking if you are certain you'll get a higher LSAT- but since the average is considered, a high 160's will likely only make your score go up 1-2 points. 

Edited by WindsorHopeful

I am aware of this.

I guess my question is geared more towards whether there is a discernable level at which scholarship dollars are achieved and how far my numbers are away from this (and therefore whether a minor increase in score might make a difference).

Bumping up your LSAT score is certainly one option, but I don’t know if anyone can tell you what GPA/LSAT scores the scholarship committee considers to be “competitive”. Check last year’s acceptance thread - some people posted their stats and mentioned scholarship offers.

Another option is to apply for as many entrance scholarships as possible. Gloria will send out the scholarship application instructions over the summer, but you can dig through the list of available scholarships to see what you might qualify for. Instead of studying for the LSAT, you can build up your volunteer work, start thinking about references, start drafting papers/applications... 

1 hour ago, AJD19 said:

I got 6K this year with a 156.

Needs based or merit based? You may receive another couple thousand in needs based funding in December if it is anything like last year. 

21 minutes ago, Toad said:

Needs based or merit based? You may receive another couple thousand in needs based funding in December if it is anything like last year. 

It was academic and needs based. Oh right! I forgot thats when the bursaries are released. Good to know there is a fairly generous bursary program; definitely hoping for something. Already very thankful for what I have received thus far though. 

2 minutes ago, AJD19 said:

It was academic and needs based. Oh right! I forgot thats when the bursaries are released. Good to know there is a fairly generous bursary program; definitely hoping for something. Already very thankful for what I have received thus far though. 

Yeah I was surprised how much I received in 1L. The primarily needs-based funding basically covered my tuition. 

I think I received 6-7k in October and another 3k in December. I was surprised and grateful. I initially thought I'd be lucky to receive even 2k per year

I admittedly had a bit more debt than most students when entering 1L so it may not be as generous for everyone