jx98

Ryerson vs. Osgoode

I'm in the midst of deciding which Toronto school I would prefer to apply to considering I already have two other schools I've decided to apply to and would rather not spend $400 on applications.

Reasons for Ryerson:

1. The location is better and the tuition is cheaper than Osgoode's

2. Opportunity to do a professional work placement

Reasons for Osgoode:

1. More established reputation

2. Admissions process is easier to predict than Ryerson's

As for my stats, my cGPA is 3.79, L2 is 3.83, LSAT 156.

Edited by jx98

22 minutes ago, jx98 said:

I'm in the midst of deciding which Toronto school I would prefer to apply to considering I already have two other schools I've decided to apply to and would rather not spend $400 on applications.

Reasons for Ryerson:

1. The location is better and the tuition is cheaper than Osgoode's

2. Opportunity to do a professional work placement

Reasons for Osgoode:

1. More established reputation

As for my stats, my cGPA is 3.79, L2 is 3.83, LSAT 156.

There are countless "professional work placement" experiences available at Osgoode, due to the many OPIR opportunities offered to Osgoode students, the clinics and intensives offered (highest in Ontario) and Osgoode's partnership with PBSC. While its not a formal ("mandatory") part of the program, I'd say having those opportunities available + more control over your upper year courses at Osgoode makes it a better choice. 

However, I'll agree with the above poster that your LSAT may make things difficult so applying broadly is recommended if possible.

37 minutes ago, jx98 said:

Getting into Osgoode is extremely competitive and the law school has one of the most selective admission policies in Canada.

No one has even experienced Ryerson's admission process; I never understand why you think that Osgoode's "admission process is easier to predict than Ryerson's."    

How long until the first Cooley vs Yale thread?

Advantages of Cooley

- Trump's lawyer went there

Edited by kakoke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, ArchivesandMuseums said:

Getting into Osgoode is extremely competitive and the law school has one of the most selective admission policies in Canada.

No one has even experienced Ryerson's admission process; I never understand why you think that Osgoode's "admission process is easier to predict than Ryerson's."    

The fact that no one has experienced Ryerson's admission process is exactly what I mean by Osgoode's "admission process is easier to predict than Ryerson's."  When it comes to Osgoode, there are at least published stats in regard to median GPA, LSAT score, etc. and posts from students on this site who have been accepted, waitlisted and rejected. Ryerson is completely new so no one knows what their admission standards will be like.

Thought I may be sleep deprived when I read the title. If you want to drop 60k+ on a professional degree for the location and "professional work placement" be my guest. Maybe this will start getting more high school students to go to Ryerson commerce over Ivey and Queen's commerce too. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

Thought I may be sleep deprived when I read the title. If you want to drop 60k+ on a professional degree for the location and "professional work placement" be my guest. Maybe this will start getting more high school students to go to Ryerson commerce over Ivey and Queen's commerce too. 

Sorry but I’m a bit confused as to why location can’t be a decent reason. Is that not why many people on this site express a distaste towards schools like UWindsor, simply for not being close enough to Toronto? I thought it was ridiculous until I started reading what people say on this forum...

Edited by jx98
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jx98 said:

Sorry but I’m a bit confused as to why location can’t be a decent reason. Is that not why many people on this site express a distaste towards schools like UWindsor, simply for not being close enough to Toronto? I thought it was ridiculous until I started reading what people say on this forum...

Location is one thing but I think many would say go to any other Ontario school (except maybe Lakehead) over Ryerson until we see how it turns out for its grads. 

10 minutes ago, jx98 said:

Although I do think that people shit on Ryerson to an unnecessary degree and this topic brings out douchiness, there are still legitimate concerns.  For example, it is unclear how employers will perceive Ryerson, Ryerson has a fairly limited alumni network, it is unknown how Ryerson grads will do on the job market, etc.  It's not that location shouldn't be an important factor in choosing a law school, but given that there are so many other law schools in Ontario that would give you access to the Toronto job market, it isn't clear that Ryerson would be your best bet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ProfReader said:

Although I do think that people shit on Ryerson to an unnecessary degree and this topic brings out douchiness, there are still legitimate concerns.  For example, it is unclear how employers will perceive Ryerson, Ryerson has a fairly limited alumni network, it is unknown how Ryerson grads will do on the job market, etc.  It's not that location shouldn't be an important factor in choosing a law school, but given that there are so many other law schools in Ontario that would give you access to the Toronto job market, it isn't clear that Ryerson would be your best bet.

Ryerson gets shitted on because its a part of this wave of new law programs that are opportunistically cashing in on those students who couldn't meet the criteria for admission at the more established Canadian law schools. These schools do this without any care or concern for the resulting glut in law grads which they are creating. Add onto this the international schools like Bond and the various schools in the UK which are also providing people in the same boat with an option to get into the legal profession through the backdoor and its easy to see why some people are critical. 

Its just not socially acceptable anymore to simply say that you don't measure up, maybe you should try something else. 

Edited by kakoke
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, kakoke said:

Ryerson gets shitted on because its a part of this wave of new law programs that are opportunistically cashing in on those students who couldn't meet the criteria for admission at the more established Canadian law schools.

Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with your assessment, that is certainly not the only reason that people have been shitting on Ryerson on this site. 

If you want to make more constructive points such as concerns with the legal market, that's one thing, but it is another thing to make snarky remarks like the one you made above that add absolutely nothing to the conversation and, in my mind, constitute you shitting on Ryerson to an unnecessary degree (since no one can credibly claim that Ryerson is anything like Cooley).  The OP was looking for information on applying to law schools.  My view is that people should be helpful to posters just starting out, just as people helped them in the past.  Comments like the one that you made are not at all constructive.  By all means, warn the OP about your concerns with Ryerson grads getting jobs, but why make obnoxious remarks?  Comments like that have caused several previous Ryerson discussions to go off the rails and detract from reasonable discussions about the saturation of the legal market and reasonable inquiries from prospective Ryerson students who are seeking and should be entitled to information on topics other than rants about too few jobs.  

Edited by ProfReader
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I personally would choose Osgoode if I can get in. Because like OP said, Osgoode is an established reputable school and I don’t know if Ryerson is as good in terms of job prospects so I would not like to take risks. Also, North York isn’t that far from downtown Toronto. 

Maybe apply both, get in at both, and see if you can get scholarship, bursary etc and compare the cost then. That may help you decide. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with your assessment, that is certainly not the only reason that people have been shitting on Ryerson on this site. 

If you want to make more constructive points such as concerns with the legal market, that's one thing, but it is another thing to make snarky remarks like the one you made above that add absolutely nothing to the conversation and, in my mind, constitute you shitting on Ryerson to an unnecessary degree (since no one can credibly claim that Ryerson is anything like Cooley).  The OP was looking for information on applying to law schools.  My view is that people should be helpful to posters just starting out, just as people helped them in the past.  Comments like the one that you made are not at all constructive.  By all means, warn the OP about your concerns with Ryerson grads getting jobs, but why make obnoxious remarks?  Comments like that have caused several previous Ryerson discussions to go off the rails and detract from reasonable discussions about the saturation of the legal market and reasonable inquiries from prospective Ryerson students who are seeking and should be entitled to information on topics other than rants about too few jobs.  

Ryerson has turned legal education into a fashion statement to try and sucker people like the OP into buying into their bullshit. Tech savvy and woke lawyers who take "Coding Bootcamp" and "Emotional and Cultural Quotient Bootcamp" and who have a supposed advantage because they take a one semester placement when almost every other law school provides similar opportunities. The rest of us need to get undergrad degrees to get into other law schools but at Ryerson you can be admitted without a degree/any post-secondary experience. Ryerson knows exactly what it is doing. I disagree with you that shitting on Ryerson can go at all too far

But you are right about the constructive points part though. OP, I would advise you to stay away from Ryerson at all costs. If you want to stay in Toronto, try and raise your LSAT to a 160 and then apply to Osgoode. Otherwise, you are strong at uOttawa/Windsor and have a somewhat okay chance at Western/Queens. 

• Like 3

You don't have any offers right now, so spend the extra money and apply to both schools. It'd be beyond foolish to pass on Osgoode in order to save $130. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kakoke said:

Ryerson has turned legal education into a fashion statement to try and sucker people like the OP into buying into their bullshit. Tech savvy and woke lawyers who take "Coding Bootcamp" and "Emotional and Cultural Quotient Bootcamp" and who have a supposed advantage because they take a one semester placement when almost every other law school provides similar opportunities. The rest of us need to get undergrad degrees to get into other law schools but at Ryerson you can be admitted without a degree/any post-secondary experience. Ryerson knows exactly what it is doing. I disagree with you that shitting on Ryerson can go at all too far

But you are right about the constructive points part though. OP, I would advise you to stay away from Ryerson at all costs. If you want to stay in Toronto, try and raise your LSAT to a 160 and then apply to Osgoode. Otherwise, you are strong at uOttawa/Windsor and have a somewhat okay chance at Western/Queens. 

I disagree with various parts of the first paragraph but am not going to participate in derailing another read on Ryerson when these issues have already been discussed (exhaustively) in other threads. 

Instead, I will merely address the more constructive points.  OP, I wouldn't necessarily say "at all costs", but I would agree that you might consider rewriting the LSAT and that you should definitely apply broadly in Ontario.

2 hours ago, jx98 said:

For people who want to work in Toronto, Windsor is 4 hours away from Toronto, which makes running over for networking events, interviews, or anything else a full day task (minimum 8 hours total travel time). This makes location a factor.

Osgoode is in the same city, and has a station on the direct transit line to downtown.

On your broader point, I can't imagine why you would voluntarily apply to Ryerson (an unknown factor) over Osgoode (a very well known, and positive factor) if you have the grades to confidently predict the outcome, but with your LSAT I'd suggest applying to multiple schools in order to boost your chances of admission.