Sign in to follow this  
lawyeredqueen

So many people apply, only a few get in

I’ve always been astounded by this. Do people with the rights  stats get rejected too? Or are a lot of people with lower stats applying such as below 160 LSAT and below 3.5 gpas and that’s why the rejection rate is so high. I find it hard to believe someone with a stellar lsat and gpa can get rejected.

Some schools are numbers only e.g. University of Alberta, University of Manitoba, UBC, UVic. For those schools if your stats are sufficiently high you are essentially guaranteed an acceptance barring a mistake by the admissions committee.

It is also important to note that when a school says something along the lines of "each year we receive 1,200 applications for 200 spots" it doesn't mean that only 16% of people who applied were accepted. Plenty of people apply to multiple schools and receive multiple offers and end up declining all other schools except for their highest choice. The LSAC three year comparison shows that there are around 6,750~ applicants to Canadian law schools each year. There are around 2,800~ spots at law schools in Canada which means approximately 40% of people who apply during a cycle will begin law school the next fall. *Note: This is for English/common law programs as French/civil schools do not require an LSAT if I remember correctly.

That being said, this doesn't mean that Canadian law schools are easy to get in to. Plenty of people who would otherwise be interested in attending law school are likely weeded out before getting to the point of submitting an application. Whether it be from failing to obtain an undergraduate degree, having terrible grades, or bombing the LSAT.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, lawyeredqueen said:

I’ve always been astounded by this. Do people with the rights  stats get rejected too? Or are a lot of people with lower stats applying such as below 160 LSAT and below 3.5 gpas and that’s why the rejection rate is so high. I find it hard to believe someone with a stellar lsat and gpa can get rejected.

Supply and demand