Oliver

Making a Change to Application?

When completing my application to the UofA, they had a question that stated, “Are you applying to any other law schools?” 

At the time, I said no, but circumstances have changed and I’ve applied to another school as well. Do you think it’s worth calling/emailing the admissions office at the UofA to inform them of this change? 

I don’t want to start my application off on the wrong foot, but I’m also willing to hear that I’m just overthinking this process.

Also, if anyone is willing to chance me, that would be appreciated as well!

L2: 3.59/4.00

LSAT: 162 (only write)

I’m a first-time poster, but wanted to say this forum has been incredibly helpful since I’ve decided to pursue this path, so thanks to everyone! 

Edited by Oliver
clarity

If your stats are correctly calculated, you will almost certainly be accepted.

Whether or not you're applying to other schools has no effect on your application. That being said, given that it takes 10 seconds to send a quick email there is no reason not to.

I suppose my concern was that contacting an admissions committee to tell them I was also applying elsewhere would seem...odd. 

But you’re right, everyone knows that applicants apply to multiple schools, and this has no bearing on admission. 

Thanks for your help!

2 hours ago, Oliver said:

I suppose my concern was that contacting an admissions committee to tell them I was also applying elsewhere would seem...odd. 

But you’re right, everyone knows that applicants apply to multiple schools, and this has no bearing on admission. 

Thanks for your help!

I wouldnt worry about it. 

I would not do this, not because I think it's particularly inappropriate, but because I think it's irrelevant to them.

I got the very strong impression that the question about applying to other schools was a generic question they ask all students from all programs. Indeed it is listed as a 'survey' and when you complete that section, it says "Thank you for completing this survey" or something similar. I doubt that the law admissions committee even gets this information; I think it's destined for the school's marketing dep't, etc.

If I am wrong and the above decision is overturned ;), I think that this is still not a problem. The answer you gave was true when you gave it; there is no element of deception and I am certain there is no requirement to keep the school updated with your intentions! (Imagine if you changed your mind every day and updated them continually...)

Best of luck. I'm jealous of your stats!

-GM