TechneIsHard

Chances? (2.8 cGPA / 3.2 L2 / 147)

On 10/25/2019 at 4:46 AM, TechneIsHard said:

I'm seriously considering outside of Ontario. My top 3 are in Ontario but I'm not opposed to moving to wherever the law school is.

With your current stats, even if applying in the access categories, I don't see you getting accepted by any schools in Canada. You need to re-write the LSAT and request as many accommodations as possible for your needs. You have to get above 150 for even the slightest chance.

If all else fails and you're dead set on practicing law, you can try Bond University in Australia or a program in the UK. Keep in mind that this would be considerably more expensive and make it more difficult to find a job when you come back to Canada - and you'd have to go through 6+ months of accreditation.

• Like 1

Why can't this person be considered for schools with a holistic approach such as the University of Windsor?

Based on your stats alone it would be very unlikely to be accepted to a Canadian Law School as a general/ regular applicant as they typically will filter you out without even looking at any additional factors. That being said I would say it is not impossible if you apply under access/ discretionary categories. Perhaps there are less competitive applicants this year or maybe you can write a persuasive enough personal statement that the committee resonates with. However, a harsh reality is that Law School is very competitive and many people face hardships both personally and systemically, who do not get in based on all the post I have read on here. I would say if you have the means to apply to a bunch of schools and are realistic with your chances then go for it.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:37 PM, Stephy said:

a holistic approach such as the University of Windsor?

"Holistic" doesn't mean "ignores grades and LSAT" - it just means that the process doesn't ignore less objective standards like ECs, references, and personal statements.

Stellar ECs/PSs/references won't outweigh stats like OPs - at least not if applying in the general category for admission. Applying in the access categories is a possibility, but even then, there are a lot of students that qualify for this category with better GPAs and LSATs than OP.

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 1

Yes you are correct, however, I am specifically making reference to the University of Windsor.  That being said, they do not have an access category to apply to; only one category, and I never said that they do not factor in your GPA or LSAT either.  I still believe someone with a lower GPA and LSAT could still possibly be considered at a school that uses a holistic admissions approach over other more competitive schools...

The University of Toronto says directly on their web page to still apply even if your scores are lower than their medians.  All one can do with a lower GPA or LSAT score is to hope and try; you will never gain if you don't take the risk.

35 minutes ago, Stephy said:

The University of Toronto says directly on their web page to still apply even if your scores are lower than their medians.  All one can do with a lower GPA or LSAT score is to hope and try; you will never gain if you don't take the risk.

Sure, because they want the $180 (or whatever OLSAS is charging for U of T applications these days). 

OP, your chances are 0% right now, maybe slightly higher if you work for five years and come back as a mature candidate.

I can tell you that I was rejected as a general applicant with a cgpa/L2/LSAT of 2.53/3.3/171. Your grades are going to be very hard, if not impossible to overcome. 

• Like 1

Holistic schools do accept people with lower stats, but those people tend to be LSAT/GPA splitters, not applicants whose stats are low across the board. 

Edited by Tagger

8 minutes ago, TechneIsHard said:

So, it turns out my last LSAT was 153, not 147. Still rewriting in Jan with the hopes of high 150s/low 160s with test accommodations.

Do you have a plan B?

And my LSAT practice tests are now low 160s right now, so hopefully the LSAT I just wrote is in that range or slightly higher. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TechneIsHard said:

And my LSAT practice tests are now low 160s right now, so hopefully the LSAT I just wrote is in that range or slightly higher. 

You really need a plan B besides law school