TechneIsHard

Chances? (2.8 cGPA / 3.2 L2 / 147)

Hi 

Just graduated from a BA in Greek and Roman Studies with a cgpa of 2.8. My first 2 yrs in a BA Economics dragged it down to a 1.5 in both years due to the Faculty of Science not being super understanding about a disability.

My L2 of 3.2.  My LSAT is at 147 and unlikely to go higher due to the change in format and my medical condition.

I have an exchange for my final year in the UK with several 90s on my transcript as my university actually issues grades as opposed to a pass/fail/for credit system for exchange results.

I've got strong references from both a professor at my exchange school and the degree I just graduated from.

I also was heavily involved in running a student service on campus for my student union. While I was in the UK, I also interned at a university archaeological unit and a law firm.

Since graduating, I'm working at a Toronto firm as a legal assistant.

I know my stats aren't great, but do I have much of a chance with all the non-academic stuff I've piled on?

Edited by TechneIsHard
Got my stats wrong.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll stand a chance anywhere in Canada with a sub-3.0 cGPA and a 147 LSAT. 

You won't get in anywhere in Canada now with those stats and ECs. However, you can try applying as a mature student few years down the line, but you need to improve your profile. Your ECs are not anything special either.

If your medical condition is such that it affects your ability to write the LSAT, you can apply for accommodation. 147 won't cut it. Your ECs are just okay. They won't hurt you but they won't even come close to raising your chances. ECs that seem to make a difference are graduate degrees with publications, national athlete, highly successful previous career, etc... and even then, it's no guarantee. 

In my opinion, you should focus on fixing your LSAT problem or consider a different career for now.

• Like 1

I agree that LSAT improvement is your best bet for overall improvement for your chances, especially if you can receive accommodations. Have you looked into getting an LSAT tutor or taking a class?

Unfortunately, I don't think there are even outliers with a sub 3.0 and sub 150 LSAT who are gaining admission to law schools in Canada.

Have you looked into LSAT accommodations at all? I have heard a few people were able to write a paper format exam after submitting for accommodations. 

3 hours ago, TechneIsHard said:

Hi 

Just graduated from a BA in Greek and Roman Studies with a cgpa of 2.8. My first 2 yrs in a BA Economics dragged it down to a 1.5 in both years due to the Faculty of Science not being super understanding about a disability.

My L2 of 3.2.  My LSAT is at 147 and unlikely to go higher due to the change in format and my medical condition.

I have an exchange for my final year in the UK with several 90s on my transcript as my university actually issues grades as opposed to a pass/fail/for credit system for exchange results.

I've got strong references from both a professor at my exchange school and the degree I just graduated from.

I also was heavily involved in running a student service on campus for my student union. While I was in the UK, I also interned at a university archaeological unit and a law firm.

Since graduating, I'm working at a Toronto firm as a legal assistant.

I know my stats aren't great, but do I have much of a chance with all the non-academic stuff I've piled on?

Does your L2 calculation include UK grades?

7 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Does your L2 calculation include UK grades?

10 hours ago, Tagger said:

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll stand a chance anywhere in Canada with a sub-3.0 cGPA and a 147 LSAT. 

So basically, I have a very legitimate reason for my cgpa to be really low (1.4/1.5) the first two years that can be documented through the university's disability  office and a low 3.0 gpa for the rest.

My L2 includes my exchange grades.

9 hours ago, chaboywb said:

If your medical condition is such that it affects your ability to write the LSAT, you can apply for accommodation. 147 won't cut it. 

My medical condition is such that I wouldn't be able to get it accommodated with basically removing the timed aspect and this negating the point of the LSAT. If I have an absence seizure, those can last 20 min. I had one during the games section last time and it basically killed my score. 

And now that it's a digital format, that's yet another major trigger.

Edited by TechneIsHard

3 hours ago, TechneIsHard said:

So basically, I have a very legitimate reason for my cgpa to be really low (1.4/1.5) the first two years that can be documented through the university's disability  office and a low 3.0 gpa for the rest.

Sure, but as it stands, all three of your relevant stats (cGPA, L2/B2, and LSAT) are extremely low, and schools aren't going to overlook that just because of your extenuating circumstances. 

Edited by Tagger
  • Like 2

OLSAS does not include grade from foreign university when calculate your GPA. Your L2 may be lower than 3.2 and cGPA lower than 2.8. 

Did you calculate the cGPA and L2 yourself?

Edited by Luckycharm

2 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

OLSAS does not include grade from foreign university when calculate your GPA. Your L2 may be lower than 3.2 and cGPA lower than 2.8. 

Did you calculate the cGPA and L2 yourself?

I guess you missed the point were I said my Canadian university actually gives me their grades for my exchange, in my original post? 

I used the calculator that's been floating around called the Law School Application Assistant.

4 hours ago, Tagger said:

Sure, but as it stands, all three of your relevant stats (cGPA, L2/B2, and LSAT) are extremely low, and schools aren't going to overlook that just because of your extenuating circumstances. 

So, basically I'd be better off only applying to law schools with an Access category (or the like) instead of the General application?

Edited by TechneIsHard

8 minutes ago, TechneIsHard said:

I guess you missed the point were I said my Canadian university actually gives me their grades for my exchange, in my original post? 

I used the calculator that's been floating around called the Law School Application Assistant.

I'm pretty sure that even if your school includes the actual grades in your transcript, OLSAS won't count them in their calculation of your GPA

Edit: I just found this on their website:

"Grades from countries other than Canada and the US are processed as non-convertible" https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-gpa-calculations/#table

Edited by curiouslegal

48 minutes ago, TechneIsHard said:

So, basically I'd be better off only applying to law schools with an Access category (or the like) instead of the General application?

No, what I'm saying is that unless you can significantly improve at least one of those stats, it won't be worth it for you to apply to Canadian schools. 

2 hours ago, TechneIsHard said:

I am sure you missed my point. 

2 hours ago, TechneIsHard said:

Access doesn't exist to be a freebie for anyone with a valid claim. It can certainly be used to explain your very low cumulative GPA. However, even your GPA since dealing with the issue is not particularly impressive from a law school admission standpoint.

I don't think access matters for a low LSAT. Accommodations exist for the LSAT and it is not disclosed to schools if you had them. It's the LSAT's job to level the playing field here.

I'm skeptical about you being unable to get accommodated. Have you tried? I know that students have gotten twice as much time, the exam spread over two days, individual rooms with the ability to talk aloud, etc. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

I'm skeptical about you being unable to get accommodated. Have you tried? I know that students have gotten twice as much time, the exam spread over two days, individual rooms with the ability to talk aloud, etc. 

I have also heard of students getting "unlimited stop-time breaks" or something along those lines 

• Like 3

I received acceptances last cycle with a 2.68 cgpa/155 (none in Ontario). I would strongly suggest pushing your accommodations as much as possible for the LSAT. 

18 hours ago, tryingmybest said:

I have also heard of students getting "unlimited stop-time breaks" or something along those 

19 hours ago, chaboywb said:

Huh! I didn't realize they could give accommodations like that. When I called them last year to ask, LSAC basically just suggested I cancel my score since the max they ever gave was 50% extra time to anyone. Maybe I just spoke to someone who didn't know much on the subject. 

Maybe I'll apply for accommodations anyway and see if it improves my score. Because the 147 was with the logic games section mostly blank and I usually score just over 80% accuracy on it in practice.

I still have time to get this done for the Jan LSAT.

Edited by TechneIsHard
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, undecidedlaw said:

I received acceptances last cycle with a 2.68 cgpa/155 (none in Ontario). I would strongly suggest pushing your accommodations as much as possible for the LSAT. 

I'm seriously considering outside of Ontario. My top 3 are in Ontario but I'm not opposed to moving to wherever the law school is.