megatakep3

Any upper years have a sage words of wisdom to calm an anxious 1L? (summer jobs)

Hi! 

Okay so I know its only the second month of law school and i know it is HIGHLY unrealistic to get a job after the summer of first year (we really don't know anything yet) and i know the more important thing to do right now is to focus on my grades but I just got a bill and now i'm thinking about debt and paying it off.... 

Anyone have some sort of verbal ritual they say to themselves to rid this anxiety? 

I know! Racking up debt and not making money is eating me up inside. I considered getting a sugar daddy (kidding! I’m not that hot; FYI, the gender-neutral term is glucose guardian).

What’s helped for me so far is the knowledge that I could probably get a job for four months in the summer to make some money. It may not be a law job but anything helps. I’ve also been cooking pretty much all my meals which saves a lot of money. I’ve also stopped drinking alcohol.

Edited by Aschenbach
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Aschenbach said:

I know! Racking up debt and not making money is eating me up inside. I considered getting a sugar daddy (kidding! I’m not that hot; FYI, the gender-neutral term is glucose guardian).

What’s helped for me so far is the knowledge that I could probably get a job for four months in the summer to make some money. It may not be a law job but anything helps. I’ve also been cooking pretty much all my meals which saves a lot of money. I’ve also stopped drinking alcohol.

You're in law school and stopped drinking? Jesus. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Aschenbach said:

FYI, the gender-neutral term is glucose guardian

You have won the current ls.ca Phrase Of The Month Competition. Reward is a small puppy and a broken espresso maker.

CONGRATULATIONS 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Aschenbach said:

Also, the term for a sugar daddy who turns out to be not that rich is a splenda daddy.

• Haha 12

1 hour ago, Deadpool said:

You're in law school and stopped drinking? Jesus. 

Need to save as much brain cells as I can. There's not that many to begin with...

1 hour ago, Hegdis said:

You have won the current ls.ca Phrase Of The Month Competition. Reward is a small puppy and a broken espresso maker.

CONGRATULATIONS 

Thanks! A puppy would be nice to comfort me during the long, sober, lonely nights.

17 hours ago, megatakep3 said:

Hi! 

Okay so I know its only the second month of law school and i know it is HIGHLY unrealistic to get a job after the summer of first year (we really don't know anything yet) and i know the more important thing to do right now is to focus on my grades but I just got a bill and now i'm thinking about debt and paying it off.... 

Anyone have some sort of verbal ritual they say to themselves to rid this anxiety? 

I would say that there are other opportunities that crop up over the course of second term that may be more accessible, like research assistants for professors and the like. A good way to be competitive for such a role (assuming you have an interest) is to do exceptionally in your paper course(s) so you can use them as writing samples. It also helps to cultivate relationships with your profs, as some of them might be recruiting and it may benefit you some if they know you personally.

Aside from that sort of job, there are a few firms that recruit non-traditional 1L summer students. I know a friend of mine got a gig at a "Sister" firm after the 1L summer recruit finished up because they needed a research assistant. It developed into a 2L job (without having to go through OCIs), and now he's an associate there. This is not unusual, either, but bear in mind that these jobs are still quite competitive.

Lastly, there's nothing wrong with taking a job outside of law for the summer. Something easily entered and exited, like working retail or food service. It isn't "prestigious" in any way, certainly, but if you need to pay bills there is absolutely no one who will scoff at you for doing it. It's 1L summer; there's no shame in not having a job at a firm at this stage.

Now, if you are willing to make peace with taking on debt, then there are probably lots of summer volunteer positions through your school at legal clinics. These have the advantage of building your experience that you can then leverage in your job applications in 2L. Note that these are not strictly necessary to getting a job in 2L, provided your grades are good, but they likely do augment your application. The disadvantage is, of course, that you won't be getting paid. But you do get something out of it, so it's not a write-off per se.

Anyway, good luck, whatever you decide to do. The important thing to remember is that, at the end of the day, if you need to make money over the summer, there is always an opportunity, even if it's not in the legal field.

There's nothing wrong with not having a law job in your 1L summer. In fact, most students don't because openings are so rare. As Ryn suggested, a lot of us choose to write a paper, do an RAship, or volunteer for a clinic to build up our law credentials. Or just spend the summer doing firm tours and networking with lawyers in fields that interest you so you 1) make positive impressions on people who could help you in the future, 2) get used to professional norms, and 3) gain wisdom on what the job market is like. You'll be surprised by how nice lawyers are if you just cold-emailed them, especially if they're an alumnus/alumna from your school.

That being said, it's possible to land a law job in your 1L summer if you hustle really really hard and you have good credentials. This gives you a huge leg up for 2L recruitment, so I highly recommend that you dedicate a few hours a week to the job search if you can manage to do so without jeopardizing your grades. Go to your career development office and have your application materials looked over. Ask an upper year (or one of the lawyers you networked with, if they seem nice) to also go over it for safe measure. Vigilantly monitor Indeed and your school's job board, and apply to every single law or law-esque opportunity you see even if it's not directly relevant to your desired career path. Check if your city has a 1L organized recruitment process (though beware, as this might lock you into a job at this firm for the next few years) or if the courts have a 1L clerkship program. Make a spreadsheet with the postings you find, the application requirements, the deadlines, your interview dates, etc. I don't know how to do this, but some people have networked their way into a summer job. Rely on your personal network if this is possible.

What I don't recommend doing is giving away your labour for free to a for-profit law firm, even if it gives you work experience. You're too good to let people make 100% profit off of your hard work. It also ruins the market for all law students, who firms know are vulnerable and ripe for exploitation.

Remember, it's really rare to get a law job in your 1L summer. If you get one, it's a bonus! If you don't, this doesn't mean you're unworthy. Don't devalue the skills/knowledge you have to offer to the industry. 2L recruitment will open up tons more opportunities for you. Good luck!

Edited by BNAAct1867