Marlo

NY bar to Ontario Bar

Hi All,

I'm currently a T14 grad at at op tier NYC big law firm. Honestly, I miss home want to practice in Toronto. 

We often engage bay street firms as Canadian counsel (Stikeman/McCarthy)  and given resume and those relationships I am not too worried about finding employment in Toronto assuming I can get barred in Ontario. 

I am barred in NY and want to start the process to get admitted in Ontario. I have enough saved to take the time to study for the exams but I am really lost regarding the process and estimation from beginning to end. I've been barred less than 5 years.

Not os sound too cocky, I'm generally a quick learner. I had a 95% percentile NY bar exam score (closed book) while completing half the study course). Also, not doing readings and just cramming the week before finals worked very well for me in law school. 

Thanks in advance. 

Seriously? You've been on this forum for years. This has been discussed ad nauseum. 

1. Apply to the NCA. Wait 1-3 months for assessment. You will get 5 exams.

2. Register to take the NCA exams (given 4x/year). 

3. Study for and take them. Wait 3 months for results.

I'd estimate the above will take you 6 months to one year, depending on how many you take at once. You could probably take all 5 at once if you have good outlines.

There's a lot of chatter on these forums about how difficult the NCA exams are and how much studying they require. I can tell you firsthand as someone who attended a top US school that they are not difficult and do not require much studying. Part of this is down to the substantive law of some of the subjects being similar to that of their US counterparts (crim, con) or else just being really easy (professional responsibility, foundations). But part of it is also just that we are used to writing exams like this. The only exam that requires a modicum of intellectual engagement is admin law, and even then it's just about learning new rules/frameworks and knowing how to apply them.

4. Once you have NCA cert, apply to Ontario bar for articling exemption. Receive articling exemption.

5. Take 3-day professionalism course that all who receive articling exemption must take.

6. Register for and take bar exam (open book).

7. Wait for results. Pass. Attend ceremony.

The above process should take you another 1-2 years.

None of this is difficult but all of it involves a lot of waiting. It is an expensive process, but really just a drop in the bucket on a US biglaw salary.

Edited by dave54321

15 hours ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

Is “barred” a term commonly used in NY? 

It sounds extremely awkward to me.

I was thinking the same thing. "I am barred in NY" sounds more like a bad thing than an accomplishment. 

16 hours ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

Is “barred” a term commonly used in NY? 

It sounds extremely awkward to me.

According to this simple justice post from a few years ago (i.e. by a lawyer who has first-hand experience of what term lawyer there use), "barred" is used in some states, but not commonly used in NY or NJ which use "admitted".

https://blog.simplejustice.us/2013/04/24/barred-or-barred/

17 minutes ago, setto said:

I was thinking the same thing. "I am barred in NY" sounds more like a bad thing than an accomplishment. 

Yeah, it's only one word different from "I am barred from NY".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haha yea you’re right. Not sure why I used “barred” but admitted is much more common. Not sure I’ve even used “barred” before.