Sign in to follow this  
mrblue

GPA drop question, chances

Hey guys, 

I have a couple of questions. I know basics about the gpa conversion (the chart they use -4.33 scale) but I'm a little confused on the number of credits drops in my case, as I took some credit/nocredit courses with no percentage/grades given. I have 135 credits in terms of graded ones (I did a fifth year) but I have 144 total credits. 

If I drop 6 half year credits my GPA works out to 3.78/4.33
If I drop 8 half year credits, my GPA works out to 3.85/4.33
If I drop 10 half year credits, GPA is 3.90/4.33

My LSAT is a 163.

Does anyone know how many credits I would be able to drop in my situation and also what my chances would be? I can't seem to find answers in the threads or when I call the office its opaque

Thank you

I think you have very strong chances. You’re index score using the lowest gpa you provided is 907.5. From my understanding 905 was the auto accept threshold last year :) 

Thank you for your reply,

I'm wondering what the GPA drop would also look like. which # of drops

I don't see anything on their website about getting to drop more courses if you take a 5th year. This is what i found "For example, if applicants have a four year degree (60 units/120 credits), we eliminate the 9 worst units (18 credits) from the GPA calculation. It does not matter when the worst grades were achieved. We do not consider performance based courses in your GPA calculation."  

I would assume that you only get to drop 6 courses unless they confirm it otherwise 

If your numbers are accurate, then you should be able to drop 8 half-year courses / 24 credits (144 total credits - 9 ungraded credits = 135 accumulated credits). Here's the chart UVic uses to determine drops. 

Accumulated Credits     Credits Discounted

96 - 103.9                                    6

104 - 115.9                                  12

116 - 127.9                                  18

128 - 139.9                                  24

140 or more                                30

Great. I thought that might have been the case but I was still very confused. Thank you so much guys, I really appreciate it :)

I thought I would tack on to this thread rather than start my own. I wonder if anyone could answer this very specific question - unlikely, but worth a shot to ask!

I have 138 credits of actual earned undergraduate courses, which alone would put me into the 'drop 24 credits' category. However, my transcript actually lists 156 total credits, because some of my college* credits were transferable for University credit. If these credits are counted at (as they are on my undergrad transcript), I would then be able to drop 30 credits, which would further boost the GPA just a little.

Anyone know whether this would be the case?

-GM  

*Actually Ontario Academic Credits (OAC), which was Grade 13 back in dinosaur days.