I just followed up with the professor that told me they would write my a LOR and they said it wont be done on Nov 1. What do I do? 

Get a letter from someone who actually cares enough to write you one page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The prof just said that they are too busy with marking midterms and assignments right now and would probably get it done late november

On 10/20/2019 at 9:09 PM, OnlyResident said:

The prof just said that they are too busy with marking midterms and assignments right now and would probably get it done late november

Wow. When did they agree to it in the first place? I once wrote a full page reference letter for a student I TA'd in about half an hour without a template. Your profs reason doesn't strike me as a good excuse, especially if they told you they would in advance. You should press them, but politely.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nestlepurelife said:

offer writing a draft that they can alter as they please

I wouldn't recommend this at all.  I would try to press them once more to see "if there is anything I could do to expedite this to get it in as close to the November 1 deadline as possible" or something like that.  If not, I might just ask someone else.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:22 PM, OnlyResident said:

I just followed up with the professor that told me they would write my a LOR and they said it wont be done on Nov 1. What do I do? 

How much notice did you give them? That should be unacceptable. Writing LORs for students to continue studies is a part of their job. They can say "no", of course, or "yes, but I don't think I could provide a good LOR" or "I'd be willing to do so but you haven't left me enough time", but they shouldn't be able to agree to do it and just fuck off.

I'd press them on this, politely, but I'd also try to find an alternative prof to help. If the original prof doesn't come through, I might consider emailing the chair/head of the department and tell them the prof agreed to write the letter but reneged and now you're scrambling.  

Some of the comments here are fairly negative, which may very well be justified.  Although who knows what is going on beyond what they told you that made them flake out.  Sometimes life really drops a shitstorm on you.  Anyway, I'm not writing this to defend the person (because it doesn't seem like an acceptable situation at this point), but just to caution you not to let anger creep into your follow up interaction with them and even not to let it creep into your request if you ask someone else.  I would merely tell the new requester that you had someone lined up well in advance, but that they said they could not do it very close to the due date.

• Like 2