CTS

Undergrad - Fourth Year Course Selection

Hello all,

I am seeking some feedback and guidance as I prepare to select courses for my final semester of undergrad, beginning this coming January. At present, I have completed the majority of my compulsory credits, and will be selecting a handful of free choice electives. My university requires that 36 credits be taken at the 3rd (3xx) and 4th (4xx) year levels. At this stage, I have taken 48 credits at the 3xx/4xx levels, well beyond the required total.

My question is with respect to how I should be selecting my remaining free choice electives. As a law school applicant, would I be at a disadvantage if I were to take a 2xx level course to fill one of these remaining electives? My thanks in advance for your time and thoughtful replies. 

Edited by CTS

I've said this in other threads, so I'll give you the same advice. 

It's general acceptance to take at least 3 300/400 level courses in each semester of 4th year. 

Taking a bunch of 100 and 200 level courses is not a loophole and law schools will see this.

Hope it helps~

12 minutes ago, ForensicAnthropology said:

I've said this in other threads, so I'll give you the same advice. 

It's general acceptance to take at least 3 300/400 level courses in each semester of 4th year. 

Taking a bunch of 100 and 200 level courses is not a loophole and law schools will see this.

Hope it helps~

Thanks! I'm certainly not looking for a loophole. I have limited time during the week, and it just so happens that a 2xx level elective fits well with my schedule.

This year, I will take a total of five full credit courses. Likely, these will be comprised of (3) at the 4xx level, and (2) at the 2xx level (one of the 2xx is compulsory, the other elective). Based on your note above, this seems within the range of what is generally acceptable, albeit on the cusp. 

In your opinion, would I be significantly better off to replace one of my 2xx with a 4xx? Does it really matter all that much? 

19 minutes ago, CTS said:

Thanks! I'm certainly not looking for a loophole. I have limited time during the week, and it just so happens that a 2xx level elective fits well with my schedule.

This year, I will take a total of five full credit courses. Likely, these will be comprised of (3) at the 4xx level, and (2) at the 2xx level (one of the 2xx is compulsory, the other elective). Based on your note above, this seems within the range of what is generally acceptable, albeit on the cusp. 

In your opinion, would I be significantly better off to replace one of my 2xx with a 4xx? Does it really matter all that much? 

No you don't need to replace it, you're good. 

From my experience law schools don’t really care what level of course you take in fourth year. 

During my undergraduate I took course which were in the 300s and 400s during my second and third year. When it came to fourth year I took 2 course in the 300/400 range and the remainder were 200 level course. 

I did this and had no problems being accepted into numerous Ontario schools. 

I dont really think its a problem. I took psych 100 and a 200 level course in my final semester. 

Thanks all - I appreciate the feedback and will likely inquire further with the admissions departments of specific schools I'm interested in.