shredded

3L Student Willing to Answer Anything and Everything, HONESTLY.

Ask me anything guys. I will answer as honestly as possible. I feel like there isn't enough of that and I really wish I could have asked certain questions before coming to law school. 

3 hours ago, Mydream123 said:

Is law school super hard? is their cliques? do professors actually care lol

I'm not OP but I want to weigh in:

Is law school super hard?

Depends on who you are and how you study. Some people find it considerably more difficult than others. There's no singular study method that works best. Personally, it hasn't been much harder than my bachelor of arts.

Is their cliques?

Yes. High school never ends. There are always cliques. There will be cliques in law school and there will be cliques at your future law firm.

Do professors actually care?

In general, yes. TRU law professors seem to care quite a bit about their students in my experience.

Is there any environmental law classes/clubs? 

On 10/18/2019 at 10:17 AM, RJar said:

Is there any environmental law classes/clubs? 

There is an environmental law class, and there's an environmental law club that organizes negotiation competitions involving mock 3-party negotiations between a government, a corporation, and a local community. Students also go to UBC every year to participate in a TRU/UBC/Uvic environmental law negotiation competition. Last year TRU sent multiple teams and took home 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

I studied something analytical in undergrad and got by without having to write major papers or read tons of stuff. I also dislike debating, public speaking, and speaking in general. Will I be able to survive law school?

15 hours ago, levin said:

I studied something analytical in undergrad and got by without having to write major papers or read tons of stuff. I also dislike debating, public speaking, and speaking in general. Will I be able to survive law school?

You can avoid writing papers in law school, but TRU does have a requirement that you write at least one 7,500 paper for one of your courses in order to graduate. Whether or not you can get away without reading much is entirely dependent on you. There are students who don't do the reading and get above average grades. There are also students who don't do the reading and barely pass. Readings can add up to hundreds of pages a week.

Also, you're required to participate in a mock trial near the end of first year - almost all law schools have this, so you can't avoid public speaking entirely.

If you can deal with those things, you can otherwise keep your head down and push through exams and avoid participating in mock trials, legal clinics, mock negotiations, etc. Once you're a lawyer you don't need to go to trial, you can be a solicitor and do paperwork/document drafting for your entire career.

• Thanks 1

How is the campus vibe? Are people into social justice? Are people friendly? 

Edited by penguinh

On 11/5/2019 at 1:11 PM, penguinh said:

How is the campus vibe?

It's a small-ish campus, with around 13,000 on-campus students. The law building is the top 2 floors of the Old Main building, which is convenient because the bottom 2 floors has cafes, computer labs, a medical clinic, a counseling office, etc. 

There's not a lot of food options on campus, but the campus is very close to several grocery stores and restaurants (less than a 10 minute walk). 

The campus is also located on the side of a small mountain, so it overlooks the valley and the Thompson River.

There's not a lot of opportunity to interact with people from other programs, but the law program has a lot of intramural teams (basketball, soccer, volleyball, dodgeball) and joining these teams gives you a great opportunity to meet other students. 

One of my favourite things about campus is the Scratch Cafe - students in the culinary program make breakfast and lunch and its sold in this cafe. The food is always reasonably priced and delicious, and the menu is always changing as the culinary students learn new things.

Are people into social justice?

The school has leaned more towards corporate law of late, but there is still a strong social justice interest among students. We have classes like Mental Health Law, Immigration and Refugee Law, Comparative International Indigenous Rights Law, etc.

The school also has students participate in "Truth and Reconciliation Day" once per year. In 1L we visited a residential school located here in Kamloops, in 2L we visited the salmon run, and in 3L we visited some of the public services in Kamloops designed to support the urban indigenous population that no longer belong to any particular nation. 

Then there are the student-run clubs: Access to Justice, Criminal Law, Human Rights, Women and Law, OUTlaws, Animal Law, Black Law Students Association, South Asian Law Students Association, Indigenous Law Students Association, etc.

Are people friendly? 

Exceedingly. It's a small school (~360 students) and most of the students are not from Kamloops, so generally speaking everyone tries to maintain a positive atmosphere because we're all stuck together for 3 years. 

• Thanks 1