MaggieNoodles

City Articling Salary Comparison

Hey everyone, I am compiling data on how much each municipality pays their articling students and 1st year associates. I know that articling students at the City of Mississauga get paid $37/hr but I don't have data on the other cities like the City of Toronto, the Halton Region, Peel Region, Durham Region etc. If you are someone who is/had/will article at any of these places or is an associate, please share your salary and benefits, if you want. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, MaggieNoodles said:

Their articling post on LinkedIn stated that the hourly pay is $37. 

Articling student working 40 hours a week? Also, I thought they go by salary basis and not hourly and no additional pay for overtime.

13 minutes ago, spicyfoodftw said:

$37/hr x 40 hours= $1,480/week. That is definitely not a Bay Street rate.

Actually, it is. Even assuming all firms rose to 1700-1900 last summer, on an hourly basis that very much is a bay street rate. It's more in fact. Rate is a key word here.

If you said pay generally, then I could agree with you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luckycharm said:

Articling student working 40 hours a week? Also, I thought they go by salary basis and not hourly and no additional pay for overtime.

Yea, I don't know if they made a mistake on their post. I heard the City of Toronto pays a salary of $67,000 per year which is still pretty high. We need people who have articled at these places before to confirm lol.

I believe the City of Toronto pays their students an annualized salary of 67k. I didn't article there, but that's my understanding.

Edited by beyondsection17

The going rate for large municipalities is around 37$ per hour, whereas the going rate for small municipalities (<300,000 people) is around 29$ per hour. The work week is 35 hours and you aren't usually required to work much longer than that.  There are usually no benefits, although, there are some exceptions (the City of Windsor).

For comparison, the salary is slightly higher than the provincial public sector if you work at at a large municipality, and slightly lower if you work at a small municipality. The workplace culture is very collegial and the work itself is sophisticated. 

Source: I articled at a small municipality; now work private practice doing municipal law.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 12:38 PM, MaggieNoodles said:

Hey everyone, I am compiling data on how much each municipality pays their articling students and 1st year associates. I know that articling students at the City of Mississauga get paid $37/hr but I don't have data on the other cities like the City of Toronto, the Halton Region, Peel Region, Durham Region etc. If you are someone who is/had/will article at any of these places or is an associate, please share your salary and benefits, if you want. Thank you!

It is totally based on the Agreement with the Principal or the law farms. I am articling at RichmondHill, far from my home I commute 1 hour total driving but get paid only $1000/month full time , Monday-Friday.

7 minutes ago, KhanMajlish said:

It is totally based on the Agreement with the Principal or the law farms. I am articling at RichmondHill, far from my home I commute 1 hour total driving but get paid only $1000/month full time , Monday-Friday.

I think the question was asking how much articling students and associates at municipalities are paid. Are you articling with the City of Richmond Hill?

1 minute ago, msk2012 said:

I think the question was asking how much articling students and associates at municipalities are paid. Are you articling with the City of Richmond Hill?

No really, but the law farm where I am articling is in Richmond Hill , not with the city