wtamow

General 2L Recruit Question Thread

I'm thinking maybe the process is still not done yet completely? 

There is the chance that someone is mulling over two competing offers; they have some time before they decide. 

They may just issue another offer to one or two people if things fall through. Maybe @Uriel can speak to their experience on this matter.

33 minutes ago, SassyLittleGenius said:

Silly Q: when do we get our confirmation emails? (Form one of the bigger Bay Street firms that normally hires 20+?)

Eventually. 

You got a job, congratulations.

• Haha 1

Through the wonders of gmail, I just pulled up my confirmation. I got it on the Friday of interview week.

• Thanks 1

I got my confirmation today and offer letter today so others should be coming in soon I imagine  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JaysFan364 said:

I'm thinking maybe the process is still not done yet completely? 

There is the chance that someone is mulling over two competing offers; they have some time before they decide. 

They may just issue another offer to one or two people if things fall through. Maybe @Uriel can speak to their experience on this matter.

It’s pretty rare for students to take a day to mull over offers. From my understanding, most firms have their rosters more or less set within the first five or ten minutes. To the extent there’s continued uncertainty, it’s normally resolved within 30 minutes to an hour. I’ve personally never heard of a student holding an offer overnight, although I’m sure it does happen. 

I don't know when exactly my firm finished but I got the list hours ago, so certainly not a full 24 hours by any stretch.

50 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

What percentage of a firm's summer class is still there by year 5 and where do those who leave end up?

Of my summer class I think it was 20 percent (1 of 5) at 5 years. I would say where they ended up but I can't remember who was a summer student and who only came at articling.

Of the articling class, its 33 percent I think (3 of 9) at 5 years out. Now at 8 years out it's 1 of 9.  

Edited by Adrian
  • Like 1

Osgoode's newspaper, Obiter Dicta, welcomes your feedback on this year's 2L recruit. You can submit a reflection anonymously through the following link: https://forms.gle/EuUGMfawD7Aswyx58

We will be accepting submissions until end of day, Tues Nov 12.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheObiterDicta said:

Osgoode's newspaper, Obiter Dicta, welcomes your feedback on this year's 2L recruit. You can submit a reflection anonymously through the following link: https://forms.gle/EuUGMfawD7Aswyx58

We will be accepting submissions until end of day, Tues Nov 12.

Oh god this will end well...

• Haha 2

This may have been asked already, but:

How difficult is it to get hired in the Ottawa recruit: 1) without any demonstrated connection to the city; and 2) not being bilingual?

Edited by kakoke

14 hours ago, kakoke said:

This may have been asked already, but:

How difficult is it to get hired in the Ottawa recruit: 1) without any demonstrated connection to the city; and 2) not being bilingual?

Depends. Which language do you speak?

Two years ago I had 8 OCI's, 2 in-firms, was very close but nothing.

A few months later I got a summer job at a small boutique firm. I ended up articling at the same firm and absolutely love it. 

The whole process was very random. I remember people who had 8-9 ITC's that ended up with nothing and others who had 1-2 ITC's that got job. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lawstudent3210 said:

Two years ago I had 8 OCI's, 2 in-firms, was very close but nothing.

A few months later I got a summer job at a small boutique firm. I ended up articling at the same firm and absolutely love it. 

The whole process was very random. I remember people who had 8-9 ITC's that ended up with nothing and others who had 1-2 ITC's that got job. 

That's really awesome. As someone who came close recently and then struck out at in-firms, it's comforting to hear this.

Was this boutique firm a place you reached out to on your own? If so, when is the appropriate time to start reaching out? i.e. is now the right time or too early for boutique firms to be considering summer students?

On 11/14/2019 at 1:28 PM, talos said:

That's really awesome. As someone who came close recently and then struck out at in-firms, it's comforting to hear this.

Was this boutique firm a place you reached out to on your own? If so, when is the appropriate time to start reaching out? i.e. is now the right time or too early for boutique firms to be considering summer students?

Around December/January/February a bunch of more firms, as well as government positions start appearing on a rolling basis. 

I just kept looking at my school job portal at what kept appearing and just kept applying to every firm/company/government branch I saw. I lucked getting hired in a field that I really really enjoy with a great group of lawyers.

Also this is far from the end of the road. The articling recruit right before you start 3rd year has a ton of firms, including a few of the big corporate firms if that's what you are interested in. I had a friend who had a bunch of in firms during OCI's, struck out, and then ended up getting an articling job at a sister firm during the articling recruit. This same guy actually got another offer at the articling recruit from a firm that rejected him during OCI's and he ended up choosing a different firm. Funny how that happened.

There are so many opportunities outside of the OCI recruit.

If you are interested in family, personal injury, employment or criminal, most of those firms appear in the articling recruit and not the formal OCI recruit. 

Good luck.

Edited by Lawstudent3210
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did Osler really hire 38 this year? That's what PrecedentJD is showing. But that would be a huge jump.

4 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

Did Osler really hire 38 this year? That's what PrecedentJD is showing. But that would be a huge jump.

No reason not to believe it, but it does look out of place.