wtamow

General 2L Recruit Question Thread

22 minutes ago, Goldfinch said:

Uriel, you're delightful and fantastic. And I know you didn't mean it this way -this is purely for some future student reading this who might be overly worried that not choosing/having a Bay St. job is a mistake. Especially since all hell might break loose in an hour. 

Not being on Bay St. does not mean you're/anyone is not a top student. Obviously. This shouldn't have to be said. Not all the top students do the recruit, and some who do don't get employed through it. Being on Bay St. or at a big firm is not always a reflection on how well a student did/didn't do in school. 

You are also delightful and fantastic, and yes - thanks for clarifying.  I was drastically oversimplifying in an attempt to be comforting.  As always, many of the top students (and certainly a lot of the most passionate students) didn't go to law school to go to Bay Street, and are angling towards other pursuits such as criminal defence, government work, policy or academics.

If I was more concerned about accuracy, I should have said that a significant proportion of the top quartile of your class will not work as hard from this point forward, which will have an upward effect on the grades of those who maintain previous levels of performance.

I'll go on repeating my refrain that Bay Street is a 1-3 year gig for most people, and after that point they're often beating down the doors trying to get the kind of jobs other people took when they skipped out on, or did not land a job during, the OCI process. 

You're right - not getting a Bay Street job isn't a mistake.  For some people, like me, it's a great career choice.  But for a lot of lawyers in private practice, even ten years out, it's completely unclear who might have had that experience and who did not.

• Like 2

What a shitty week. Wow. This process is absolutely fucked. 

Another one of the “fell through the cracks” cases. Strong A average from Osgoode, solid work experience, lots of extra curricular involvement, relatable interests like sports, more than 20 OCI invitations and a handful of in firms. Brand new fitted suits. Dressed to the fuckin 9s all 3 days. Stopped wasting my time at the firms where the vibe was off and invested more into the ones telling me all the right things. Said “first choice” after I had met with each firm multiple times, and at a time where this particular firm clearly wanted to hear it. Was met with super positive reactions and you start, for the first time, thinking you actually have a decent shot at having something to show for the last 5 months of effort and waiting and overall agony. And then it’s 5:00, and 5:05, and 5:15, and nothing. Damn. 

Congrats to all those who received offers. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 13

I'm pretty sure the people who got calls are too busy celebrating while the people who haven't gotten calls are still busy crying and punching the air

• Thanks 1

Went into this thing with 3 OCIs- 1 in firm- 1 offer! Obviously happy, but you can’t predict how it goes. Congrats to those who were successful, and big-ups to everyone else who went through this process. It’s a sort of broken system but my case may also be future proof to those that if the fit is right, you’ll find the right place.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

I got an offer from the firm I said I would work at right after OCIing with them... so sometimes your original intuition is correct. I am emotionally exhausted from being pulled in like five different directions all week but super happy that I stuck to my guns. 

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, RollMaster said:

Another one of the “fell through the cracks” cases. Strong A average from Osgoode, solid work experience, lots of extra curricular involvement, relatable interests like sports, more than 20 OCI invitations and a handful of in firms. Brand new fitted suits. Dressed to the fuckin 9s all 3 days. Stopped wasting my time at the firms where the vibe was off and invested more into the ones telling me all the right things. Said “first choice” after I had met with each firm multiple times, and at a time where this particular firm clearly wanted to hear it. Was met with super positive reactions and you start, for the first time, thinking you actually have a decent shot at having something to show for the last 5 months of effort and waiting and overall agony. And then it’s 5:00, and 5:05, and 5:15, and nothing. Damn. 

I knew someone exactly like you who was a year junior to me in law school. This person nailed it a couple years later at the articling recruit and scored a fantastic job. 

I hope a lot of people realize from your post that this process isn't an exact science. I'd go so far as to say that alchemy plays a part in it... But this isn't the end. If anything, having lived through the summer recruit, you're now better prepared to dazzle recruiters during the articling recruit. 

For your friends who go calls, go out and celebrate with them. Buy them a beer. Buy yourself two. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, RollMaster said:

Sorry to hear. It’s a shitty process and there’s no formula for success. Everyone else who got an offer likely did exactly what you did. When there are three identically qualified candidates for two slots, one of them has to get dinged. That’s just the way it works. 

You’ll have other opportunities. If you got that many OCIs, I would imagine you should not have to work that much harder to get a decent job either at the articling recruit or outside of the organized recruit early next year. 

As others have said, OCIs only account for like 20% of the jobs available. Plenty of people and up at Bay Street full service firms outside the process. If that’s your goal, don’t despair. Just be diligent about working to get the job you want. It might take a year (articling recruit) or more (lateral hire), but if you’ve got the chops for it it will happen. And having in-firms to your name clearly says you’ve got the chops. So keep on it!

Good luck everyone.

• Like 3

50 applications, 12 OCIs, 11 ITCs, 5 first interviews, 4 second interviews, 3 third interviews, 1 offer from my top choice.

This process is terrifying and I could have easily ended up with nothing. I made a gut decision that my brain was screaming at me not to do, and if I hadn't then I would have struck out. I never would have guessed that the firms I was visiting on the third day were not going to give me an offer.

Congrats to everyone who got what they wanted and sorry to anyone it didn't work out for... What a damn week.

Edited by chaboywb
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, RollMaster said:

I hear you man. That really fucking sucks. I got burned as well after being specifically told by a partner that everyone loved me and that I would “actually be a perfect fit with their team!”

It stings. But Ryn is right - when there are a handful of equally amazing candidates for one coveted spot, someone has to get dinged. It’s shitty. The process certainly is broken in many ways. Maybe the people you interviewed with aren’t as senior as the other interviewers who lobbied for their candidates, and they couldn’t do anything about. Maybe if you interviewed with that other person, it would be a different outcome Who fucking knows. An A average from Osgoode and 20 OCIs? That’s insane. You are going to kill it at the articling recruit.

I know my words can’t help now, but just know I feel your pain too and I agree it fucking sucks. I’m e-cheersing you right now with this beer. 

Edited by talos
  • Like 2

I know why I didn't get an offer. And I'm honestly just glad to have made it this far because I know at this point its just a matter of tweaking a few things. 

Had a decent package. Converted most of my OCIs to in-firms. But by the time in-firms rolled around this Monday, I was so worn down by the process and failing to take care of my own physical/mental health that I honestly wasn't a candidate worth hiring. The energy was gone, the enthusiasm was gone, the ability to have a normal conversation as a confident person was gone. I literally talked my way into OCIs, had 8:00AM callbacks for Monday in-firms even when I didn't send thank you notes. Just couldn't make it to the end

The only thing that pisses me off is the idea that people like RollMaster didn't get an offer but that, somewhere, that guy who half-assed his way thru 1L did get one 

Edited by kakoke
  • Like 3

3 OCIs, 3 in-firms, 0 offers. Time to think hard about the future.

Solidarity with the rest of you! This process is bullshit.

• Like 3

I know this doesn't make it sting any less, but years ago I had a single phone call (Vancouver process) at 8:02AM telling me that I did NOT get the job.  Then I had to go to the dentist. It was a bad day. 

Edited by spicyfoodftw
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

Since we’re sharing stories.

29 applications, 9 OCIs, 2 in-firms (one of which didn’t give me an ITC when other people got one).

I made it to day 3 with the firm that didn’t ITC me, but no offer.

I wish the process was over for me, this whole thing has been brutal and really sucked, but if I made it that far then I’m sure it’ll happen somewhere. At least it won’t be as intense now.

6 minutes ago, spicyfoodftw said:

I know this doesn't make it sting any less, but years ago I had a single phone call (Vancouver process) at 8:02AM telling me that I did NOT get the job.  Then I had to go to the dentist. It was a bad day. 

Happened to someone I know during the articling recruit. They were called on Call Day to be told they were the backup of the backup. Turns out the backup who received an offer later got their offer revoked because the firm didn't have the money to fund another articling position (global entity). 

Then this person (backup of the backup) received an email saying that they had another position opening up. This person got incredibly excited and emailed them back hoping to get another interview. Radio silence. 

It’s a really strange beast this whole process. The firm who ended up giving me an offer didn’t even offer me an interview on the third day. There’s is zero predictability I’m glad it’s over. Don’t want to do it again, and certainly feel for those who have more to do in order to secure employment. . 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RollMaster said:

Don't worry bro. Go clerk at an appellate court or SCC and you can work anywhere you want. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

Don't worry bro. Go clerk at an appellate court or SCC and you can work anywhere you want. 

Was my first thought too.

I just feel very discouraged. I know this recruit is not the end of the world but I really don't feel confident in my interviewing skills after so much rejection. I also wish I did not get my hopes up after hearing that my top choice called all of my references to then not get an offer from them. I'm not looking forward to going through this all again but overall, it was a good experience just very emotionally draining once you invest so much into it.