wtamow

General 2L Recruit Question Thread

I am an anxious person and have always struggled with it, but I honestly don't see how Newfoundland is going to be able to function at a law firm if they display this much anxiety about interviewing. Seriously, it's going to destroy them if they can't get a handle on it.

4 hours ago, spicyfoodftw said:

I am an anxious person and have always struggled with it, but I honestly don't see how Newfoundland is going to be able to function at a law firm if they display this much anxiety about interviewing. Seriously, it's going to destroy them if they can't get a handle on it.

I have heard classmates say similar, but for other anxious people, the pressure and potential anxiety of a law firm job is super different than the pressure and anxiety of the recruiting process. 

I don't want students to fall into the self-defeating trap of thinking that their feelings about the recruit mean anything about their competence or where they might fit in the legal field. 

I got a job with a national firm, and I love it. The work has never bothered me. The recruiting process really did. I was probably as anxious as Newfoundland about it, but I kept it more to myself. It didn't help, but post-recruit, it hasn't hurt. 

ETA: I also have been thinking, looking back, how much coming from different backgrounds makes a difference. Some people expect a certain job, and are confident going into the recruiting process because of that. Others find it hard to believe they could get such a job, and are reasonably more anxious about saying the right thing and fitting in.

Ultimately it's a job. Maybe your comfort with making small talk under pressure with people you see as superior to you might make you nervous and insecure. That doesn't mean you aren't cut out for the job itself. 

Edited by feraenaturae
  • Like 4

Any one know why the same firm may have asked you more conversational questions than substantive/behaviour etc type of questions to one student than to others?  Same persons, same firm. 

I did get asked generally by a few firms on why I left tech and if I would go back. I hope firms didn't think I was all out on tech. 

Edited by Newfoundland

1 hour ago, Newfoundland said:

Any one know why the same firm may have asked you more conversational questions than substantive/behaviour etc type of questions to one student than to others?  Same persons, same firm. 

I did get asked generally by a few firms on why I left tech and if I would go back. I hope firms didn't think I was all out on tech. 

Anyone who has ever worked in a previous profession and left for law (which is common btw) gets asked about it. They were probably making conversion. As long as you had a coherent answer (that wasn’t overly negative) it’s fine 

17 minutes ago, healthlaw said:

Anyone who has ever worked in a previous profession and left for law (which is common btw) gets asked about it. They were probably making conversion. As long as you had a coherent answer (that wasn’t overly negative) it’s fine 

Do you have any ideas why within the same firm some people got more behaviour/substantive questions whereas others got more conversational (same interviewers, similar personal backgrounds for the student etc). Or did you also mean that coherency to conversation is also fine?  Thank you! 

Edited by Newfoundland

9 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

Do you have any ideas why within the same firm some people got more behaviour/substantive questions whereas others got more conversational (same interviewers, similar personal backgrounds for the student etc). Or did you also mean that coherency to conversation is also fine?  Thank you! 

Would you want to have the same conversation 20 times in a row or would you want to change it up?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

See, this is where your nuttiness gets completely out of control. In order to ask these questions at all, you are obviously exiting these interviews and comparing detailed notes with other obsessive and neurotic students who also had interviews with the same firms. And I really can't emphasize this enough. Normal people don't do this. I'm sure you can find a few other classmates to engage in this behavior with you. But when you do that, you are inherently engaging with the craziest people in your class, because no one else is going to have this conversation with you at all.

There's no other way left to say this. But you need to calm down.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 10/10/2019 at 7:29 PM, wtamow said:

You can still get in-firms even if you don’t feel like you connected with people much?

Right

2 hours ago, Newfoundland said:

Some people say that an owl shape in the bottom of teacup portends sickness, while a triangle means that you should somehow expect unexpected good luck. And while trying to extract meaning from compost is good fun up to a point, I'd be a little bit concerned if I knew my future lawyer was spending too much time on the matter.

I feel the same way about your question. You're trying to read the tea leaves. You're free to do so. But it's a waste of time. 

Edited by realpseudonym
  • Haha 1

Do recruiters normally reply back to Thank you emails if they are/ are not going to ITC you? 

Am I reading too much if during the OCI I was not asked if I have any questions?

Replies back to thank you emails have nothing to do with ITCs.

Yes you are reading too much into that, and not doing enough reading of the posts people here make trying to help you.

5 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

Do recruiters normally reply back to Thank you emails if they are/ are not going to ITC you? 

Am I reading too much if during the OCI I was not asked if I have any questions?

Rashabon said everything I was about to. 

Holy shit man. Walk away from your computer and enjoy your Saturday morning. 

Just for the future when there are two people interviewing you and one person does like all the questions does it hurt you if you look more at the person who did the questions? I tried looking at both but there was one OCI that I don't think I did and it was partly because of the position of the chair was not straight and the placement of it

Edited by Newfoundland

34 minutes ago, easttowest said:

Rashabon said everything I was about to. 

Holy shit man. Walk away from your computer and enjoy your Saturday morning. 

I will soon. I was planing for a walk but the weather does not look too good :( 

Just now, Newfoundland said:

Just for the future when there are two people interviewing you and one person does like all the questions does it hurt you if you look more at the person who did the questions? I tried looking at both but there was one OCI that I don't think I did and it was partly of the position of the chairs were not straight. 

Seek professional help.

• Haha 1

Petition for the mods to ban or at the very least suspend this person until OCIs are over... 

I wouldn't do so. Perhaps this is a way for them to express themselves so not as to bottle up that anxiety to cause them further stress. @Newfoundland:

But please, don't microanalyze everything. It's not worth the added stress. You're reading into things way too much. Try to do something that isn't related to OCIs to relax. There is nothing more you can do to affect the outcome of what is about to happen. Focus on getting rest and enjoy this long weekend with friends and family!

• Like 2

If it’s radio silence on your end but you know others have heard back from firms, should you take that as a sign that you will not get an interview with them?

Most of my thank you letters went ignored but the ones that were answered had very curt replies (“Thank you, it was our pleasure” sort of thing). I don’t feel like any of my interviews went particularly well and hearing other people get in firms and detailed responses to their letters is making me feel like I really shit the bed.

14 minutes ago, wtamow said:

If it’s radio silence on your end but you know others have heard back from firms, should you take that as a sign that you will not get an interview with them?

Most of my thank you letters went ignored but the ones that were answered had very curt replies (“Thank you, it was our pleasure” sort of thing). I don’t feel like any of my interviews went particularly well and hearing other people get in firms and detailed responses to their letters is making me feel like I really shit the bed.

For UofT? Also, in firms were already sent??

1 hour ago, JaysFan364 said:

I wouldn't do so. Perhaps this is a way for them to express themselves so not as to bottle up that anxiety to cause them further stress. @Newfoundland:

But please, don't microanalyze everything. It's not worth the added stress. You're reading into things way too much. Try to do something that isn't related to OCIs to relax. There is nothing more you can do to affect the outcome of what is about to happen. Focus on getting rest and enjoy this long weekend with friends and family!

Thank you, I feel like it eases my anxiety when reading the posts and coming on the forum. 

Edited by Newfoundland