wtamow

General 2L Recruit Question Thread

1 minute ago, Newfoundland said:

Wait, there is a recruit right before exams? Is it as stressful and tough as the current ones with an OCI and in-firms? Are these corporate  buisness firms? Is it even more competitive to get these positions since they hire less?

Only Morgans.  The rest are less competitive because the top third of each law school class is no longer in the competition.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Uriel said:

@wtamow@BlockedQuebecois Did they move it up that far?  Last I heard the Beards Winter and the Shibleys Righton, etc. didn't get started until the new year; is that old info?

Applications for WeirFoulds, Singleton Reynolds, Robins Appleby, Loopstra Nixon, and Blaney McMurty are all due between Nov 11-13 

• Like 2

Wait, there is a recruit right before exams? Is it as stressful and tough as the current ones with an OCI and in-firms? Are these corporate  buisness firms? Is it even more competitive to get these positions since they hire less?

Dude. You. Need. To. Chill. 

If you’re actually as wound up as you present on this board, I think it would be a good idea to speak to a counsellor about managing your anxiety. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uriel said:

Sorry to hear, gang.  😑

Just remember that if you made it this far, you're employable as hell.  Getting through Tuesday means a substantial minority (or even majority) of the committee thought you were absolutely qualified for this job.  Because you are.

Thanks Uriel I really appreciate that 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kakoke said:

I know Weirfoulds and Blaney are starting up after OCIs

Oh wow, I'm so out of date I thought WF was still in the process.  Blaney I thought was among the next-year recruit.

Every law school should really make all of first-term 2L pass/fail or non-credit.  That's absurd.  And then clerkships, you poor bastards.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Uriel said:

Oh wow, I'm so out of date I thought WF was still in the process.  Blaney I thought was among the next-year recruit.

Every law school should really make all of first-term 2L pass/fail or non-credit.  That's absurd.  And then clerkships, you poor bastards.

Blaney has done it in November for the last couple of years at least. With Weirfoulds, don't they participate in the recruit and only hire 1-2 extra students later in the Fall? Robins and Loopstra Nixon usually participate in the summer articling recruit so this is a head start for them. Never seen Singleton in any student recruitment process. 

I think the point here is that firms, companies, and government employers depending on need will slowly start cropping up here and there. There may be quite a few surprises. 

I didn't want to say it in so many words, but there are also some... less good... firms that seize upon the panic everyone feels at this stage and recruit hard right now.  My advice eight years ago was generally to hold tight and wait for the interesting stuff to come up in the new year as new budgets come out and new fiscal years come to a close -- but forget that, I guess.  Some of these immediate-aftermath firms are very, very good.  Depending on your definition, WF and Blaney are Bay Street firms; we're all on the same cases and deals with similar clients. I certainly consider them peers.

It just really sucks you don't get a chance to catch your breath.  On the upside, I guess, it's possible your very recent interviewing could result in networking opportunities and references.

14 minutes ago, wtamow said:

Applications for WeirFoulds, Singleton Reynolds, Robins Appleby, Loopstra Nixon, and Blaney McMurty are all due between Nov 11-13 

so soon? :( idk how i can manage this and send new apps to them and write so many cover letters in a short span 

Edited by Newfoundland
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

so soon? :( idk how i can manage this and send new apps to them and write so many cover letters in a short span 

Take the advice of lawyers and prioritize your confidence, calmness, and peace of mind. You haven’t done that this round, I think we can admit, and you don’t feel you’re getting the outcomes you want. So it’s time soon to reconsider whether we’re right about this. 

• Like 1

All right folks, that makes it midnight for me and I've got lunches to pack.  Good luck to you all tomorrow --- looking forward to hearing a little good news, some tomorrow, the rest over the next few months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

Take the advice of lawyers and prioritize your confidence, calmness, and peace of mind. You haven’t done that this round, I think we can admit, and you don’t feel you’re getting the outcomes you want. So it’s time soon to reconsider whether we’re right about this. 

But how do I project that on written application materials? should I send the same as what i did to firms that have rejected me or start over? 

But how do I project that on written application materials? should I send the same as what i did to firms that have rejected me or start over? 

You should put these thoughts out of mind at bare minimum till the next week.

2 minutes ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

You should put these thoughts out of mind at bare minimum till the next week.

Its due in less than a week according to what people have posted on here

13 minutes ago, Uriel said:

I didn't want to say it in so many words, but there are also some... less good... firms that seize upon the panic everyone feels at this stage and recruit hard right now.  My advice eight years ago was generally to hold tight and wait for the interesting stuff to come up in the new year as new budgets come out and new fiscal years come to a close -- but forget that, I guess.  Some of these immediate-aftermath firms are very, very good.  Depending on your definition, WF and Blaney are Bay Street firms; we're all on the same cases and deals with similar clients. I certainly consider them peers.

It just really sucks you don't get a chance to catch your breath.  On the upside, I guess, it's possible your very recent interviewing could result in networking opportunities and references.

If I understand you correctly, WF and Blaney go ahead and apply but not others just yet and wait for the new year. Do they do this recruit to like 2-3 in-firms, lunches, dinners? What are these interesting stuff you are referring to? 

Just now, Newfoundland said:

Its due in less than a week according to what people have posted on here

Oh. Well in that case I’d just remind you that it sounds like you got plenty of OCIs and certainly enough to believe your written app is fine. And as Uriel said, you’re now one of the stronger candidates on paper in a diminished field. 

Your area to improve, I have no doubt, is coming off like a confident, fun, relaxed human. That’s what you’re going to have to work at and the work for now essentially means tuning back into real life and out of job app paranoia and minutiae. 

• Like 1

If I understand you correctly, WF and Blaney go ahead and apply but not others just yet and wait for the new year. Do they do this recruit to like 2-3 in-firms, lunches, dinners? What are these interesting stuff you are referring to? 

Be mindful that you’re already approaching the next stage as you did the first. Make that decision consciously.

11 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

Nope, what I was saying is that my information is outdated and that you should listen to other people about what the new deadlines are.

The "interesting stuff" is everything from boutique firms and out-of-market shops to government agencies that don't recruit in the fall.  Perhaps your CDO will have some information for you as to what opportunities came available in the previous couple of years in the early spring?

(I was going to go to bed but I was looking unsuccessfully for a .gif of someone knocking someone else out with a blackjack.)

25 minutes ago, Uriel said:

Nope, what I was saying is that my information is outdated and that you should listen to other people about what the new deadlines are.

The "interesting stuff" is everything from boutique firms and out-of-market shops to government agencies that don't recruit in the fall.  Perhaps your CDO will have some information for you as to what opportunities came available in the previous couple of years in the early spring?

(I was going to go to bed but I was looking unsuccessfully for a .gif of someone knocking someone else out with a blackjack.)

I know to relax but are interviews, receptions, dinners etc at these firms still conversational or are they more substantive? Is it same cover letter/resume would do the trick for them? I did get some OCIs so my written app was not way off. 

32 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

I know to relax but are interviews, receptions, dinners etc at these firms still conversational or are they more substantive? Is it same cover letter/resume would do the trick for them? I did get some OCIs so my written app was not way off. 

I don't think it had anything to do with your written apps. The sense I got -as a fellow colleague going through this same process- is that the in-firm interview stage didn't go as well as you planned.

I took a much different approach and didn't do much prep at all apart from briefly reading the bios of all the people I was slated to meet with that day. 

After that, I just went into it being myself and trying to have a natural conversation with my interviewers. No pre-made lines. No speeches. I answered their questions to the best of my ability in what I believe was an honest way. 

I obviously can't say how successful this strategy was until Wednesday evening, but I got a positive response from every firm I gave strong signals to during the Monday interview.

I'd encourage you to do some mock interviews (if possible) with your career development office where you just wing it. Just go into the interview with very limited prep and see how it turns out. 

I recall you asked if certain types of questions (behavioural vs others) gave away certain kinds of signals from interviewers. To be honest, I've gone through this process with over 20 Interviews so far and I don't think I can readily identify -in the moment- what a behavioural Q is vs other types. I answer whatever Q is thrown at me as if it were my friend asking the same Q. I was really surprised at the level of analysis that you applied to this process. Frankly, it made me anxious on the weekend because I wasn't prepping much at all as compared to you (or at least from what I read based on your questions).

I don't know if this will help you in thinking about this recruitment process differently, but I thought maybe it would help hearing more from a fellow student in the trenches with you currently that is experiencing this stressful recruit cycle with you. 

Cheers and good luck!

Edited by JaysFan364
  • Like 1