Normal progression of a lawyer's career:

1) Graduate law school

2) Get a job. A job. any job.

3) Get called to the bar.

4) Learn what the law actually is.

5) Learn how to be a lawyer

6a) Build a book of business

6b) Leave private practice.

You need to focus on where you are at right now. You are at 0.

What an incredibly depressing view of law and legal careers.

3 minutes ago, sman99 said:

CHILL. NOW.

Normal progression of a lawyer's career:

1) Graduate law school

2) Get a job. A job. any job.

3) Get called to the bar.

4) Learn what the law actually is.

5) Learn how to be a lawyer

6a) Build a book of business

6b) Leave private practice.

You need to focus on where you are at right now. You are at 0.

But what if I have nothing tomorrow and the goal is full service firm? Should I  go get a LLM to have another shot?  What if I graduate with a JD with no job, do people in these cases just go to buisness in general or would this be a challenge?  What happens after 6b?

Just now, Newfoundland said:

But what if I have nothing tomorrow and the goal is full service firm? Should I  go get a LLM to have another shot?  What if I graduate with a JD with no job, do people in these cases just go to buisness in general or would this be a challenge?  What happens after 6b?

Go do your readings. Take a week off the job recruit - start again.

2 minutes ago, sman99 said:

Go do your readings. Take a week off the job recruit - start again.

I have been in job search mode for almost a year. I do not know how much longer I can take it

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

Are lateral hires treated diffierently at a major bay street firm for not starting as a student? 

Yep.  If you come in fairly senior you might have to pay your dues for an extra year or two before you're considered for partnership.  Come in early enough and you'll have time to make the connections you need to make your pitch at the normal rate.

What if we dont have a book of buisness in a mid size firm what can we do to increase our chances of getting hired on a bay street firm. More generally, what can I do today as a law student to increase my chances of a lateral hire

Be a good enough lawyer that we've heard of you when we go looking.  I know it's a struggle to imagine that there isn't a superstructure at play or metrics to meet, but at some point one of our groups will require a lateral because they have more work than they have bodies to do it, and they'll have a meeting to discuss if there are any candidates they can think of for hiring.  Maybe they'll call a recruiter right away, maybe someone has worked with you before or attended a talk you gave, or something.  It's nothing more concrete than that.

7 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

But are these lateral hire partners that you talk about starting from another similar size/tier law firm or actually started out in a mid size firm? 

Just like I said - they started out in a mid-sized firm.  No point giving up a fourth-year position at Stikes for a fourth-year position at Blakes; it's the same job except you're burning up all the goodwill and progress towards partnership you've already made.

Also, is it a lot harder and way more competitive to get a Bay street job after tomorrow since there's still so many applicant but for even fewer seats ?

Yes.  But also consider that your toughest competition all just got hired somewhere else.

2 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

I have been in job search mode for almost a year. I do not know how much longer I can take it

You need a break from your anxiety and you need to put some distance between this process and yourself. Then you can think about next steps if needed. Not before.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newfoundland said:

Sounds like a perfect time for a vacation.  You're not going to get a job between now and the end of January.  Put it out of your mind for a bit.  Lawyers are profoundly employable people.  You're in total limbo as to where you're going, but there's very little suspense as to whether or not you'll get a good job.  You will.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

You're graduating from one of the best law schools, probably have good application materials if you're being invited for interviews, and have plenty of support here. Hang in there man 

Edited by Trew
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Uriel said:

Sounds like a perfect time for a vacation.  You're not going to get a job between now and the end of January.  Put it out of your mind for a bit.  Lawyers are profoundly employable people.  You're in total limbo as to where you're going, but there's very little suspense as to whether or not you'll get a good job.  You will.

I just can't imagine how I would enjoy the holiday. All would be on my mind is job and the stress that is coming up for  it on top of law school. 

22 minutes ago, talos said:

Damn, just got the rejection email after being asked for a second interview, and completing it Tuesday afternoon. Had one of the partners even email me after the first interview on Monday to say that he thinks I’d be a fantastic fit with the rest of the team. Savage. It stings but, life will go on. 

Thanks to everybody for the help in this thread, it’s been fun sharing in the collective neuroticism together. Wishing everyone good luck tomorrow. 

Here I was thinking that the email I got calling me a very impressive candidate and how happy they were to meet me, combined with all the other stuff during the interview, meant I was basically guaranteed the job.  I haven't gotten rejected, but I'm now a lot less sure of my phone ringing after 5 pm tomorrow than I was 10 minutes ago.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Uriel said:

There is a mini recruit after this. About four or five incredibly respectable mid-size firms recruit right after OCIs are done. The applications start being accepted basically on the seventh and some people who Newfoundland goes to school with found positions that way after striking out in the recruit. So I would say wait until at least the end of the week.

Honestly @Newfoundland, just keep going. I don’t even want to post how many interviews I’ve done these past two years as practice for this, because it’s embarrassing, but it probably rivals the number of interviews people like Uriel have conducted. It gets easier after each one and you sort of stop taking the process as neurotically and learn to just be yourself after a while and figure out what is right for you. Also, there is real psychology behind being desensitized to rejection... it basically changes you as a person. If I don’t get a job tomorrow night, I’m sure the initial feelings will suck, but there are still more interviews over the next two years. You’ve been exposed to interviews at this point and for your next set of interviews (which will occur sooner than you think!) you will have a leg up on the very many people who didn’t even get to the OCI or in-firm stage of this process, and that is meaningful by itself. 

Edited by wtamow

23 minutes ago, Uriel said:

Although I agree that Newfoundland needs a vacation (and will be much more likely to get a job if he chills and reflects for a bit), I think it should be noted for other students that there is a bit of a recruit immediately following the OCI process for mid-size and boutique firms. I know a fair number of students who got jobs in the weeks following the 2L recruit. 

But yeah, Newfoundland, get on a flight to Cuba or something. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, talos said:

Damn, just got the rejection email after being asked for a second interview, and completing it Tuesday afternoon. Had one of the partners even email me after the first interview on Monday to say that he thinks I’d be a fantastic fit with the rest of the team. Savage. It stings but, life will go on.

7 minutes ago, Shankar said:

Here I was thinking that the email I got calling me a very impressive candidate and how happy they were to meet me, combined with all the other stuff during the interview, meant I was basically guaranteed the job.  I haven't gotten rejected, but I'm now a lot less sure of my phone ringing after 5 pm tomorrow than I was 10 minutes ago.  

Sorry to hear, gang.  😑

Just remember that if you made it this far, you're employable as hell.  Getting through Tuesday means a substantial minority (or even majority) of the committee thought you were absolutely qualified for this job.  Because you are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wait, there is a recruit right before exams? Is it as stressful and tough as the current ones with an OCI and in-firms? Are these corporate  buisness firms? Is it even more competitive to get these positions since they hire less?

6 minutes ago, Shankar said:

I wouldn’t read too much into it either way. I think at this stage, hopefully you’ve given the best you could, and the best thing you can do is stay positive and be patient. Just a few more hours until you find out either way.

Obviously I’m a little salty, because I felt the comment I received in particular was unusually specific and seemed like some kind of positive hint. But as others have said here, this is a lesson not to read too much into the fine details of emails or “signals”. Just do your best, stay positive, and hope for the best when the time comes tomorrow. Good luck to you tomorrow I hope you get some good news.

• Like 1

Just now, Uriel said:

@wtamow@BlockedQuebecois Did they move it up that far?  Last I heard the Beards Winter and the Shibleys Righton, etc. didn't get started until the new year; is that old info?

I know Weirfoulds and Blaney are starting up after OCIs