Jump to content
wtamow

General 2L Recruit Question Thread

Recommended Posts

Btw, I've always wondered which are the firms that are known for leading people on even up to Wednesday and no-offering. The 3Ls I've spoken to always refer to such firms without ever explicitly naming them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many people get to day 3? I got a day three interview and I’m wondering once again if I’m a backup plan that’s going to be cut right after. I feel like some firms just bring everyone to day 3... that can’t be the true, right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Btw, I've always wondered which are the firms that are known for leading people on even up to Wednesday and no-offering. The 3Ls I've spoken to always refer to such firms without ever explicitly naming them.

I really want to know this as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wtamow said:

How many people get to day 3? I got a day three interview and I’m wondering once again if I’m a backup plan that’s going to be cut right after. I feel like some firms just bring everyone to day 3... that can’t be the true, right?

Why are you wondering these things? Just roll with it, your week sounds like it’s still going well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wtamow said:

How many people get to day 3? I got a day three interview and I’m wondering once again if I’m a backup plan that’s going to be cut right after. I feel like some firms just bring everyone to day 3... that can’t be the true, right?

Does it matter? Nobody here can tell you whether you are a backup plan or not, so does knowing the percentage of people actually help you in any way? 

The reason you’ll never get actual firm names out of students (or most lawyers) is because nobody is going to slight a major law firm without knowing the whole story. For every “X firm brought me in on the third day and then didn’t call me!” story floating through the halls of law schools, there’s a “X candidate was doing great, but then made a misogynistic joke during lunch, so we pulled the cord” story floating through the halls of a law firm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, wtamow said:

How many people get to day 3? I got a day three interview and I’m wondering once again if I’m a backup plan that’s going to be cut right after. I feel like some firms just bring everyone to day 3... that can’t be the true, right?

I feel this

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Does it matter? Nobody here can tell you whether you are a backup plan or not, so does knowing the percentage of people actually help you in any way? 

The reason you’ll never get actual firm names out of students (or most lawyers) is because nobody is going to slight a major law firm without knowing the whole story. For every “X firm brought me in on the third day and then didn’t call me!” story floating through the halls of law schools, there’s a “X candidate was doing great, but then made a misogynistic joke during lunch, so we pulled the cord” story floating through the halls of a law firm. 

I had an interview this morning where the recruiter person was really pressuring me to say first choice. I also don’t want to end up jobless after having been pursued all week. I just want to make sure I’m saying “I love you” to the right person here, man.

EDIT: I’m going to be saying it to the firm that I want to say it to, back-ups be damned... I guess I just wanted to vent.

Edited by wtamow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wtamow said:

I had an interview this morning where the recruiter person was really pressuring me to say first choice. I want to say it to a different firm. I also don’t want to end up jobless after having been pursued all week. I just want to make sure I’m saying “I love you” to the right person here, man.

EDIT: I’m going to be saying it to the firm that I want to say it to, back-ups be damned... I guess I just wanted to vent.

It's really frustrating when firms do this, I'm sorry you had that experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, easttowest said:

It's really frustrating when firms do this, I'm sorry you had that experience. 

Yeah. Also illegal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive had the opposite experience... Every interview has gone great, multiple third interviews, but nobody has asked me if they're my top choice or how they rank. I guess firms follow the rules more than I was lead to believe... Or I'm not one of their priorities!

Edited by chaboywb
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, easttowest said:

It's really frustrating when firms do this, I'm sorry you had that experience. 

She wasn’t doing it in a way that was against law society rules. She was just laying it on really thick with compliments and trying to figure out where the firm stood and telling me a lot of things I wanted to hear. 

Luckily like @chaboyw said, everyone else I have spoken with has been very, very great and no one else has asked me how they are ranked. And I’m not offended, it was nice to hear about how nice she thought I was, etc. It just kind of makes it difficult for me to decide.

Edited by wtamow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^that is a bit different. 

I have heard horror stories, so I’m glad that wasn’t your experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Come on man. It’s not illegal.

To pressure you to say first choice? Unless it's changed, I remember there being an explicit rule as part of the recruitment that firms can't do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pzabbythesecond said:

To pressure you to say first choice? Unless it's changed, I remember there being an explicit rule as part of the recruitment that firms can't do that.

Yes, it’s against the LSO’s silly, made up, and unenforceable rules. It’s not illegal.

Calling it illegal is hyperbole, and based on the personalities in this thread you’re going to end up with someone calling the cops if you call it illegal :rolling:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Yes, it’s against the LSO’s silly, made up, and unenforceable rules. It’s not illegal.

Calling it illegal is hyperbole, and based on the personalities in this thread you’re going to end up with someone calling the cops if you call it illegal :rolling:

By illegal I meant in violation of rules (laws) in place which govern this process. 

Things can be illegal without involving the penal state. You know better than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Yes, it’s against the LSO’s silly, made up, and unenforceable rules. It’s not illegal.

 

Technically the rules do not even prevent firms from pressuring you to tell them if you'll accept their offer. They just can't *unduly* pressure you. I am not sure what kind of weasel thought it necessary to add the word undue in there, but it is.

The commentary to the rule also studiously refuses to say the firms are not allowed to do it in a veiled or indirect way, just that it's "considered inappropriate" to do that.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Yes, it’s against the LSO’s silly, made up, and unenforceable rules. It’s not illegal.

Calling it illegal is hyperbole, and based on the personalities in this thread you’re going to end up with someone calling the cops if you call it illegal :rolling:

Maybe "out of status" is a better word.

.

.

.

Edit: I jest. 

Edited by thegoodlaw
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one asked me top choice and I got no acceptances or hints so I think if they ask indirectly its a good thing  for the candiate (if they want the firm too, of course)

Edited by Newfoundland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

If you feel good with a firm do you have to go back on Wednesday? I feel like its not necessary but I'm not sure.

 

5 hours ago, Pascale said:

I was wondering this as well. Is it safe to assume firms have a decision on where you stand by today? 

No, there will still be meetings tonight.  We're starting to get a sense of who's a lock and who's a no, but there's still a squishy middle to be negotiated.

If you feel good with the firm (as in, you want to take a job there), don't leave it up to chance.  Go tell the recruiter this is the firm you want to work at and then ask if you can come back on Wednesday.  The recruiter can't make an offer to you, but they can (I think) express gratitude and excitement and decline to schedule a Wednesday interview.  Not sure exactly how that goes, but it goes.

In my case, I scheduled a Wednesday interview after I thought I killed it on Tuesday.  My interview was scheduled with the recruiter.  When I showed up on Wednesday morning, she threw her arm around my shoulders, asked me what I was doing here and told me to go home and have a beer.

1 hour ago, chaboywb said:

Ive had the opposite experience... Every interview has gone great, multiple third interviews, but nobody has asked me if they're my top choice or how they rank. I guess firms follow the rules more than I was lead to believe... Or I'm not one of their priorities!

Most of us are pretty scrupulous about following the rules to the maximum extent we can.  We also remember what the pressure is like, and we don't want to be That Guy leaning on you for a ranking when you're not ready.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...