wtamow

General 2L Recruit Question Thread

9 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

Thanks! Another question that I know a few of us had after chatting on Facebook is what usually happens if during the first interview it went not so well and the second round interview at the same firm/same day went well? Do firms require unanimity usually to move forward? Would it be strange to get contrasting feedback? How fast are feedbacks processed?

No, unanimity isn’t required but it certainly may happen for top candidates. People often have different opinions of people, as in everyday life. How polarizing they are/what it was that made someone not like a candidate affects the impact of others not liking them. Feedback is obtained on an ongoing basis.

When is the "cut off" to know if I get invited back on Tuesday? My 8am firm has not gotten back to me yet... (nor firms later on in the day)

9 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

When is the "cut off" to know if I get invited back on Tuesday? My 8am firm has not gotten back to me yet... (nor firms later on in the day)

Why don't you reach out to the head recruiter and say that you'd like to come back tomorrow

7 minutes ago, RollMaster said:

Why don't you reach out to the head recruiter and say that you'd like to come back tomorrow

It's 5:30pm though right now. can it still be done?

Just now, Newfoundland said:

Yes. Some firms stay up late to follow up.

I think so. It's not super late yet and they're probably still making decisions, so letting them know that you're still interested can only help. Worst case scenario, they say no, and you're in the same boat that you're in now.

6 minutes ago, RollMaster said:

I think so. It's not super late yet and they're probably still making decisions, so letting them know that you're still interested can only help. Worst case scenario, they say no, and you're in the same boat that you're in now.

So just email the student recruiter in this case and not other lawyers you talked to?   Is it odd to be asking for a followup interview?  Would 5:30pm be a fair time to contact them like I am not pre-empting a followup email that they plan on sending later tonight? 

2 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

So just email the student recruiter in this case and not other lawyers you talked to?   Is it odd to be asking for a followup interview?  Would 5:30pm be a fair time to contact them like I am not pre-empting a followup email that they plan on sending later tonight? 

Omg bruh don't overthink it. Just send an email. 

15 minutes ago, Pascale said:

Omg bruh don't overthink it. Just send an email. 

🤣

Do lawyers give hints in thank you emails like instructed to say we look forward to seeing you again (if you are a top candidate for them) as opposed to like Good luck in the process or nice meeting you today too? Or do firms typically don't want lawyers that interviewed you to give the hints and have it come from the HR centrally etc? 

Edited by Newfoundland

3 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

Do lawyers give hints in thank you emails like instructed to say we look forward to seeing you again (if you are a top candidate for them) as opposed to like Good luck in the process or nice meeting you today too? Or do firms typically don't want lawyers that interviewed you to give the hints and have it come from the HR centrally etc? 

Uriel answered this already. 

Please stop reading hints. Convey your interest and let the chips fall where they may.

Do you pretty much need to have  a second round at a firm to be hired? 

Yes, if you aren’t invited back end of tonight, I’d move on to other firms

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Oddduck said:

Yes, if you aren’t invited back end of tonight, I’d move on to other firms

What time do you roughly say to call it a day? Should I still go their lunches/dinners/receptions tomorrow etc if I am not invited back? 

52 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

It’s the responsibility of the third tallest associate you met that day to give the hints, unless mercury is in retrograde, in which case the honor falls to the shortest lawyer you met. If they didn’t “accidentally” write one sentence in all caps, you’re out of luck. Unless you find the jade monkey. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

What time do you roughly say to call it a day? Should I still go their lunches/dinners/receptions tomorrow etc if I am not invited back? 

Oh my heavens yes, show up at lunches you weren’t invited to. 

3 minutes ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

Oh my heavens yes, show up at lunches you weren’t invited to. 

I was but in advance but I hvave no call backs so idk what to make of it :(

2 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

I was but in advance but I hvave no call backs so idk what to make of it :(

You don’t know whether to go to a recruiting firm’s lunch, which you were invited to, when you have no other plans? As opposed to what?