wtamow

General 2L Recruit Question Thread

26 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

I think it is when you order when the waitress ask what do you want and you say "water" or "sprite". That's a good idea though to order sparkling water at in firms. Are drinks usually ordered by the partner for the table like What wine does everyone want (order a bottle) or individual? 

Any other suggestion for non-alcoholic drinks at in-firm dinners?

Man act like a human being and order what you want to drink, nobody cares.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Is it normal to have still not received interview time confirmations from firms? I'm still waiting on a number.

Same, as of monday night

1 hour ago, Shankar said:

I mean, I’ll just drink the wine, but how does a sparkling water differ from a soft drink? I don’t think people are going to be going around smelling glasses to make sure it’s water and not sprite. 

It's not weird to order a steak and a sparkling water. It is weird to order a steak and a sprite. 

Realistically, it's because soft drinks don't match up with the level of formality most in-firm dinners have. It's also why ordering a beer would strike me as odd.

And as much as @Jaggers and @Rashabon say it would never matter, I don't think that's fully true. It's never going to be determinative – no firm would ever drop someone because they ordered coke. But if someone is a little bit off at dinner, isn't clicking well with their hosts, etc, having a weird drink order is just another subconscious clue that the person is a bad "fit" for the firm. I imagine both of them would be put off by someone ordering the chicken and a hot chocolate, and though they'd never write to the recruiter saying don't hire X because of the hot chocolate incident, it would likely sway their subconscious impression of an individual. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

It's not weird to order a steak and a sparkling water. It is weird to order a steak and a sprite. 

Realistically, it's because soft drinks don't match up with the level of formality most in-firm dinners have. It's also why ordering a beer would strike me as odd.

And as much as @Jaggers and @Rashabon say it would never matter, I don't think that's fully true. It's never going to be determinative – no firm would ever drop someone because they ordered coke. But if someone is a little bit off at dinner, isn't clicking well with their hosts, etc, having a weird drink order is just another subconscious clue that the person is a bad "fit" for the firm. I imagine both of them would be put off by someone ordering the chicken and a hot chocolate, and though they'd never write to the recruiter saying don't hire X because of the hot chocolate incident, it would likely sway their subconscious impression of an individual. 

That was my fear about the subconscious.  I have not dined at these places before growing up etc so I am not really familiar, but what other non-alcoholic drinks do people at these formal dinners usually order aside from sparkling water and just water? Would a mocktail also be too casual for this? Sorry for asking a few questions on drinks because this is new to me as I never grew up dining at these places or drinking alcoholic stuff in part for health reasons,which I do not rally want tell others at the dinner either as a reason why.   Anyways, if I see nothing on the menu I will just order sparkling water, I quite like it and do not often get the chance to drink it.  

How long do these dinners ussually last? Is 90 mins a good estimate or should I budget more? 

Edited by Newfoundland

8 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

That was my fear about the subconscious.  I have not dined at these places before growing up etc so I am not really familiar, but what other non-alcoholic drinks do people at these formal dinners usually order aside from sparkling water and just water? Like what is usually offered that is non-alcoholic  aside from sparkling water that is also still formal? Anyways, if I see nothing on the menu I will just order sparkling water, I quite like it and do not often get the chance to drink it. 

Why are you thinking about this still? Is there ever a situation where you NEED a soda? You can have one any time. The conclusion here seems to be that wine, sparkling or plain water are typical, non-controversial choices. So go with one. Grab a coke from McDonalds when your dinner is done if need be.

I have also never dined at classy restaurants and don't claim to. All I know is that juice or pop could potentially send a signal of immaturity to certain people. It's silly, but it's possible. 

Edit: I'm not trying to rag on you Newfoundland. I really hope you can chill out a bit. Food just has some weird rules and you never know who you'll be dining with. Put your napkin on your lap, don't salt your food before tasting it, and don't dip your steak in ketchup.

Edited by chaboywb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

That was my fear about the subconscious.  I have not dined at these places before growing up etc so I am not really familiar, but what other non-alcoholic drinks do people at these formal dinners usually order aside from sparkling water and just water? Like what is usually offered that is non-alcoholic  aside from sparkling water that is also still formal? Anyways, if I see nothing on the menu I will just order sparkling water, I quite like it and do not often get the chance to drink it. 

I can't think of anything else that fits the niche. Sparkling water is classy, which is why really nice restaurants often have a couple different kinds of it and have it profitably priced. Ordering another non-alcoholic beverage would be a little more out of the ordinary and could perhaps draw that subconscious inference BQ mentions.

But I have to say I smile at the thought of someone walking around one of these functions, holding a Shirley Temple. ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GrumpyMountie said:

I can't think of anything else that fits the niche. Sparkling water is classy, which is why really nice restaurants often have a couple different kinds of it and have it profitably priced. Ordering another non-alcoholic beverage would be a little more out of the ordinary and could perhaps draw that subconscious inference BQ mentions.

But I have to say I smile at the thought of someone walking around one of these functions, holding a Shirley Temple. ;)

sparkling water it is. Thank you all for the help.   When you say different kinds, are these brand names or different tastes? I wish more people would know about my physical health issues with alcohol. 

Edited by Newfoundland

For alcohol, can you get a cocktail instead of wine? Ideally I'd get an old fashioned just because I hate the taste so I'd spend the entire dinner slowly sipping it. Is and old fashioned a safe choice and what are other safe cocktail choices?

Edited by harveyspecter993

34 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Good advice, I'm going to drink diet coke at every dinner and reception I attend to weed myself out of the firms that I don't want to be working at.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Fair enough.  It's not exactly normal, but I wouldn't say steak and Sprite is offputting either. But, if one is the type of person to go over every detail and obsess about mostly pointless stuff when thinking about why they didn't get an offer, then it's better to be safe.  Just for their own sanity.  

44 minutes ago, xdarkwhite said:

Good advice, I'm going to drink diet coke at every dinner and reception I attend to weed myself out of the firms that I don't want to be working at.

I'm now hoping I get asked if I'd like water or something before an actual in-firm interview so I can request a glass of milk. 

To be clear, if you’re a weird person who acts strange and orders a Sprite, you may be remembered as the weird person who ordered a Sprite. But if you are acting like a normal person and doing a good job at your dinner/job interview and order a Sprite, no one will care what you order. 

Yes, what you drink could play a part in the impression you form. But there are roughly 8 million things you do or say at a dinner that are more important to the impression you form than what you drink.

• Like 6

The problem is that there are two topics going on right now. One is the topic of appropriate conduct at a semi-fancy dinner. The other is Newfoundland's anxiety.

I find the first topic kinda interesting. And it's interesting to me partly because this is one of the many, subtle opportunities for candidates who aren't from money to stumble. Now I'm in criminal defence these days. I can eat a burger in my lap while wearing a bib that reads "it isn't harassment if she likes it" and probably get away with it. But I still remember trying to function in these more formal environments in law school and feeling genuinely out of my depth. Stupid, minor things that most people don't think of if they come naturally to them really bothered me. I do find this an interesting topic.

That said, the level of anxiety that Newfoundland brings to this - and every - discussion is unhealthy. Enough so that I don't think you can have both discussions at once. Even normal observations about whether X or Y might be slightly odd or how to navigate around such issues ... that discussion is genuinely unhealthy for Newfoundland right now. I feel for this guy. He'll be going into interviews with five pages of notes on how to order dinner like a normal person. He'll be lucky if his head doesn't explode before he sits down.

Anyway. Both interesting and valid topics. But Newfoundland - seriously, while people will answer questions because we're wired to do so, you need to know that this level of granularity isn't helping you. The best advice to follow is the same one people keep giving you. Try to calm down.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Newfoundland said:

I have not dined at these places before growing up etc so I am not really familiar

Anyways, if I see nothing on the menu I will just order sparkling water, I quite like it and do not often get the chance to drink it.  

If you're apprehensive about eating at nice restaurants just do what you feel to be very safe and order a sparkling water, otherwise you might get more nervous.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I honestly agree with this and don’t think you’re being an asshole. Personally, I wouldn’t care if someone ordered a sprite or beer with their steak. But I also know I’ve been cut during interviews for far less, so clearly there are people that do care about certain things like this. 

if you’re a stellar candidate who everyone wants then you could probably get away with being as different as you want. If you’re on the edge I would steer clear of it lest someone on the student committee cares about things like this.

Edited by wtamow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Diplock said:

The problem is that there are two topics going on right now. One is the topic of appropriate conduct at a semi-fancy dinner. The other is Newfoundland's anxiety.

I find the first topic kinda interesting. And it's interesting to me partly because this is one of the many, subtle opportunities for candidates who aren't from money to stumble. Now I'm in criminal defence these days. I can eat a burger in my lap while wearing a bib that reads "it isn't harassment if she likes it" and probably get away with it. But I still remember trying to function in these more formal environments in law school and feeling genuinely out of my depth. Stupid, minor things that most people don't think of if they come naturally to them really bothered me. I do find this an interesting topic.

That said, the level of anxiety that Newfoundland brings to this - and every - discussion is unhealthy. Enough so that I don't think you can have both discussions at once. Even normal observations about whether X or Y might be slightly odd or how to navigate around such issues ... that discussion is genuinely unhealthy for Newfoundland right now. I feel for this guy. He'll be going into interviews with five pages of notes on how to order dinner like a normal person. He'll be lucky if his head doesn't explode before he sits down.

Anyway. Both interesting and valid topics. But Newfoundland - seriously, while people will answer questions because we're wired to do so, you need to know that this level of granularity isn't helping you. The best advice to follow is the same one people keep giving you. Try to calm down.

Thank you all. I have already settled the drink issue and I am relaxed about it now and not stressing over it anymore. It was my insecurities in part for a  health issue .  It seemed like there were two camps about the issue when it comes to ordering coke, juice but water is something both sides agree on. 

Edited by Newfoundland
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, xdarkwhite said:

Yeah honestly this needed to be said. Isn't it pretty obvious that you wouldn't want to work with lawyers who consciously or subconsciously take issue with your choice of drink at a fancy restaurant. I asked for coke zero (and settled with coke), and mentioned that I did not drink alcohol when asked, at every dinner/lunch I attended during this process. If the lawyers you meet expect you to act like the french aristocracy, then why would you ever want to work for them? And if you cannot be your normal decent self, enjoying a refreshing coke zero with your steak or fancy fish dish, then that is a good sign that the firm probably isn't a good fit.

• Like 2

Just now, harveyspecter993 said:

Do firms talk to each other about students during the process or only after students have been hired? Do all firms talk to each other or just the sisters?

They talk during the process too -- definitely not just sisters.

• Thanks 1

What times are breakfasts usually scheduled for? 7am to 8am (ie before the day starts)  or are they after 8am usually? Trying to schedule one. Are these usually held at like a hotel restaurant? 

Edited by Newfoundland