wtamow

General 2L Recruit Question Thread

Does it mean anything if a firm in their ITC email said they do dinner on Monday but then on the call offered lunch on Tuesday instead? I asked about dinner on Monday and they said students go to one or the other, but they offered me lunch before dinner. 

21 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

do you think 8:06 is considered pretty late and low on the list since a lot of people get calls at 8am? That means 2-3 people got it before me. I imagine the calls sequences are 8, 8:02, 8:04, 8:06 etc?  If there are 20 callers then you are ranked like 60 .  I am glad that there's a chance to move up!  I may stratergize accordingly since now I know which firm ranks me higher and go after them more!

Actaully that makes sense, my suprise was really like at like 8:13 so I guess I was on the waitlist and had like no slots. 

My point was that you shouldn't read into the timing of calls too much. It could be that you're lower on their list, or it could be that the articling student making the calls is hungover and called the wrong number by accident and then had to re-dial you.

Bottom line: Relax. Don't think about what time you were called. Just do your best during in-firms.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, georgecostanzajr said:

What time are dinners usually scheduled for? 7pm or a bit later?

7:00 is pretty standard from what I've heard

• Like 1

How many slots are open at 10 AM for a firm that is large full service and hires 15-20 people? Asking for a friend.

5 minutes ago, georgecostanzajr said:

How long are lunches typically? Should I leave 2 hours for it or can I get by with less?

That's probably a good amount of time to block off.

55 minutes ago, Rearden said:

For those of you who ended up booking a first interview with one of your top choice firms on Tuesday morning, don't worry about it; I ended up getting an offer from a firm I booked a Tuesday morning first interview with. But if you are in that situation, it isn't a terrible idea to mention (to whichever lawyer "handles" you while you are at the firm) that you had hoped to book them on Monday, but due to the way call day worked out for you, you unfortunately couldn't.

Agreed. To add to this (or repeat), I had a 10am Tuesday interview with one firm where that issue (them being literally my last interview slot) was the elephant in the room and so we discussed it. I stated clearly why the scheduling worked out that way, to which they immediately understood and expressed interest in speaking more explicitly about my level of interest in them and how to move this forward. I think addressing the scheduling, and then being clear with your interest level will more than compensate. 

3 hours ago, georgecostanzajr said:

How long are lunches typically? Should I leave 2 hours for it or can I get by with less?

That's fine, an hour and a half is typical. You can always leave if you need to after as people understand that the middle of the day is busy.

As a general note to everyone, I wouldn't read too much into call timing, particularly as it isn't universal. Some firms might have one caller per student so that everyone can get a call at 8 am, but if the caller is shitty in the mornings, they may be a few minutes or a minute late. Other firms might have a group of callers, but if they have one call before yours, that can easily eat up a few minutes, and they may fire off a quick note to the recruiters to let them know the details, before moving on to the next call.

Suffice to say, there's about 1000 reasons why calls might not come in exactly at 8 am, and it becomes entirely irrelevant once you show up for interviews anyway.

• Like 4

In the spirit of asking increasingly more neurotic and redundant questions about the 2L recruit... here's one that's been on my mind: let's say a firm hires 15 summer students. How many candidates do you think they're interviewing overall?

I've read elsewhere on the forums that for each time slot, you could expect a firm to be interviewing 4 distinct candidates. So, assuming there are 5 slots per day (8, 10, 12, 2, 4) at 4 candidates each, that's 40 students. Does that sound about right?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, talos said:

In the spirit of asking increasingly more neurotic and redundant questions about the 2L recruit... here's one that's been on my mind: let's say a firm hires 15 summer students. How many candidates do you think they're interviewing overall?

I've read elsewhere on the forums that for each time slot, you could expect a firm to be interviewing 4 distinct candidates. So, assuming there are 5 slots per day (8, 10, 12, 2, 4) at 4 candidates each, that's 40 students. Does that sound about right?

4 x slot feels low at the big firms. I have no idea; many posters here have actually been part of the process internally. I'm just going by the number of candidates I saw at reception/getting snacks before making the rounds at some places I visited.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, easttowest said:

4 x slot feels low at the big firms. I have no idea; many posters here have actually been part of the process internally. I'm just going by the number of candidates I saw at reception/getting snacks before making the rounds at some places I visited.

I would assume that the number of people per slot also varies. You might have 10 people interviewing at Monday 10 AM and 2 people Tuesday 10 AM.

In 1L I had an interview scheduled at a “premium” time slot and they had us mingle in the reception, must have been around 10-15 students during that time. Then I finished my interview late and chatted with my articling student a little. I saw the next round of students filter through and it must have been like four or five tops.

I don’t think it matters when you think hard about it. I’ve had interviews where I struck out and they were interviewing 10 people, and interviews where I’ve made it to Day 2 with 80+ other candidates. 

Edited by wtamow
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

How do you keep track of time during an in-firm to be sure you're not late for the next one?

I heard you tell your host beforehand you have to leave by 10:50 . If your firm does not have a host, I am not sure, maybe tell the front desk when you sign in

Edited by Newfoundland
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

How do you keep track of time during an in-firm to be sure you're not late for the next one?

Wear a watch 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, harveyspecter993 said:

I'm pretty sure glancing at your watch during an interview is an automatic disqualification.

That's gotta be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. What kind of answer are you hoping for? You asked "how do I tell the time", someone says "look at a clock", and you say that would blacklist you from the firm. Come on man.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I'm pretty sure glancing at your watch during an interview is an automatic disqualification.

Chances are you won’t have an interview with the same people for 1.5 hours so just glance at your watch in between moving rooms or switching interviewers to make sure you’re on track for time. At the last interview maybe give a gentle reminder once you feel like you’re close to the end. They probably have someone after you.