GrumpyMountie

Mature Category - 2 Questions

Hello all (but particularly those who have knowledge of the timing of recent admissions cycles),

I believe I may have a shot at admission to Western based on my GPA (last 2) and LSAT. However, it looks like I am doomed to the 'Mature' category simply because it's been 15 years since my degree and there is no way any professor would remember me, so I cannot provide an academic reference.

Given that I'm stuck with the mature category, I have two questions:

1) Would students in the mature stream be admitted much later in the process, even if they have good enough GPA+LSAT to have been admitted in the general category? I don't want to seem impatient, it's just that timing of potential offers may affect my spouse's options for coordinating her own move to London, if selected.

2) Are there any other disadvantages of being classified as mature? For example, is there a very small quota of spots in the category, meaning that even with high GPA+LSAT, one could end up excluded because there are 5 other old people with better marks?

Thanks for any insight.

GrumpyMountie

Your stats? LSAT GPA and L2, B2, B3? 

Check with the school(s) mature student may not require to have academic reference

I think files will be reviewed as "general" category first. Those that don't meet the requirements but applied under special categories will be reviewed again based on those categories.

if your stats are good enough for acceptance under "general" category, then you will receive an offer. 

Apply under mature category will not "hurt" your chance under "general category".

On 9/26/2019 at 12:05 AM, GrumpyMountie said:

Hello all (but particularly those who have knowledge of the timing of recent admissions cycles),

I believe I may have a shot at admission to Western based on my GPA (last 2) and LSAT. However, it looks like I am doomed to the 'Mature' category simply because it's been 15 years since my degree and there is no way any professor would remember me, so I cannot provide an academic reference.

Given that I'm stuck with the mature category, I have two questions:

1) Would students in the mature stream be admitted much later in the process, even if they have good enough GPA+LSAT to have been admitted in the general category? I don't want to seem impatient, it's just that timing of potential offers may affect my spouse's options for coordinating her own move to London, if selected.

2) Are there any other disadvantages of being classified as mature? For example, is there a very small quota of spots in the category, meaning that even with high GPA+LSAT, one could end up excluded because there are 5 other old people with better marks?

Thanks for any insight.

GrumpyMountie

In the 2016-17 cycle I was admitted as a mature candidate at UWO in early December. I ended up going somewhere else, but no, I was not admitted late nor feel as though I was disadvantaged.