Sign in to follow this  
NotYetALawyer

Osgoode Deferral question

Followed this forum for years, this is my first time posting in any capacity.

I was admitted to Osgoode in the previous admission cycle, and deferred my acceptance to September 2020. I really look forward to attending Osgoode.

My partner is now experiencing a family issue, and depending on the resolution and timing of it, it may be appropriate for us to move out west to be with her family.

In order to do that, and attend the law school in her city, I would need to re-write the LSAT (I was PT’ing about 5 points higher than what I scored, and only need 1 or 2 more points for admission into this school – shouldn’t be a problem)

My intention and Plan A is still to attend Osgoode. However, I believe I need to do some risk mitigation here. If I were to re-write the LSAT in November, and apply to a Western Canadian law school as a backup in case I needed to be out West to be with her and her family, is there anyway Osgoode could find out and somehow void my deferral?

The deferral policy, which I was provided when I requested it, states:

“Osgoode will be notified of any applications made to other Ontario law schools during the year a student is on deferral.”

Firstly, it says nothing about the LSAT. Secondly, the school is outside Ontario. Thirdly, it doesn’t seem to say anywhere you cannot apply to other schools, it just states they will be notified if inside Ontario.

Hoping someone can offer some wisdom on this. I am not trying to game the system here, just trying to mitigate risk in case of the worst case scenario. Thanks in advance.

Just in terms of ethics, Osgoode threw you a bone here in allowing you admission to the Class of 2023 year, taking someone else's place. It would be good practice just to phone up both schools and let them know your situation. Tell Osgoode that you would like them to hold your spot, that you appreciate everything they've done for you, and tell them when you will let them know about your decision (ie. when you are accepted/rejected from the other school).

To answer your question, yes, Osgoode could find out about this and void your deferral. You would come off as "sneaky" if you don't even communicate to Osgoode. So it is best just to call them and ask them not to avoid your deferral. 

1 hour ago, student0033 said:

Just in terms of ethics, Osgoode threw you a bone here in allowing you admission to the Class of 2023 year, taking someone else's place. It would be good practice just to phone up both schools and let them know your situation. Tell Osgoode that you would like them to hold your spot, that you appreciate everything they've done for you, and tell them when you will let them know about your decision (ie. when you are accepted/rejected from the other school).

To answer your question, yes, Osgoode could find out about this and void your deferral. You would come off as "sneaky" if you don't even communicate to Osgoode. So it is best just to call them and ask them not to avoid your deferral. 

Osgoode didn't throw OP a bone.

Can you tell me how Osgoode can find out if OP apply to Western schools?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited by Luckycharm
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2019 at 6:13 PM, student0033 said:

As an individual that also deferred my admission to the class of 2023 for Osgoode, this is dangerous and misleading information. When accepting the deferral, Osgoode specifically requires you to accept their terms and conditions, one of which entails not applying to any other schools. They also can see immediately if you apply to other schools through the application portals, and you can (most likely will) be subsequently blacklisted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2019 at 11:28 AM, Lawsstudent2019 said:

As an individual that also deferred my admission to the class of 2023 for Osgoode, this is dangerous and misleading information. When accepting the deferral, Osgoode specifically requires you to accept their terms and conditions, one of which entails not applying to any other schools. They also can see immediately if you apply to other schools through the application portals, and you can (most likely will) be subsequently blacklisted. 

I actually applied for deferral to the class of 2023 as well. They had told me that one student was approved, I am assuming you, and there were a few others that had inquired. I have already submitted my request but I was just wondering roughly the reasoning for your deferral and what you had to provide. I am basing my request on a mental health and financial basis.