lsapp

How would law schools view working in family business while doing undergrad

How would admissions committees view working in a family business versus another job?

It depends on the nature of your role, the business, etc.  No one can answer this question with so few facts.

8 hours ago, lsapp said:

How would admissions committees view working in a family business versus another job?

I worked at my mom's office

Do you have to disclose that?  

Edited by Luckycharm
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

I worked at my mom's office

Do you have to disclose that?  

Again, this really isn't enough information to be meaningful.  "At an office" tells nothing.  No, they wouldn't care about work at a family business generally.  However, without more information, I can't tell you whether the work you did at the office would actually be something that would impress them.

8 hours ago, ProfReader said:

Again, this really isn't enough information to be meaningful.  "At an office" tells nothing.  No, they wouldn't care about work at a family business generally.  However, without more information, I can't tell you whether the work you did at the office would actually be something that would impress them.

My mom is the sole owner of a professional Corp. We don't have the same last name

1 minute ago, Luckycharm said:

My mom is the sole owner of a professional Corp. We don't have the same last name

I don't think it really matters.  Just say that you worked at x business doing x in the office.  You still haven't provided enough information about your role for me to assess whether a law school would look upon it favourably (i.e. you had an important role, you were developing some sort of useful skill, etc.). 

However, based on your last few comments,  I think that you are more concerned about their unfavourable impressions (due to it being a family business).  I don't think they would care.  But I also don't think that you have to disclose it.  Many of the work experiences of law school applicants are nepotistic (family, family friends, etc.).  It isn't a big deal.

19 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

I don't think it really matters.  Just say that you worked at x business doing x in the office.  You still haven't provided enough information about your role for me to assess whether a law school would look upon it favourably (i.e. you had an important role, you were developing some sort of useful skill, etc.). 

However, based on your last few comments,  I think that you are more concerned about their unfavourable impressions (due to it being a family business).  I don't think they would care.  But I also don't think that you have to disclose it.  Many of the work experiences of law school applicants are nepotistic (family, family friends, etc.).  It isn't a big deal.

I was trying to show OP that it is not a real issue.

4 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

I was trying to show OP that it is not a real issue.

That was not at all clear.  When you said "do I have to disclose that?" it seemed that you were asking for an opinion based on your similar situation.  At no point was it clear that you were saying that you got in despite working at a family business.  I think that is maybe what you were saying?  It still isn't clear.    

Time for a tangentially related rant (although one of my biggest pet peeves on this site)...Although I agree that it isn't a real issue, I would also caution anyone on this site about relying on that sort of anecdotal advice (i.e. it wasn't a problem for me, so you're fine!).  As I've repeatedly said on this site, comments like "I didn't use two academic reference letters despite the school saying that's what they preferred" or "I used a TA as a reference letter, so you'll be fine doing that" aren't helpful.  Those may have been strikes against a student in the application process that they were admitted in spite of and not advice to follow.