Sign in to follow this  
flyingfish

UBC vs UofA vs UofC

Hello Forum,

I am currently working on law school applications for UBC, UofA, and UofC. Last night I was thinking about which school I would decide to go to if admitted to all 3. If money were no object, I would likely go to UBC. However, I want to minimize the amount of debt I take on in law school. Although tuition is comparable between the schools, the housing market and general cost of living are not. Furthermore, I need my own space and am not keen on the idea of my partner and I paying $2000/month only to have roomates. With that being said, Vancouver is a more desirable location than Edmonton or Calgary. Currently, I am a fourth year student with an average of 85% at UBC-Okanagan who is scoring between 163-168 on practice LSATs (hoping to score a 170+ in October). I think I have a good chance of scholarships at UofA and UofC, but I also think UBC is a marginally better school. I am not too picky where I want to practice as I would move anywhere in Western Canada for the right opportunity. Hypothetically, what should I do?

Thank You,

Fish

Edited by flyingfish

Vancouver rent prices are high, but they're not that high. You should easily be able to find an older one-bedroom or a very nice studio with a $2000/month budget. 

I'm in Vancouver and live with my partner. We pay just over 2k a month rent for a relatively new one bedroom. It isn't huge but it is enough for what we need and splitting the rent between the two of us is doable. I am from Calgary and thoroughly believe that paying more for rent is worth the significantly milder weather and shorter winter. Your environment can make a huge difference in your enjoyment of life, even if you are busy with school! 😊

Rent is very depressed in Calgary these days; you and your partner could get a nice, new place near school for a reasonable rent - definitely no need for roommates. As for cost of living, remember too that Alberta has no HST. Income tax I think about the same (if your spouse is working)?

You will also be only 1 hour from the mountains. 

I actually prefer Edmonton, but since you're from BC, and Edmonton has more cold and no mountains, I think you should definitely take a close look at Calgary.

Then again, if you don't, you're one fewer person with good mark who will beat me in the application pool. ;)

-GM