Sign in to follow this  
victoryvaldez

I've done part-time studies for a while and I switched disciplines/programs after my second year. How does UofT law calculate my GPA?

Do they look at a CGPA in this case since I'm approaching my fifth+ year of study at UofT (undergrad)? I'm not sure if the whole three full years formula is applicable in my case.

They take best three full years, and they don't count summers. 

I don't know how many courses they consider full course load, but I had a year that I took 7 (5, then 2) half credit courses (a standard course load was 10, 5 per term) and u of t law counted that year as a full course load. 

ETA: you're best off calling them if you don't have three full course load years. They'll still consider you but will likely just calculate your GPA uniquely and ask you to explain in an optional essay why you took courses that way, etc. 

Edited by breakaleg
  • Like 1

A full course load is 5 courses per semester. What U of T wants to see is full-time status, whatever that is considered at your undergrad institution. Their B3 is calculated from the three best years an applicant was considered to have full-time status, not counting summer courses. If you fall outside this description, you should call them and inquire how they assess someone who was only part-time.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 4:57 PM, erinl2 said:

A full course load is 5 courses per semester. What U of T wants to see is full-time status, whatever that is considered at your undergrad institution. Their B3 is calculated from the three best years an applicant was considered to have full-time status, not counting summer courses. If you fall outside this description, you should call them and inquire how they assess someone who was only part-time.

so are you saying uoft wants to see 5 courses per semester?

2 hours ago, lawyeredqueen said:

so are you saying uoft wants to see 5 courses per semester?

Not OP but not necessarily. 5 courses per semester is a full course load but full time status probably includes semesters with less than 5 courses. It depends on your university's policy about what counts as full-time vs part-time studies. At my university, you only need to take a minimum of three courses per semester in order to count as a full-time student.