lawgirl17

OCI ITC Question

If a firm does not email you an ITC or PFO, but have emailed others in your cohort ITCs, does that mean you likely do not have an interview with that firm? 

55 minutes ago, JaysFan364 said:

Unfortunately, that's the most likely outcome.

well that’s disheartening, a follow up question: how does one move on from not getting an interview with their top choice? 

26 minutes ago, lawgirl17 said:

well that’s disheartening, a follow up question: how does one move on from not getting an interview with their top choice? 

Focus on the second choice?

28 minutes ago, lawgirl17 said:

By coming to the unfortunate realization that although your top choice was your current favourite, you ultimately may not know that much about the firm without internal connections. This "top choice" was thus based off nothing more than the website. As this is the case for most students, another true top choice is waiting to be found. For instance, my top choice after OCIs was my last choice going into OCIs.

Keep your head up.

Edited by FingersCr0ssed
  • Like 3

Realize that the knowledge you used to rank firms in your head comes from a teeny tiny pool. As you go through the process you will gather vastly more knowledge which will almost certainly alter your preferences from your initial ranking. Even at the end of in-firms you will know so much more than you do now and still know practically nothing at all. Keep your mind as open as possible during the process and try not to pre-judge people or situations. 

Before going into OCIs I wanted to work at my top choice firm SO badly and by the time I left my first in-firm I was e-mailing to say "Thanks but no thanks." The firm I ended up at I actually rolled my eyes when I saw who they sent to interview us at OCIs. Both of them were, of course, lovely. 

All of this to say, that your first choice only means something right now because your pool of knowledge is so tiny. In six months, a year, five years, fifteen years you aren't going to look back and think "I wonder how much better things would be if I had gotten that OCI with x firm."

Good luck, OP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

By coming to the unfortunate realization that although your top choice was your current favourite, you ultimately may not know that much about the firm without internal connections. This "top choice" was thus based off nothing more than the website. As this is the case for most students, another true top choice is waiting to be found. For instance, my top choice after OCIs was my last choice going into OCIs.

Keep your head up.

This. You'll realize in a couple of years having a "top choice" is basically meaningless at this stage. You know very little about the culture, the firms, the people, the lifestyles, etc. compared to what you will know at the end of the interview stage, and that's not very much compared to what you will learn from actually working at a firm. 

Your "top choice" looked at your materials, and decided that you would not be someone who they could see working long-term at the firm. They don't know you, so they may be wrong. But they also know their firm, and have seen thousands of applications, so they may also be right. 

Many people eventually realize that not getting their "top choice" was probably the best thing that ever happened to them (and I mean in a genuine, not salty grudge-holding, way). So don't just focus on your second choice either. Learn as much as you can about all of your options. By the end of the process, you may realize that your favourite one was the one you applied to without any particular intention of actually working there.

• Like 2

thank you everyone! I appreciate the reassurance. I think the difficult part was thinking I was a shoo in (stupid, I know) because of things like grades and a ton of networking. Excited and nervous to see where this process gets me though! 

Thank you for taking the time to reply! 

• Like 2