Sign in to follow this  
roblox82

Alternates for OCIs?

Hey all,

I got placed on the "alternate" list for one of my top-choice firms. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to bump up my position on the waitlist? Would emailing the firm and (re)expressing my interest help? I'm at UofT, if that's any help.

Thanks for any advice!

Fellow UofT student here - I don't think there's anything you can do to bump up your position, nor would I think an email of interest would help. Let it play out, I know a few people who accepted NY offers very recently and will be withdrawing from the Toronto recruit, so you can expect to see some movement.

I was on an alternate list for one of my interviews. It moved by only one spot (I was #2, then #1, so no interview :(). I don't know how applicable my experience is generally, but my sense is that while there will be movement, there won't be a ton. I don't think there's anything you can do to get a leg-up.

Dumb Question - any chance that waitlist move towards the end of acceptance period (Monday is the last day for U of T)? Currently 1 on a few waitlists and the wait is agonizing.

1 hour ago, 6ixWeMotto said:

Dumb Question - any chance that waitlist move towards the end of acceptance period (Monday is the last day for U of T)? Currently 1 on a few waitlists and the wait is agonizing.

I'm waiting on an alternate as well, luckily the firm is not a top choice for me atm so the level of agony has been manageable, but I def empathize with how you are feeling right now on multiple alternates.

CDO said they were going to send follow-up emails on Friday Sept 13 to students who had not yet declined/accepted interviews with firms that have alternates waiting, and if that's true, then I would imagine those students would most likely have come to a decision by this weekend, or before noon on Monday at the latest.

On 9/15/2019 at 12:25 PM, cherrytree said:

I'm waiting on an alternate as well, luckily the firm is not a top choice for me atm so the level of agony has been manageable, but I def empathize with how you are feeling right now on multiple alternates.

CDO said they were going to send follow-up emails on Friday Sept 13 to students who had not yet declined/accepted interviews with firms that have alternates waiting, and if that's true, then I would imagine those students would most likely have come to a decision by this weekend, or before noon on Monday at the latest.

Are you at a disadvantage even if you get off the WL at UofT like when firms OCI you and see you were intially 'rejected' from them?

4 hours ago, Newfoundland said:

Are you at a disadvantage even if you get off the WL at UofT like when firms OCI you and see you were intially 'rejected' from them?

1 minute ago, cherrytree said:

Are people put on the alternative because they didn't make the grade cutoffs but had they made it they would have been admitted on the first go around? Or are people put on the waitlist because they meet the hard factors like school/GPA but are weak on soft factors? If a firm interviews 60 and you are Waitlist #2 , does that mean you rank 62nd for the firm? It just seems like a tough spot to be in knowing that both of you know that you are ranked last but I will try and not worry about it

33 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

Are people put on the alternative because they didn't make the grade cutoffs but had they made it they would have been admitted on the first go around? Or are people put on the waitlist because they meet the hard factors like school/GPA but are weak on soft factors? If a firm interviews 60 and you are Waitlist #2 , does that mean you rank 62nd for the firm? It just seems like a tough spot to be in knowing that both of you know that you are ranked last but I will try and not worry about it

Man, honestly, why does it matter? Give it your best shot. Either they'll like you or they won't. I'm sure there's no hard and fast rule that will apply to every firm, and the people on the other end are humans like you and I. Just go in and nail every interview! The rest will sort itself out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chaboywb said:

Man, honestly, why does it matter? Give it your best shot. Either they'll like you or they won't. I'm sure there's no hard and fast rule that will apply to every firm, and the people on the other end are humans like you and I. Just go in and nail every interview! The rest will sort itself out.

Thanks! I have heard some stuff about alternates that I am not sure if to believe where my peers have made inferences from the fact that you were ranked like 61st at the firm at your school that hires 25 in total. But I plan on giving it my best shot regardless what my peer thinks and have said

Edited by Newfoundland

1 hour ago, Newfoundland said:

Thanks! I have heard some stuff about alternates that I am not sure if to believe where my peers have made inferences from the fact that you were ranked like 61st at the firm at your school that hires 25 in total. But I plan on giving it my best shot regardless what my peer thinks and have said

Didn’t your friends say that you won’t get interviews if you don’t have HHs? Yet you received interviews. In my opinion, you should probably stop listening to your friends because they seem to be uninformed. 

2 hours ago, wtamow said:

Didn’t your friends say that you won’t get interviews if you don’t have HHs? Yet you received interviews. In my opinion, you should probably stop listening to your friends because they seem to be uninformed. 

You know what my friend said after he found out I got interviews? He said I got lucky and idk if it was to make me feel better or worse he then said he got his HH without doing the readings for the course and how I should not do the readings either. I knew from that he seems to be giving 'bad advice'.     I asked if we wanted to practice interviews and he dismissed it and claimed that's something you don't need to prep because its convo based and he wings it. I dont plan on following his advice to just wing it. 

Edited by Newfoundland
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

You know what my friend said after he found out I got interviews? He said I got lucky and idk if it was to make me feel better or worse he then said he got his HH without doing the readings for the course and how I should not do the readings either. I knew from that he seems to be giving 'bad advice'.     I asked if we wanted to practice interviews and he dismissed it and claimed that's something you don't need to prep because its convo based and he wings it. I dont plan on following his advice to just wing it. 

Good, you're learning. You should probably stop talking to that person all together.

4 hours ago, Newfoundland said:

U of T shows you what firms rank you?

1 hour ago, harveyspecter993 said:

U of T shows you what firms rank you?

It shows you what number you are on the waitlist. That’s it.