Sign in to follow this  
CTS

Timeline - When to begin LSAT studying?

Hello all,

I am hoping to get a better sense of what is considered an appropriate timeline with respect to LSAT studying. Having reviewed a variety of online resources, opinions on this matter seem to vary, while an intensive study plan of 3-6 months in advance appears to be most common. 

Personally, I am entering my fourth and final year of undergrad, and intend to write the LSAT by September 2020. My thoughts at present are to begin self studying 3-5 hours per week throughout the school year, and supplement these efforts with an in-person prep course over Summer 2020.

Recognizing that everyone learns differently and at varying paces, what in your experience is the most effective approach? Thank you in advance for your feedback!

• Like 2

I think your current approach is excellent; cramming does not work for LSAT prep. I would start studying now and plan to write either June or July 2020 with September being a backup date. I would recommend checking out the PowerScore Bibles, Fox Lsat, and the LSAT Demon as potential resources to begin prepping with.

On 8/31/2019 at 2:20 PM, CTS said:

Hello all,

I am hoping to get a better sense of what is considered an appropriate timeline with respect to LSAT studying. Having reviewed a variety of online resources, opinions on this matter seem to vary, while an intensive study plan of 3-6 months in advance appears to be most common. 

Personally, I am entering my fourth and final year of undergrad, and intend to write the LSAT by September 2020. My thoughts at present are to begin self studying 3-5 hours per week throughout the school year, and supplement these efforts with an in-person prep course over Summer 2020.

Recognizing that everyone learns differently and at varying paces, what in your experience is the most effective approach? Thank you in advance for your feedback!

How do you know you need to study that much?

Start studying now.  Do a sample text to get some idea of how you might do.  You already have two months - you might be good to go in time for the October or November test date.

Thank you to all who replied! I appreciate the feedback. 

On 9/3/2019 at 5:23 PM, Malicious Prosecutor said:

How do you know you need to study that much?

Start studying now.  Do a sample text to get some idea of how you might do.  You already have two months - you might be good to go in time for the October or November test date.

With respect to how much I'll need to study, I don't yet have a good sense. I have taken a practice test in the past, but don't feel the conditions under which I took the test were a reliable indicator of my ability.

Perhaps I will begin by taking a cold test, and build a schedule around that result? Keeping in mind of course, that there is only so much material / practice tests available for use.  

Over four months is probably overkill, and as others have mentioned, you will likely exhaust prep material. If you want to keep it to a few hours (2-4) of studying per day, with some off-days to be flexible/keep it comfortable, roughly four months is a good amount of time. Few people need more than that, and honestly, I doubt that many people would see improvement after that amount of time. Yes, the LSAT is learnable, but people have different cognitive limits. It's not as if with some magic number of months of study, anyone could hit a 180. You're going to see major improvement over your first two months following a normal study plan. After that, it's about working out the finer details and strategizing.