wtamow

2L Summer (2020) Toronto Recruit PFOs/ITCs

59 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

McCartrhy reached out yesterday. Norton today.

Does that mean McCarthys is done with ITC/offers since Osgoode was the last OCI school?  Do they send PFOs? They sent out UofT ITC yesterday too according to this forum.   

Norton --> did anyone get a PFO from them? I never heard back from them for UofT OCI but they sent ITCs to UofT. 

Edited by Newfoundland

1 hour ago, pattie12 said:

I just want to know if any Canadian student had received an itc. Thnx 

UofT got theirs (DLA) over Thanksgiving 

1 minute ago, Newfoundland said:

Does that mean McCarthys is done with ITC/offers since Osgoode was the last OCI school?  Do they send PFOs? They sent out UofT ITC yesterday too according to this forum.   

Norton --> did anyone get a PFO from them? I never heard back from them for UofT OCI but they sent ITCs to UofT. 

I answered your question re McCarthys yesterday. I'm also sure that U of T has a similar spreadsheet to the one we have at Oz that would answer all of your other questions. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I answered your question re McCarthys yesterday. I'm also sure that U of T has a similar spreadsheet to the one we have at Oz that would answer all of your other questions. 

Sorry, I just added the PFO question on the side in case anyone new knew the answer to it or got one today etc. At  UofT we have a document too (found it today) with some of these but it has not been fully accurate and it think it is because it was last updated before apps were due.  I posted earlier today because I was surprised Osgoode got McCarthys yesterday when UofT got it yesterday too so I am not sure if they are evaluating UofT and Osgoode apps "in the same pile" now since we were the last two for OCIs and call day is soon. 

Edited by Newfoundland

2 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Has anyone heard from Filion Wakely?

ITC Filion (Windsor) 

20 minutes ago, JonSnow95 said:

do you know if they send PFO's? 

I am pretty sure they don't send PFOs

Does anyone know if ITCs go out sporadically or like a mass email to all the people invited for an in firm?

5 minutes ago, Lawschoolia2018 said:

I am pretty sure they don't send PFOs

Does anyone know if ITCs go out sporadically or like a mass email to all the people invited for an in firm?

Depends on firm but usually mass mail

Has anyone heard from: Koskie Minsky, Ogletree, Torkin Manes, Littler, or Dickinson Wright? 

Just now, 41666 said:

Has anyone heard from: Koskie Minsky, Ogletree, Torkin Manes, Littler, or Dickinson Wright? 

Torkin went out yesterday, Dickinson went out previously. Koskie has not sent anything yet and may not - their past record indicates they don't always send ITCs.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Hi folks, this is obviously a throwaway account for a few reasons, which I have cleared with Hegdis prior to posting.  I'm looking for some advice in terms of the next steps I should take in my career, and am hoping those of you with experience can chime in. This is a bit of a long story, so hold on to your hats here. Since I was a kid, I had always wanted to go to law school, and frankly, always wanted to do criminal law. As I approached law school, and even entered 1L, I heard the refrain time and time again to keep an open mind and that often what you enter wanting to practice isn't what you may enjoy. In 1L I actually really did enjoy my Criminal Law course, and I participated in a moot on a criminal issue and felt really good about it (I did well in it too). But somewhere I went wrong. In the process of "keeping an open mind" I frankly think I let others sway me away from what I was actually interested in. It may have been constantly hearing about the money you could make in corporate, or how hard criminal law is, or really even just worrying myself about what others would think of my decision to forego the corporate recruit, but I decided to move towards the path of being a corporate lawyer.   And frankly, some of the corporate stuff I learned I really enjoyed, and it definitely made me want to at least try it out in practice. Despite a B+ average, including a smattering of A's in various courses, I was unable to get a job in 1L or 2L I struck out in the recruit. I ended up securing an articling job in March of 3L, doing 90% corporate commercial work, with some other stuff mixed in. Pretty much zero litigation (I drafted some documents for an ADR matter and did some research related to a dispute, no court/tribunal time). I figured it would be a good experience. I had gotten some idea of what litigation would look like in law school (took some courses, mooted, etc.) and wanted some transacational experience. It was also March and I was frankly desperate to secure articles. You may be able to see where this is going.   I hate it.  Like, really hate it.  Really, it comes down to three things that I don't like. The job isn't personal. The job isn't complex. And the work I'm doing doesn't feel meaningful. I can definitely expand on those headings if I need to, but that's really what it comes down to.  I feel like I'd be a lot happier in a litigation role, where I could feel like I'm using my brain, put my public speaking skills to use, and actually have something to fight over with a result that means something significant to a client. Specifically, I'm thinking a move to Criminal/PI/Union/Employee side Labour and Employment litigation would check some of the boxes that seem to be missing from my current job (I'm really interested in criminal, if I'm being honest).  So here's the question, what would you do in my situation? How would you sell yourself? Are there firms out there that will let you "pay the bills" with your corp/comm experience while you gain litigation experience? If I gain civil lit experience can I make a move to criminal? Should I hang my own defence shingle when I get called, look for some mentors, and grind? Is there a path for me, or should I just work as a solicitor for 4 years, pay off my loans, and leave the profession? Am I overthinking this completely? I'm aware I'm fighting an uphill battle, and if I could go back and do it again I would. But I'm looking for a way forward now, and am hoping someone here can provide some guidance to a person who has definitely gone down a path and realized (thankfully at the beginning of their career) that it isn't what they want.  Happy to provide additional info, if it'll make a difference.  Thanks.   
    • Okay, so I would still be eligible for wait list considerations to Queen's after my acceptance goes firm on July 1? If the only penalty for accepting Windsor is a deposit then I will absolutely pay that to keep my options open. Thanks.  Does anyone happen to know how much that deposit would be though?...
    • " Pretty shocking that employers would think negatively of a 2L student with a B+ avg who has 1 semester pass/failed" No one can tell. i have a few P/F because of  the 2015 strike. Didn't notice any impact during interviews.
    • yes they must. a friend of mine got into ryerson today and her offer expires tomorrow. 
    • That's very unfortunate considering those with mandatory pass/fail can now just relax and basically pass the course with a D while the rest of us at optional pass/fail schools are pressured to take grades. Pretty shocking that employers would think negatively of a 2L student with a B+ avg who has 1 semester pass/failed.