Sign in to follow this  
wtamow

2L Summer (2020) Toronto Recruit PFOs/ITCs

4 minutes ago, wtamow said:

I thought Hicks’ email said that they weren’t deciding until after Osgoode OCIs (the 17th) or is that the email they sent to people who they do not want?

Yes sorry that’s the email I was referring to. Have any acceptances or rejections been sent from the other l+e boutiques?

3 minutes ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

Sounds like if they told you they’re not deciding until after Osgoode they’re probably not deciding if they want you until after Osgoode.

OK. Thought so

14 minutes ago, wtamow said:

I thought Hicks’ email said that they weren’t deciding until after Osgoode OCIs (the 17th) or is that the email they sent to people who they do not want?

When I heard from Hicks (ITC), they said they hadn't completed their full list yet, but they were able to inform some of us who they had made decisions about. This was Western, not sure if they'll do the same for other schools. 

Has anyone heard back from Gowling or Norton Rose (UofT)? 

Just to update the list on here, Torys and Blakes PFO and ITCs were also sent recently. Same with Fasken

Didn't hear from the labour boutiques 

Edited by Newfoundland

3 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

Just to update the list on here, Torys and Blakes PFO and ITCs were also sent recently. Same with Fasken

I think Norton itc went out earlier this afternoon. 

33 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

Sounds like you did just fine on your OCIs, tie not-withstanding! Congrats. Now get some sleep and catch up on school.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if  BLG, Davies, McCarthys, or  Stikeman  does PFO/ITCs for UofT OCI?  Do all firms generally do this or is it like pre-OCIs where only some firms send PFO/ITC?  The CDO list only has a list  for firms doing Pre-OCIs PFO/ITCs  and not a list for post-OCI's PFO/ITCs. 

Just found out DLA's  ITCs have been sent for UofT.   

Edited by Newfoundland

Most firms send ITCs so that students know they're interested and can plan their call day appropriately. Not all firms send PFOs.

21 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

Does anyone know if  BLG, Davies, McCarthys, or  Stikeman  does PFO/ITCs for UofT OCI?  Do all firms generally do this or is it like pre-OCIs where only some firms send PFO/ITC?  The CDO list only has a list  for firms doing Pre-OCIs PFO/ITCs  and not a list for post-OCI's PFO/ITCs. 

Just found out DLA's  ITCs have been sent for UofT.   

Actually the CDO has a spreadsheet up that also lists ITCs for in-firms. The file is "Toronto 2L November Interview Week Recruit Data 2019 (updated aug 1).xlsx" and the column is "Will send "notice of intent to call" e- mails in advance of Call Day in October?"

Edited by macmill
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wtamow said:

I think Norton itc went out earlier this afternoon. 

Can anyone confirm if NRF sent out ITCs? 

Thanks

4 minutes ago, 6ixWeMotto said:

Can anyone confirm if NRF sent out ITCs? 

Thanks

For UofT can confirm.  ( I did not get one though)

Edited by Newfoundland

6 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Has KPMG sent ITCs to any schools?

KPMG Law sent out ITC to UofT this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macmill said:

Actually the CDO has a spreadsheet up that also lists ITCs for in-firms. The file is "Toronto 2L November Interview Week Recruit Data 2019 (updated aug 1).xlsx" and the column is "Will send "notice of intent to call" e- mails in advance of Call Day in October?"

What folder is it in? I can't find the file under Resources --> 2L--> Toronto 

1 minute ago, Newfoundland said:

What folder is it in? I can't find the file under Resources --> 2L--> Toronto 

It’s the first file (2L Toronto Employer Practices) in that folder, the column you are looking for is the third one shaded light grey. 

Edited by wtamow

2 hours ago, 243673872639853 said:

Has anyone head from Cassels Brock or McCarthys (UofT)?

I have not. 

Edited by Newfoundland

The most interesting question I have is how many people are actually given firm offers? 

How many candidates are usually chosen for in firms? and do they start cutting right after? 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, AccountingForLaw said:

The most interesting question I have is how many people are actually given firm offers? 

How many candidates are usually chosen for in firms? and do they start cutting right after? 

It depends on the firm and on you, as well as the synergy and “fit” between the both of you.

How many people are given offers is published on UltraVires and PrecedentJD - just the raw numbers. There are resources that state how many students a firm intends to hire in 2020, available on NALP and through your CDO. NALP also states which schools are given OCIs or straight to in-firm.

It really depends on which firms you have interviews with, some firms will keep people until day 3 and just cut them right after, some people cut you the same day. It really depends. Some firms interview 5 people per spot, some people 10. You could be 1 of 3 candidates and strike out at Firm A, or 1 of 10 candidates and get an offer at Firm B.

Talk to students who interviewed at these firms, both those who received offers and those who did not. If you get a large enough sample size, they will be the best reference as to process. I did some 1L interviews and I can tell you for one firm it felt like there were 10 other people being interviewed at every time slot, so I assumed there was that many per offer. I can also tell you this specific firm wasted my time until late Day 2, and seems to cut a lot of my colleagues on a day 2 as well. It’s helpful to know this in advance so you don’t read mixed signals about your shot at a firm. 

I also don’t think it matters that much. I heard one small firm OCIed 20 U of T students, in-firmed 10 and is only planning on hiring one person. Whereas there are large firms out there who probably interview 4-5 people per spot. A smaller firm or a boutique might interview less people, or more. It really depends. 

I would say doing research about this is important in advance because it helps you know which in-firms to take and how to approach call day, as well as how to approach signals from the firms and not be surprised. But it really won’t affect your “chances” - there’s no real probability here and being 1 of 10 interview candidates doesn’t give you a 10% shot.