vanhopeful95

Notetaking

36 minutes ago, Likethis said:

https://www.livescribe.com/site/

I used one of these during my undergrad. I really liked being able to listen to the chunk of lecture recorded when I was writing my notes if I didn’t recall the detail I wanted. 
Anyone else use livescribe?

Recording lectures wasn't permitted at Dal law while I was there. Unless doing so was a form of accommodation. Check to see if there's a faculty policy first.

I hand-wrote all my notes and exams during undergrad and 1L, but switched to typing lecture and reading notes after my 1L year, during which I got very average grades. My grades improved substantially in 2L, but it is unclear to me whether that was due to a change in note-taking or simply sue to the fact that I was able to choose classes that I enjoyed and take fewer classes while doing clinic work for credit. However, the switch made it a lot easier for me to make outlines and materials for open-book exams. I saved a load of time, and got more out of classes by typing my notes. I find it hard to tell what the most important part of what a prof says is in real time. Where I can, I do that synthesis while typing. Where I cannot, I transcribe verbatim and then work it out later. Having the option is what makes typing the better choice for me.

On 12/17/2019 at 11:49 AM, QuincyWagstaff said:

I would hold off until you get those grades back. 

My opinion: if you are transcribing a lecture word-for-word, or noting so much that typing speed becomes an issue, you are doing something seriously wrong. 

But, to each their own. 

Well... I’ve gotten only 5/6 of my midterm marks back so maybe I’m not an “authority”, but on those I have received I’ve gotten exclusively A-‘s save for one B+. So I feel fairly confident that my note-taking patterns have proved relatively successful thus far. 

I found your unnecessary/unproductive reply to be rather derisive and condescending. I was simply sharing my findings for those who may benefit from it in the future - my grades are irrelevant for such a general anecdote. I never recommended writing lectures word-for-word, I simply suggested that having the ability to take notes quickly prevents one from missing out on key info during a fast paced lecture. I also find that even if I do type more than necessary during a class, typing my notes allows me to go back later and better comprehend and, therefore, further distill and synthesize them. All in all, I still hope my quick comment on my transition from handwriting to typing notes proves useful for a future 1L visiting this site for its intended purpose of *helping* incoming and current law students :)