Jump to content
lawschoolhopeful6

Chances? 3.37 cGPA / 3.59 L2 / 161 LSAT

Recommended Posts

I'd really really appreciate anyones input on my chances at Ontario schools!

3.37 cGPA OLSAS

3.59 L2

3.5 B3

161 LSAT (152, 151 on first two)

I'm planning on applying to Queens, Western, and Osgoode.

If anyone's got input as to my chances at other schools too such as U of O, U of C, McGill, and Dal, please share those too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Off the bat I would say work harder and try to get a 165+ as your CGPA and l2 are going to be detrimental for you. 

I could give you percentages on the likelihood of acceptance but honestly you need a 165+, maybe even 167+(unless you have some really great EC's). 

Edited by yeezy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lawschoolhopeful6 said:

I'd really really appreciate anyones input on my chances at Ontario schools!

3.37 cGPA OLSAS

3.59 L2

3.5 B3

161 LSAT (152, 151 on first two)

I'm planning on applying to Queens, Western, and Osgoode.

If anyone's got input as to my chances at other schools too such as U of O, U of C, McGill, and Dal, please share those too!

 

My own experience only- ( 6-7 years ago)

161 and cGPA 3.47. 3.74 L2

wait list for Queens, Western , Osgoode and Windsor.

U of O is a slight possibility but cGPA is a bit low.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

 

My own experience only- ( 6-7 years ago)

161 and cGPA 3.47. 3.74 L2

wait list for Queens, Western , Osgoode and Windsor.

U of O is a slight possibility but cGPA is a bit low.

 

If you don’t mind me asking, we’re you accepted off the wait list to any of those schools? I imagine Osgoode is a far stretch with my statistics but I’m hoping Queens or Western are a possibility 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, lawschoolhopeful6 said:

If you don’t mind me asking, we’re you accepted off the wait list to any of those schools? I imagine Osgoode is a far stretch with my statistics but I’m hoping Queens or Western are a possibility 

You need a better lsat for Queens and western imo. I applied to both last cycle with better cgpa and same lsat and didn't even get on waitlist. Got 166 this cycle and got into western in the first round. 

Edited by yeezy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, yeezy said:

You need a better lsat for Queens and western imo. I applied to both last cycle with better cgpa and same lsat and didn't even get on waitlist. Got 166 this cycle and got into western in the first round. 

I got a 164 and was rejected at Queens last year, but I'm not sure if it was my LSAT that was the culprit. I'm going back for a year of courses to raise my L2 (currently at a 3.75) and I've written a new PS which I've been told is a big improvement over the one I wrote last year. Do you think a 164 cuts it for Queens? I'm applying Access.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lawschoolhopeful6 said:

If you don’t mind me asking, we’re you accepted off the wait list to any of those schools? I imagine Osgoode is a far stretch with my statistics but I’m hoping Queens or Western are a possibility 

no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was accepted to Queen’s and Western relatively early in the process with a 3.39 CGPA (L2 was closer to 3.0) and 161, 165 LSAT scores. Granted, I took a leap year before applying to get some work experience.

 

I think you have a chance. All comes down to the application materials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SeniorLopez247 said:

I was accepted to Queen’s and Western relatively early in the process with a 3.39 CGPA (L2 was closer to 3.0) and 161, 165 LSAT scores. Granted, I took a leap year before applying to get some work experience.

 

I think you have a chance. All comes down to the application materials.

Your L2 was a 3.0 or was that a typo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, yeezy said:

You need a better lsat for Queens and western imo. I applied to both last cycle with better cgpa and same lsat and didn't even get on waitlist. Got 166 this cycle and got into western in the first round. 

I mean, I see a lot of people who were accepted off the waitlist to both Queens and Western with similar stats under the "Accepted" forum for each school, but I guess like SeniorLopez247 said, the PS, EC, and LOR are also big components of it. I keep hearing people say that L2 is more important to Queens and Western than cGPA, that's why i'm hoping I at least have a slim chance of getting in. Appreciate the response and advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SeniorLopez247 said:

I was accepted to Queen’s and Western relatively early in the process with a 3.39 CGPA (L2 was closer to 3.0) and 161, 165 LSAT scores. Granted, I took a leap year before applying to get some work experience.

 

I think you have a chance. All comes down to the application materials.

Yeah i'll be taking this upcoming year off to gain some work experience too, so hopefully that helps my case. But I'll definitely need to make sure my other application components are as good as they can get to even have a chance at Queens and Western.

I did my business degree in 4 years (5 classes a semester and one semester with 6) as opposed to the usual 5 years (which most people seem to be doing these days), but from what I've heard they don't really look at how full the applicants schedule is, do they?

Thanks for the response, appreciate it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

I got a 164 and was rejected at Queens last year, but I'm not sure if it was my LSAT that was the culprit. I'm going back for a year of courses to raise my L2 (currently at a 3.75) and I've written a new PS which I've been told is a big improvement over the one I wrote last year. Do you think a 164 cuts it for Queens? I'm applying Access.

Sorry just to clarify, you had a 164 LSAT/3.75 L2 and got rejected from Queens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lawschoolhopeful6 said:

Sorry just to clarify, you had a 164 LSAT/3.75 L2 and got rejected from Queens?

I was, yes. But I think it's important to note that I only have one year at a full course load, so Queens couldn't calculate a best two years for me. That's why I'm going back this fall to do a year of courses. If all goes according to plan, I will have a B2 by the end of it, which will be a 3.88. My PS was also considered poor, so I've rewritten a new PS which has been given some positive feedback so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

I was, yes. But I think it's important to note that I only have one year at a full course load, so Queens couldn't calculate a best two years for me. That's why I'm going back this fall to do a year of courses. If all goes according to plan, I will have a B2 by the end of it, which will be a 3.88. My PS was also considered poor, so I've rewritten a new PS which has been given some positive feedback so far.

Ohh ok I see. Well sounds like you should have a good chance after this next year of courses then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, lawschoolhopeful6 said:

Ohh ok I see. Well sounds like you should have a good chance after this next year of courses then!

I certainly hope so - I ain't getting any younger!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lawschoolhopeful6 said:

I mean, I see a lot of people who were accepted off the waitlist to both Queens and Western with similar stats under the "Accepted" forum for each school, but I guess like SeniorLopez247 said, the PS, EC, and LOR are also big components of it. I keep hearing people say that L2 is more important to Queens and Western than cGPA, that's why i'm hoping I at least have a slim chance of getting in. Appreciate the response and advice!

Yes but you don't see the people that didn't get in with similar stats. I made the mistake of reading way too much into stats in the accepted threads and I thought I was in with my 161. If you're okay with that slim chance and have other options then of course that's fine. For me I only wanted law school and so my mistake really hurt me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

I got a 164 and was rejected at Queens last year, but I'm not sure if it was my LSAT that was the culprit. I'm going back for a year of courses to raise my L2 (currently at a 3.75) and I've written a new PS which I've been told is a big improvement over the one I wrote last year. Do you think a 164 cuts it for Queens? I'm applying Access.

I don't want to be too affirmative with my comments because at the end of the day, it's still an educated? guess at best. Anyways, I definitely wouldn't put so much weight on your ps, it really is going to a small factor. If an 3.75 l2 and 164 didn't get you in then either look to your cgpa or improving your lsat.

I would also double check that your l2 is correct. You can possibly call Queens and ask what they calculated your l2 as. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

Your L2 was a 3.0 or was that a typo?

No typo - that’s about accurate. I don’t remember the exact number, but I had a downward trend in the tail end of undergrad. I did have some family emergencies, but not enough to account for the trend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Recent Posts

    • It’s understandable to want to map your career out and feel like you have a plan and are in control but as much as possible try not to feel like you need to do this right now. You’ll hear a lot of people who talk like they have it all figured out but they don’t and are just trying to calm themselves down by convincing others they have it figured out.  Just do your best in your classes and each day you’ll learn more about different practice areas and opportunities that may interest you. You’ll have 350 different career plans by the time you graduate and none of them will actually happen. I didn’t take a single class or participate in a single clinic in all of law school that’s relevant to what I do now. I don’t even practice Canadian law at all.  Just do your best in classes and forget the rest, at least until the end of 1L. Everybody who is convincing themselves (by trying to convince you) that they’ve put themselves on the path by joining some clinic or connecting with some professor or lawyer or whatever is wrong and you don’t need to worry about it. 
    • 1L is not a time when most people are at their best. They’re insecure and lost. That’s why it feels like high school. The friendships that I formed in law school that I still have are all from 2L and 3L, not that you can’t also form friendships in 1L.  Also, don’t feel like law school is the only place you can make friends. Get involved in something outside of law school and make friends there. It’s good to escape the law school bubble even when you do have law school friends.  It’s easy to feel like your legal career will be determined by how well you rank or fit in socially at law school but that’s true at all. It’s just a school. You’re a whole person outside of that.
    • Large firms may offer a wide range of general services. Individual lawyers in those situations will often be hyper-specialized, and know everything there is to know about one very specific section of that area. This level of expertise is a way to justify high bills - you have someone in the office who lives and breathes that particular clause.    If you want to be a 'well-rounded lawyer', you'd be more likely to be at the other end of the spectrum, where a sole practicioner in a small city might help people with a variety of legal problems, not knowing the details to the exactitude of the specialist, but being competent in several different areas, such as family/property/wills.    Family is certainly not an area that is limited - it's one of the ones you can be confident will exist in every community across the country. Now, whether there's enough work in that to sustain a practice is another question (see: general practice). I can't imagine, although have never bothered to research so could be completely up the wall on this, that there are many large firms doing OCI recruits with substantial family practices.    This seems a good time to mention, it doesn't seem clear what type of work you want to be doing. Governments and large firms hire through the On Campus Interview process, and a lot of careers officer time is spent on them, and they're certainly often a way to pay off debt quickly, but they're only one part of legal employment. Do you want to work in a glass tower in a major city? If so, that will necessarily limit your scope to that sort of employer. If you don't, OCIs could be a much smaller part of your world. 
    • Hey everyone! 1L here. I know I just started and all, but I want to understand how the career aspect of lawyering works.  I am getting a lot of anxiety in regards to knowing where I am going with law school. The debt is really hitting me and making me worry. I will try to keep this short and to the point. I apologize if these questions come across as dumb. They are likely super ignorant, I know your time is valuable and I honestly appreciate any insight you can provide.  I wanted to go to law school with the idea to help people with the law. People like regular folk. I was interested in family law (helping people with their familial relationships through the application of the law...helping people in distress, etc.) 1) I spoke to older students and they indicated opportunities in family law are limited, esp. with OCIs. Further, it became apparent that those Toronto firms/big firms that do specialize in family law don't hire too often/a lot. Is this true? 2a)  I really like Tort law, I have taken a course regarding it in my undergrad too. I always liked personal injury law. However, I remember talking about it at one of the socials and I felt like people would shutdown the conversation quick. I understand that it has a bad rep, but I am sure some clients do really need help. Is personal injury lucrative/are there opportunities? I know there are some PI firms on Bay.  2b) I read about insurance defence, is this in the scope of personal injury and tort law? Would this be considered as "corporate law"? It sounds interesting.  3) What is corporate/business law? I understand its law pertaining to corporate/business needs. But when people tell me they want to go into corporate and/or business law, what kind of law do they want to practice? Is it just that they want to be legal counsel for a corporation/business? I don't think merging businesses will bring me joy. Is there more to it?  To answer this, I reached out to some older students. They indicated that most corporate law firms are full service, where they offer legal services to a wide variety of cases. So, if a lawyer were to work/apply there, would they be expected to be well rounded in regards to the type of law they specialize in?  If I wanted to pursue a legal career with a specialization/interest in tort law, do I have a place in a corporate law firm? I hope you can see my confusion.  4) I have people telling me they want to do litigation. I know what that is, but what is that in the sense of a career? Do firms explicitly hire litigators? I thought a lawyer once called are litigators and solicitors. Are litigators people that only do litigation? And if so, do they have a certain type of law the specialize in or is it mixed (I think you can see my confusion lies somewhere with the idea of specializing)? I am assuming they need to be hired at a firm that has good amount of litigation cases.  Lastly, is it the case that a law student will find a type of law they want to practice, and apply to a firm that specializes in that type of law? Or is it more complicated than that?  I hope these are all appropriate questions. Feel free to be as blunt as possible, any advice would be great.  Thank you so much!           
    • I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I understand how sometimes it can feel like everyone has made their friends and it seems really cliquey. I too am an introvert and have difficulty making friends; I didn't have ANY friends until I was 13 and still find it hard to be in social situations. What helped was finding my "people". Don't focus on the loudest groups who have formed their clique already. Look for someone in the room who is sitting alone and sit next to this person. Say hi. Ask where they're from, what they did their undergrad in.You won't connect with every person you introduce yourself to but there's probably another person like you who is feeling just as alone.
×
×
  • Create New...