Jump to content
147sr90md

1st year associate positions- where to look?

Recommended Posts

Hello all

I'm a recent call in Ontario. I articled in a boutique firm practicing Insurance Defence with a focus on municipality liability and Fire and Police department liability. I did not get hired back, which was a blessing as I was looking to branch out of Insurance Defence. I have been scouting Linkedin and indeed for job postings, but havent had any luck with 0-2 years call postings. Most, if not all are 3-5 years. 

I have vast knowledge in the medical field and health law, as well as a LL.M in international crime and justice focusing on money laundering and corruption, Asset recovery and MLA, human trafficking, transnational organized crime, armed conflict and POW, IHL and human rights and counter-terrorism. My interests also encompass copyright law and IP. I am aware that I have a polyamorous marriage with my interests, coupled with my articling experience in civil litigation focused purely in insurance defence that finding a 1st year associate position is going to be quite difficult and might raise red flags for employers. However, I wanted to make sure I wasn't bottlenecking my career trajectory.

Looking for advice as to where to look for 1 st year associate positions and if there are others who didn't get hired back, what did you do in the meantime while looking for jobs? Did anyone branch out from areas they articled in? If I could get some pointers as to where to look for positions, or networking opportunities, it would be a huge help! 

I am open to the public sector, government, policy, in house, and even moving to other provinces.

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You just completed your articles in insurance defense and yet claim to have vast knowledge in the field of medical and health law. You've also got an  LLM that focused on 11 different topics unrelated to insurance or civil lit.  But the type of law you are really interested in is IP law.

 

And you intend to tell employers about your poly marriage?  During interviews I assume?  Only way it could be a red flag is if you told someone unless your last name is Blackmore.  

Edited by kurrika
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren't trolling.

Rare to see job postings for new calls or people with zero experience. You should feel free to apply to the postings asking for 3-5 years of experience. For the most part, employers will put that as their minimum ask even if they are willing to hire a new call. Some of those jobs will go to new or newer calls. Other than that, you could contact firms directly and ask if they are hiring or have been considering hiring an associate. Can't help you with networking tips but certainly someone with a vast, polyamorous marriage of knowledge and interests can find something in common with nearly every lawyer, to make a coffee meeting worthwhile. 

Edited by BringBackCrunchBerries
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kurrika said:

You just completed your articles in insurance defense and yet claim to have vast knowledge in the field of medical and health law. You've also got an  LLM that focused on 11 different topics unrelated to insurance or civil lit.  But the type of law you are really interested in is IP law.

 

And you intend to tell employers about your poly marriage?  During interviews I assume?  Only way it could be a red flag is if you told someone unless your last name is Blackmore.  

I don't think OP meant a literal poly amorous marriage...

  • Like 6
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, artsydork said:

I don't think OP meant a literal poly amorous marriage...

My version is more fun :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either way, avoid the term "poly marriage" in your interview.

Oh, and check the Ontario Reports, and the OBA classifieds:  https://www.oba.org/Publications-and-Resources/Job-Board

The first posting on the OBA classifieds is for a 0-2 year call for a criminal position.  Mr. Confente has struck me as a reasonable man in my run-ins with him, although I can't speak to his virtues as an employer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All that jumped out at me was "I am aware I have a polyamorous marriage"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 8/21/2019 at 1:21 AM, kurrika said:

You just completed your articles in insurance defense and yet claim to have vast knowledge in the field of medical and health law. You've also got an  LLM that focused on 11 different topics unrelated to insurance or civil lit.  But the type of law you are really interested in is IP law.

 

And you intend to tell employers about your poly marriage?  During interviews I assume?  Only way it could be a red flag is if you told someone unless your last name is Blackmore.  

To add to your unhelpful comment in a forum geared for seeking advice, law school teaches you to employ transferable skills. Having knowledge in an area but working in another, is quite common. Most of us took Constitutional law in law school, but we aren't all practicing in it. I mentioned other interests; however, considering how you failed to comprehend the terms "polyamorous marriage of interests", a jumped conclusion that the only type of law I am really, my apologies, really interested in is IP law, was to be expected. 

Thank you for wasting your time to reply to my post asking for advice. I guess you had nothing better to do at 1:20 am than to employ the anonymity of the internet to post your uncouth and grammatically incorrect opinion.  

On 8/24/2019 at 7:27 AM, utmguy said:

Either way, avoid the term "poly marriage" in your interview.

Oh, and check the Ontario Reports, and the OBA classifieds:  https://www.oba.org/Publications-and-Resources/Job-Board

The first posting on the OBA classifieds is for a 0-2 year call for a criminal position.  Mr. Confente has struck me as a reasonable man in my run-ins with him, although I can't speak to his virtues as an employer. 

Thank you utmguy, I shall look at Ontario Reports! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 11:50 AM, BringBackCrunchBerries said:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren't trolling.

Rare to see job postings for new calls or people with zero experience. You should feel free to apply to the postings asking for 3-5 years of experience. For the most part, employers will put that as their minimum ask even if they are willing to hire a new call. Some of those jobs will go to new or newer calls. Other than that, you could contact firms directly and ask if they are hiring or have been considering hiring an associate. Can't help you with networking tips but certainly someone with a vast, polyamorous marriage of knowledge and interests can find something in common with nearly every lawyer, to make a coffee meeting worthwhile. 

Thank you BringBackCrunchBerries, helpful to know that 3-5 years is usually a minimum ask. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, 147sr90md said:

 

To add to your unhelpful comment in a forum geared for seeking advice, law school teaches you to employ transferable skills.

The middle portion of your post was so over the top with regards to your interests and self-professed knowledge that I assumed you were trolling.   I apologize.  Looking for a 1st year call position can be nerve-wracking.  Good luck.

 

Here's some helpful advice then.  Money laundering is the topic de jour lately.  With a law degree and a masters with some exposure to that topic you may be able to get some interesting work working for government or a crown. 

FINTRAC, OSRE, fed finance, CMHC, and various entities in BC (new crown called the Financial Services Authority, Policy and Legislation Division in Ministry of Finance, Gaming Policy and Enforcement, the AG) and Ontario (don't know the names but they just started a new white collar crimes group) are all working on new initiatives.  Some jobs may not be lawyer jobs per say, but will require a law degree or equivalent.  It may be worth checking government hiring portals and trolling through directories and cold emailing people with a resume.

Edited by kurrika
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 12:23 AM, 147sr90md said:

Hello all

I'm a recent call in Ontario. I articled in a boutique firm practicing Insurance Defence with a focus on municipality liability and Fire and Police department liability. I did not get hired back, which was a blessing as I was looking to branch out of Insurance Defence. I have been scouting Linkedin and indeed for job postings, but havent had any luck with 0-2 years call postings. Most, if not all are 3-5 years. 

I have vast knowledge in the medical field and health law, as well as a LL.M in international crime and justice focusing on money laundering and corruption, Asset recovery and MLA, human trafficking, transnational organized crime, armed conflict and POW, IHL and human rights and counter-terrorism. My interests also encompass copyright law and IP. I am aware that I have a polyamorous marriage with my interests, coupled with my articling experience in civil litigation focused purely in insurance defence that finding a 1st year associate position is going to be quite difficult and might raise red flags for employers. However, I wanted to make sure I wasn't bottlenecking my career trajectory.

Looking for advice as to where to look for 1 st year associate positions and if there are others who didn't get hired back, what did you do in the meantime while looking for jobs? Did anyone branch out from areas they articled in? If I could get some pointers as to where to look for positions, or networking opportunities, it would be a huge help! 

I am open to the public sector, government, policy, in house, and even moving to other provinces.

Thank you

What do you want to do?  Who inspires you and is doing what you want to be doing?  Figure this out and contact those people.  Become their friends and pick their brains.  If you are truly passionate about something, you will create the right opportunities.  

You can apply for jobs online. Chances are you will hate those jobs, if it’s just a job. And you will be applying for new jobs you hate soon enough.  Or you will just work jobs you are meh about indefinitely because they pay the bills.  This is the life of most lawyers. 

It’s worth spending the time now exploring your many interests and what makes you really excited and pursuing that relentlessly.

Good luck.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the above advice, what about going to a regulator? In addition to the ones mentioned above, IIROC, MFDA or IMET? Money laundering specifically in the real estate industry and the casino industry seems to be big and have a lot of opportunities. Combined with your advocacy training it might be a good fit. I think the key here is to network. Even cold-call people working in those bodies and ask for an informational interview? 

Also, I wouldn't sweat the 3-5 year thing. When I was in your shoes, I had maybe 6 months post call under my belt and I applied, and interviewed for jobs that were 3-5 years post call. You never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are very few posted new call positions. When I was looking for mine, I attended conferences, asked friends if they knew anyone was hiring, and just sent out resumes to different firms. I had the most luck with the latter. Other people I have talked to haven't had much success applying to positions posted on Indeed, Eluta, Ontario Law Reports, and so on because there are few positions and many more applicants. It ended up being a colossal waste of time for me, but I didn't have vast knowledge in any particular area of law. 

FYI, you should probably work on your business/legal writing and avoid making stylistic choices in your writing that distract from the substance of it:  http://www.ontariocourts.ca/coa/en/ps/speeches/forget.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Recent Posts

    • It’s understandable to want to map your career out and feel like you have a plan and are in control but as much as possible try not to feel like you need to do this right now. You’ll hear a lot of people who talk like they have it all figured out but they don’t and are just trying to calm themselves down by convincing others they have it figured out.  Just do your best in your classes and each day you’ll learn more about different practice areas and opportunities that may interest you. You’ll have 350 different career plans by the time you graduate and none of them will actually happen. I didn’t take a single class or participate in a single clinic in all of law school that’s relevant to what I do now. I don’t even practice Canadian law at all.  Just do your best in classes and forget the rest, at least until the end of 1L. Everybody who is convincing themselves (by trying to convince you) that they’ve put themselves on the path by joining some clinic or connecting with some professor or lawyer or whatever is wrong and you don’t need to worry about it. 
    • 1L is not a time when most people are at their best. They’re insecure and lost. That’s why it feels like high school. The friendships that I formed in law school that I still have are all from 2L and 3L, not that you can’t also form friendships in 1L.  Also, don’t feel like law school is the only place you can make friends. Get involved in something outside of law school and make friends there. It’s good to escape the law school bubble even when you do have law school friends.  It’s easy to feel like your legal career will be determined by how well you rank or fit in socially at law school but that’s true at all. It’s just a school. You’re a whole person outside of that.
    • Large firms may offer a wide range of general services. Individual lawyers in those situations will often be hyper-specialized, and know everything there is to know about one very specific section of that area. This level of expertise is a way to justify high bills - you have someone in the office who lives and breathes that particular clause.    If you want to be a 'well-rounded lawyer', you'd be more likely to be at the other end of the spectrum, where a sole practicioner in a small city might help people with a variety of legal problems, not knowing the details to the exactitude of the specialist, but being competent in several different areas, such as family/property/wills.    Family is certainly not an area that is limited - it's one of the ones you can be confident will exist in every community across the country. Now, whether there's enough work in that to sustain a practice is another question (see: general practice). I can't imagine, although have never bothered to research so could be completely up the wall on this, that there are many large firms doing OCI recruits with substantial family practices.    This seems a good time to mention, it doesn't seem clear what type of work you want to be doing. Governments and large firms hire through the On Campus Interview process, and a lot of careers officer time is spent on them, and they're certainly often a way to pay off debt quickly, but they're only one part of legal employment. Do you want to work in a glass tower in a major city? If so, that will necessarily limit your scope to that sort of employer. If you don't, OCIs could be a much smaller part of your world. 
    • Hey everyone! 1L here. I know I just started and all, but I want to understand how the career aspect of lawyering works.  I am getting a lot of anxiety in regards to knowing where I am going with law school. The debt is really hitting me and making me worry. I will try to keep this short and to the point. I apologize if these questions come across as dumb. They are likely super ignorant, I know your time is valuable and I honestly appreciate any insight you can provide.  I wanted to go to law school with the idea to help people with the law. People like regular folk. I was interested in family law (helping people with their familial relationships through the application of the law...helping people in distress, etc.) 1) I spoke to older students and they indicated opportunities in family law are limited, esp. with OCIs. Further, it became apparent that those Toronto firms/big firms that do specialize in family law don't hire too often/a lot. Is this true? 2a)  I really like Tort law, I have taken a course regarding it in my undergrad too. I always liked personal injury law. However, I remember talking about it at one of the socials and I felt like people would shutdown the conversation quick. I understand that it has a bad rep, but I am sure some clients do really need help. Is personal injury lucrative/are there opportunities? I know there are some PI firms on Bay.  2b) I read about insurance defence, is this in the scope of personal injury and tort law? Would this be considered as "corporate law"? It sounds interesting.  3) What is corporate/business law? I understand its law pertaining to corporate/business needs. But when people tell me they want to go into corporate and/or business law, what kind of law do they want to practice? Is it just that they want to be legal counsel for a corporation/business? I don't think merging businesses will bring me joy. Is there more to it?  To answer this, I reached out to some older students. They indicated that most corporate law firms are full service, where they offer legal services to a wide variety of cases. So, if a lawyer were to work/apply there, would they be expected to be well rounded in regards to the type of law they specialize in?  If I wanted to pursue a legal career with a specialization/interest in tort law, do I have a place in a corporate law firm? I hope you can see my confusion.  4) I have people telling me they want to do litigation. I know what that is, but what is that in the sense of a career? Do firms explicitly hire litigators? I thought a lawyer once called are litigators and solicitors. Are litigators people that only do litigation? And if so, do they have a certain type of law the specialize in or is it mixed (I think you can see my confusion lies somewhere with the idea of specializing)? I am assuming they need to be hired at a firm that has good amount of litigation cases.  Lastly, is it the case that a law student will find a type of law they want to practice, and apply to a firm that specializes in that type of law? Or is it more complicated than that?  I hope these are all appropriate questions. Feel free to be as blunt as possible, any advice would be great.  Thank you so much!           
    • I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I understand how sometimes it can feel like everyone has made their friends and it seems really cliquey. I too am an introvert and have difficulty making friends; I didn't have ANY friends until I was 13 and still find it hard to be in social situations. What helped was finding my "people". Don't focus on the loudest groups who have formed their clique already. Look for someone in the room who is sitting alone and sit next to this person. Say hi. Ask where they're from, what they did their undergrad in.You won't connect with every person you introduce yourself to but there's probably another person like you who is feeling just as alone.
×
×
  • Create New...