Sign in to follow this  
mapleleaf94

U of A's progression

https://www.ualberta.ca/law/about/news/main-news/2019/may/looking-back

hey all, 0L here admitted to uAlberta for the fall, super excited to start!  I've read on here a lot of mixed reviews about the outgoing dean and the both positive and negative impacts on the program over the last half decade.  I found the above link and it seems like the faculty is on the way up.  Obviously this being an official publication on the website of course it's going to paint a rosy picture.  Could anyone speak to the general attitude among the student body about how the program is faring and if you've noticed any material changes to the quality of the program?  Also any tips about the first few weeks of moving to Edmonton and starting law school would be greatly appreciated! 

I would say the general attitude is that most students don't really notice much about what the outgoing dean did -- a lot of what he did was behind the scenes in terms of obtaining new funding, etc. He has brought in a lot of new profs, and my experiences with them have been largely positive, and I think that most people would have similar opinions. I'm not sure if this really distinguishes UofA from other bigger law schools, but there really is a diversity of expertise amongst the faculty. A lot of the new faculty brought in expertise in very specific areas (e.g. water law) that may or may not be attractive, depending on your interests.

I know one thing that has been materially better is the mooting program — there are numbers to support that. There are concrete instances where I know the outgoing dean arranged funding for things that other law schools wouldn't — take that for what you will.

Tip for starting law school: Law students wear their stress and lack of free time as a badge of honour — you will feel the temptation to work and worry yourself sick to prove yourself to your peers. Don't do it. Schedule time off from thinking about law school. Literally block an evening (or even a day) off every week in your calendar and don't allow yourself to do homework or readings at that time. Your sanity will thank you.

• Like 2