Newfoundland

Should I leave UofT?

I posted on another forum about this but bascailly I feel like I am screwed for OCIs because my grades were terrible; I did not get a single HH and I learned today that without a HH (regardless of # of Hs) you are at a huge disadvantage in the recruit because you ned to show law firms you have stood out for once in law school. i am like your underperforming student and only had Hs and two Ps . I feel like leaving UofT Law and either reapply to a lesser ranked school or just not do law as I do not think law is right for me , especialyl after learning about how bleak my career outlook is for screwing up 1L. 

You need to chill out.  I will let others advise on the career stuff, but you won't necessarily get better grades at another school.  You will probably just get a bunch of Bs just like most other people.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

You need to chill out.  I will let others advise on the career stuff, but you won't necessarily get better grades at another school.  You will probably just get a bunch of Bs just like most other people.

The competition for grades is stronger at UofT though and the courses are harder potentially?

Okay, but regardless  that doesn't answer the question on should I leave UofT

Posted (edited)

What were your grades?

Edit: I just saw you posted your grades in another thread. A few things:

First, your grades are above average, so you should not be nearly as concerned/anxious as you appear to be on this forum.

Second, yes, having an HH is nice, but isn't the be-all, end-all. I don't think it's at all accurate to say having 1 HH and then straight Ps is more desirable than having 5 Hs and 2 Ps. In fact, having 1 HH/straight Ps would automatically disqualify you from certain firms that have a grades cut-off, whereas 5 Hs will meet every firm's grade cut-off.

Third, many, many UofT students with inferior grades land jobs at top firms every year through OCIs.

Finally, your extreme anxiousness on display here + your need to repeat this across three separate threads, and to discuss leaving UofT based on misinformation (these being below avg grades/1 HH being more desirable/etc.) are the types of character traits that could emerge during the OCIs (a time that many students are anxious) and probably won't serve you well there. 

Edited by jwms
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Newfoundland said:

The competition for grades is stronger at UofT though and the courses are harder potentially?

Okay, but regardless  that doesn't answer the question on should I leave UofT

The competition is only stronger insofar as undergrad grades are a good predictor of law school grades ("good" is, of course, a vague term and you can look at the actual studies that try to quantify this).  The two are not unrelated, but I wouldn't say it is a good predictor.  The grading system is also different at other schools, where the vast number of students receive Bs and you may very well too.  The courses aren't harder at UofT.  They are basically identical in terms of content.

It does answer the question if you draw the natural conclusion from my comments.  If the reason that you want to leave is because you think you will get better grades elsewhere, this may very well not be the case, so there is no point in leaving on this basis.

Edited by ProfReader

Posted (edited)

When you transfer out, you need to have a clear explanation for your decision and ambitions to avoid looking like some aimless nomad who won't commit to the program. So when you apply to other schools, make sure you are very clear that with your 1L pedigree you expect to stand out from your classmates; that your admission at UofT and your experiences there will make you a top candidate for leadership in the student body given the higher admissions standards and superior instruction. I'd suggest you attach a copy of the Maclean's ranking, and maybe print out copies of the recent lawstudents.ca Accepted threads from both schools. You should also send these, along with a copy of your transfer application, to the ECs you might want to run next year such as student newspapers, law journal, clinics, etc.

Edited by whereverjustice
expand slightly
  • Like 3
  • Haha 8

11 hours ago, whereverjustice said:

When you transfer out, you need to have a clear explanation for your decision and ambitions to avoid looking like some aimless nomad who won't commit to the program. So when you apply to other schools, make sure you are very clear that with your 1L pedigree you expect to stand out from your classmates; that your admission at UofT and your experiences there will make you a top candidate for leadership in the student body given the higher admissions standards and superior instruction. I'd suggest you attach a copy of the Maclean's ranking, and maybe print out copies of the recent lawstudents.ca Accepted threads from both schools. You should also send these, along with a copy of your transfer application, to the ECs you might want to run next year such as student newspapers, law journal, clinics, etc.

Why do I need an explanation to UofT law to leave? It's not like I have bondage with them that forces me to legally stay with them and plus they have not been helpful with me. 

What is with the print out for the lawstudents.ca?   

If I do leave I am leaving fully and not a transfer for 2L to elsewhere

34 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

Why do I need an explanation to UofT law to leave? It's not like I have bondage with them that forces me to legally stay with them and plus they have not been helpful with me. 

He's fucking with you. If you want to drop out, you can just drop out. Maybe it's time for you to get off this forum and speak to an academic counselor about your future and options. 

1 hour ago, Newfoundland said:

Your grades are NOT bad. I don't see why you want to "drop out".

However, no one can stop you if you want to leave.......

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Your grades are NOT bad. I don't see why you want to "drop out".

However, no one can stop you if you want to leave.......

No longer want to leave now

Edited by Newfoundland
No longer want to leave now

4 minutes ago, Newfoundland said:

People at our/my school literally told me to not even bother applying because I stand no chance for corporate law and that's what I wanted in law school 

Okay, what are the steps for leaving? I posted a clarification on the deadliene to tell UofT that I may leave? I do not know if I missed the deadline because they had a June 30th date 

Did you speak to your academic adviser?

Just now, Newfoundland said:

Nope, I do not want a marketing pitch to stay as I heard that is what you get 

Good luck with whatever you want to do.

You may want to check out the LOC ( if you have it) repayment options  if you quit law school.

These threads collectively show the psychological impact of merciless 1st gen parents. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Eeee said:

These threads collectively show the psychological impact of merciless 1st gen parents. 

I've been following this and the other discussion, and I didn't see the OP mention parental pressure anywhere. Where did this assertion come from?