ariscuderi

Splitter chances [3.03, 3.57, 166]

Hey guys, wondering if someone can give me an idea of my chances for U of T law.

3.03 cGPA, 3.57 B3, 3.71 L2 (did awful in first year), U of T undergrad in a decently competitive program with nothing but As in 3rd and 4th year

166 LSAT

ECs - Head of student run philanthropy group at u of t, Senior Editor of a undergrad journal, volunteer work with indigenous social work groups, volunteer baseball coach for a development group (young kids just starting baseball), moot court competitor and few other minor ones, Undergraduate research experience, had an essay published in an undergrad journal 

Work experience: Capital Market Compliance at a large Canadian bank, business development for one of the seven sisters in Toronto, athletic coordinator at U of T 

I have confidence in my abilities to write a solid PS as well. 

Any guesses or insights would help! Thank you!

9 minutes ago, ariscuderi said:

Hey guys, wondering if someone can give me an idea of my chances for U of T law.

3.03 cGPA, 3.57 B3, 3.71 L2 (did awful in first year), U of T undergrad in a decently competitive program with nothing but As in 3rd and 4th year

166 LSAT

ECs - Head of student run philanthropy group at u of t, Senior Editor of a undergrad journal, volunteer work with indigenous social work groups, volunteer baseball coach for a development group (young kids just starting baseball), moot court competitor and few other minor ones, Undergraduate research experience, had an essay published in an undergrad journal 

Work experience: Capital Market Compliance at a large Canadian bank, business development for one of the seven sisters in Toronto, athletic coordinator at U of T 

I have confidence in my abilities to write a solid PS as well. 

Any guesses or insights would help! Thank you!

Are you an Indigenous Applicant?

If so you are in.

I'd say your chances are quite good but not certain. Due to your lower B3 I would say you could get in later in the cycle in February or March. I do know people entering 1L with me right now with a similar B3 GPA and a worse LSAT than you that got in right around that time. The upward trend in your grades is certainly helpful and your ECs are good. 

14 minutes ago, NeverGiveUp said:

Are you an Indigenous Applicant?

If so you are in.

No, I am not. Just took an interest in Indigenous studies and have a lot of course work on Indigenous topics (issues, governance etc). 

I'm not sure I see how those stats constitute being a splitter. It appears you're at median/slightly below median for LSAT and significantly below median for GPA. I would think you have okay to below average chances. I also don't see why you would necessarily think you would write a solid PS. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jwms said:

I'm not sure I see how those stats constitute being a splitter. It appears you're at median/slightly below median for LSAT and significantly below median for GPA. I would think you have okay to below average chances. I also don't see why you would necessarily think you would write a solid PS. 

Haha. My cGPA is low so yes I would be considered a splitter at some major Canadian law schools. In addition, I can write a solid PS because im no stranger to PS type letters/format/content and I've seen both my older siblings along with numerous friends write successful PS for various law schools including U of T. Thx for your reply though!

Edited by ariscuderi

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, ariscuderi said:

Haha. My cGPA is low so yes I would be considered a splitter at some major Canadian law schools. In addition, I can write a solid PS because im no stranger to PS type letters/format/content and I've seen both my older siblings along with numerous friends write successful PS for various law schools including U of T. Thx for your reply though!

Right, but B3 is what UofT cares about, right? And you're posting in the UofT forum. Which makes your B3 relevant here -- making your numbers not the stats of a splitter.

I also don't follow your logic, re writing a solid PS, but I don't think that matters. More power to you if you're feeling confident in that regard. I will say that I'd be surprised if the majority of successful candidates to UofT didn't have access to a 'PS type letters/format/content' which were successful, and without your knowing who is reading it and what they are looking for in a particular year, it would seem to be very presumptuous to state that you're solid there. But, again, I don't think this part of things matters much.

Edited by jwms

You may be a splitter if the school looked at your cGPA, but your B3 GPA are not splitter stats. More importantly, U of T doesn't accept a lot of splitters from what I've seen; they want both a competitive GPA and LSAT score.