SAReimer

Recommendations of items - What should I buy to make my law school experience better?

2 hours ago, healthlaw said:

I don’t think I used a single pen in school lol. Exaggeration, but I remember not having a pen/paper the rare time I did need to draw out a diagram. 

What are people writing by hand (assuming you also use a laptop)?

One class without laptops, but mostly filling in outlines after I realize I missed a couple points, saves me the reprint. And rent cheques I guess. It was a nice box I bought for 4th year that I never finished. 

2 hours ago, FunnyLawName said:

I'll echo the printer sentiment and add that a scanner is good as well (a feed-scanner, not just a plate glass photo scanner). Even if you don't print your readings I would say enough job opportunities and other miscellaneous stuff arises that the scanner printer combo at home is still a good choice. For example, getting all the shit together to send in to the law society in third year.

Scanners I find unnecessary, the all-in-ones on campus are free and amazing quality, you’ll only use them a couple times. 

10 hours ago, RNGesus said:

Unibal 207s in .5mm are my go-to, those things write so incredibly nicely for a mostly cheap ballpoint, gel ink is amazingly rich on the page. Also highlighers. I absolutely hate highlighting in books, but I found them necessary when writing exams.

Buy your own printer. You'll end up shelling out a lot when printing outlines on campus, and this way you get the convenience of doing it at home.

Don't buy pens,  I have pen swag from every law firm within 1000kms of me.  You will get pen swag.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, healthlaw said:

I don’t think I used a single pen in school lol. Exaggeration, but I remember not having a pen/paper the rare time I did need to draw out a diagram. 

What are people writing by hand (assuming you also use a laptop)?

Notes in margins. Paper outlines. Underlining. To do lists. Post its. Tabs. Questions. Thoughts (rare for me).

An Instant Pot or slow cooker. Makes healthy cooking easier and less of a hassle. 

A hard drive or a cloud account of some sort. 

If you already have a good idea of how you learn best, make sure you're well-stocked with your supplies, whether that be highlighters, post-it tabs, or a flip chart/white board. 

Not necessarily a buy, but were you working or volunteering this summer? Update your resume while it's all still fresh in your mind. 

• Like 1