Sign in to follow this  
curiouslegal

Digital LSAT

I am retaking the LSAT in September and have dedicated some time to understand how the digital LSAT works and how I may have to change my test-day techniques to accommodate the digital factor (I took the LSAT last November on paper).

I have taken a look at the one digital LSAT released by LSAC and have used Khan Academy for some of my scored PTs.

For those who took the digital LSAT in July , did you find anything about the administration of the digital test challenging?

3 minutes ago, curiouslegal said:

I am retaking the LSAT in September and have dedicated some time to understand how the digital LSAT works and how I may have to change my test-day techniques to accommodate the digital factor (I took the LSAT last November on paper).

I have taken a look at the one digital LSAT released by LSAC and have used Khan Academy for some of my scored PTs.

For those who took the digital LSAT in July , did you find anything about the administration of the digital test challenging?

I found using the tablet very straight forward. The thing I didn't like was the glare on the screen from overhead lighting. That and proctors learning how to administer the test for the first time. But as long as you've reviewed the LSAC tutorial you will have no issues jumping right into the test. Some people I know didn't like it when the "five minutes remaining" box popped up and you had to physically close it to get back to the test. Good luck!

3 hours ago, Honks202 said:

I found using the tablet very straight forward. The thing I didn't like was the glare on the screen from overhead lighting. That and proctors learning how to administer the test for the first time. But as long as you've reviewed the LSAC tutorial you will have no issues jumping right into the test. Some people I know didn't like it when the "five minutes remaining" box popped up and you had to physically close it to get back to the test. Good luck!

I'll have to spend a few minutes before the test adjusting screen brightness and positioning of the tablet then. Thanks for the helpful information.

23 hours ago, curiouslegal said:

I found that trying to highlight with the silly stylus that they gave us was a waste of time. I think I might've wasted a total of 3 minutes trying to highlight lol. Other than that, it was relatively straightforward and it was really nice to see a countdown clock in front of you.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, strugglingSFUgal said:

I found that trying to highlight with the silly stylus that they gave us was a waste of time. I think I might've wasted a total of 3 minutes trying to highlight lol. Other than that, it was relatively straightforward and it was really nice to see a countdown clock in front of you.

How unfortunate...yeah I like the countdown clock feature too. Thanks for your input!

1 hour ago, strugglingSFUgal said:

were you given scrap paper to diagram the logical games? or are you expected to do that on the tablet. 

20 minutes ago, 76th said:

were you given scrap paper to diagram the logical games? or are you expected to do that on the tablet. 

Hi 76th. You are given bounded scrap paper to do whatever you please throughout the test. 

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, 76th said:

You get 14 pages of scratch paper. It’s more than plenty of paper for diagraming games and RC/LR notation. The only complaint I’ve seen come up fairly often about the paper is the LSAC watermark across each page. I didn’t find it to be a big distraction but it’s a bit subjective. 

• Thanks 2

Would you guys recommend just taking RC notes on the scrap paper then? It sounds as if that might be less time consuming and less finicky?

1 hour ago, footballguy12 said:

Would you guys recommend just taking RC notes on the scrap paper then? It sounds as if that might be less time consuming and less finicky?

Thats what I did. I also drew a line to separate each paragraph's notes so that I could reference them easier when a question stem referred to a particular paragraph. Mind you, everyone I know (including myself) got absolutely destroyed by RC in July so it didn't really matter anyways!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Honks202 said:

Mind you, everyone I know (including myself) got absolutely destroyed by RC in July so it didn't really matter anyways!

Hahahahaha. This.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, footballguy12 said:

You can try taking notes on the scrap paper and see if it works for you. I’m retaking in September and possibly October or November depending on what score I get on August 28th. I had immense difficulty working with the highlighter tool during the test. I gave up on it halfway through. 

I have been working on RC a little differently since July and it I’ve seen some improvements in my score. I stopped notating completely and simply keep track of view points, main point and structure in my head. 

The one neat thing about digital RC is that line references in questions are highlighted for you automatically in the passage. It saves a lot of time and relieves you of any pressure to find a particular sentence or word that they may refer to.

Edited by Serenitytomorrow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Serenitytomorrow said:

You can try taking notes on the scrap paper and see if it works for you. I’m retaking in September and possibly October or November depending on what score I get on August 28th. I had immense difficulty working with the highlighter tool during the test. I gave up on it halfway through. 

I have been working on RC a little differently since July and it I’ve seen some improvements in my score. I stopped notating completely and simply keep track of view points, main point and structure in my head. 

The one neat thing about digital RC is that line references in questions are highlighted for you automatically in the passage. It saves a lot of time and relieves you of any pressure to find a particular sentence or word that they may refer to.

Wow thanks for the helpful tip ST. That is really cool that the digital RC section references the lines in question by automatically highlighting!