buttercupflyaway

Is there a point in applying to business law firms with my grades?

Posted (edited)

I am a student at Queen's Law applying for the Summer 2L recruit and planning to participate in Toronto OCIs. I had originally planned to apply to many of the larger business law firms - BLG, Cassels Brock, Davies, Bennett Jones, etc. But I do not have stellar grades - five B+s and two Bs. No As. Is there a point in even applying to these places, or is it a waste of time? I know they obviously consider more than just your grades. I have legal experience from working this summer at a small local law firm, and I have volunteer experience from volunteering during 1L. But I don't want to spend time applying to these larger firms if I don't really have a chance and my efforts could be better spent elsewhere. Apologies - I know posts like these are probably pretty common. I would very much appreciate your thoughts. Thank you. 

Edited by buttercupflyaway

Posted (edited)

I don't underatand these sorts of questions - 

Applying consists of sending a C.V. and a (slightly) customized cover letter. 

Is that really so time consuming that you shouldn't bother if you don't have a great shot at an interview? It's a very small amount of effort (especially when compared to working at one of these firms). If you can't be bothered, how interested are you in working there, really? 

I know people with similar grades that work in large or national firms. It's certainly possible, if not likely. And at the very least, you get some practice doing applications, which can only help you. 

Edited by QuincyWagstaff
  • Like 2

Elsewhere on what? If you want to work in Toronto no one else is recruiting right now. 

10 minutes ago, easttowest said:

Elsewhere on what? If you want to work in Toronto no one else is recruiting right now. 

Many jobs open up throughout the year for second year summer.

But yes the vast majority are hired through this recruit (for 2L summer toronto).

Most people working at these firms have similar grade profiles. 

36 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Many jobs open up throughout the year for second year summer.

But yes the vast majority are hired through this recruit (for 2L summer toronto).

That’s what I mean. What other recruiting efforts could you focus on now (in August)?

• Like 1

Is Queens having a B+ curve accurate? OP has strong grades, but I've seen this thrown around in a few threads.

Does OP have strong grades? No, I think we can agree on that. But should he/she apply? Of course! Why would you rule yourself out just because of grades alone?! What do you have to lose? 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Oddduck said:

Does OP have strong grades? No, I think we can agree on that. But should he/she apply? Of course! Why would you rule yourself out just because of grades alone?! What do you have to lose? 

How the hell is a B+ average not strong? Most of the students hired from Oz are B+ students.

Edited by harveyspecter993

12 minutes ago, Oddduck said:

Considering the fact that 60-70% of law students have below a B+ average, I'd say then that most law students are not strong students, and will therefore not make good lawyers. The system is failing us! Too many incompetent lawyers are now coming out of Canadian law schools. That B average is like a noose around your neck to be sure. 

1 hour ago, harveyspecter993 said:

How the hell is a B+ average not strong? Most of the students hired from Oz are B+ students.

OP is not from Oz, it is easier to get a b+ avg from Queen’s

3 minutes ago, Oddduck said:

OP is not from Oz, it is easier to get a b+ avg from Queen’s

*audible groan*

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TdK said:

*audible groan*

Ignoring class strengths because I really don't think there's enough to distinguish there, Queens has a higher curve. It's literally easier, all else equal, to get a B+.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Ignoring class strengths because I really don't think there's enough to distinguish there, Queens has a higher curve. It's literally easier, all else equal, to get a B+.

If true, I retract my audible groan (to the extent that's physically possible).

You're the prototypical law student: you have every reason to be confident in yourself yet have poor self-esteem

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Not true, check the academic calendar if you're really interested, same curve as other schools

57 minutes ago, Trew said:

Not true, check the academic calendar if you're really interested, same curve as other schools

For my own information, I just checked the most recent calendar, it’s not the same curve. Osgoode has mandatory C’s while Queen’s doesn’t. The range given to the top two grades (a and a-) are more generous than Oz (a+ and a). 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Oddduck said:

For my own information, I just checked the most recent calendar, it’s not the same curve. Osgoode has mandatory C’s while Queen’s doesn’t. The range given to the top two grades (a and a-) are more generous than Oz (a+ and a). 

I should check again then. But I know at Queen's about 10-15% of students get As. That was the distribution in my classes when the profs showed us. There is also no B+ curve, it's only seminars, and there are very few of them. The lectures are a B curve. 

Edited by Trew