GreysAnatomy

Lawyers - what do you like to talk about at firm events?!

As an incoming articling student, I find it hard to relate to older associates and partners. Lawyers : at firm social events, do you prefer when students talk to you about your practice or your social life ? Is there anything you secretly roll your eyes at? I understand that generally any topic is good and keeping a conversation is a big part of practicing the law - but any tips would be appreciated! 

Posted (edited)

Are you asking how to be normal at a social event? Lawyers are people so just have a conversation like you would with anyone else.

Edited by FingersCr0ssed
  • Haha 1

As a junior, I tend to ask senior associates or partners about their practice first, and let them guide the conversation if they want to talk more about their social life. This is mostly because I'm a fairly private person so I prefer to talk about my practice, rather than my social life, and I assume everyone else feels the same way until they show otherwise.

Be polite, confident, and respectful, and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Movies, TV shows, sports, the weather, what you did last weekend, anything other than my practice please.

• Like 5

Summer plans, vacation plans, have they been relatively busy... anything that makes them talk about themselves (which lawyers love) while you nosh on the delicious free food 😄

• Like 4

Lawyers love talking about themselves, so just ask a few questions about their work or life, and they will go on and on and believe everyone is having a good time.

• Like 5

Talk about how you believe workplace policies have become unreasonably restrictive when it comes to relationships between lawyers and students.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

Posted (edited)

It's more about what you shouldn't talk about haha. Avoid politics, sex or religion unless you're 100% confident you both hate Trudeau.

Here's an acronym for small talk questions: FORM (family, occupation, recreation and motivation). Motivation refers to why they do what they do. For example, "what got you interested in insurance defence?" Before getting into the FORM questions, try to find something in the environment to comment on to start the conversation. For example, "isn't this spread of crab cakes great?" 

A few more tips:

Download the sports net app and read a few articles. I swear only 10% of people actually like sports, but it's so accessible that it's great conversation material. 

The weather has been a conversation opener in Canada since Champlain's time. 

Shop talk is great but don't gossip at other people's expense. It'll come back to haunt you. 

Edited by grishamlaw
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Basically every in firm social event repeats the following:

Hey X, how are you.

Good, you?

Good yea  How's work, busy summer?

Yea lots on the go. Holiday plans?

Nothing major, try and get a long weekend in. 

Great.

Yea.

Rinse and repeat until you get bored and spend the rest of the event talking to only the other students. 

but what if i don't like travelling, no summer plans, i don't watch tv, movies or care for sports. what do i talk about? i guess there is that one socially inept weirdo in every office

17 minutes ago, levin said:

but what if i don't like travelling, no summer plans, i don't watch tv, movies or care for sports. what do i talk about? i guess there is that one socially inept weirdo in every office

Tell them you have no interests or passions other than your love of the law and helping people, then rhyme off the 5 most significant decisions in that last 3 years in that particular lawyer's field.

4 minutes ago, TdK said:

Tell them you have no interests or passions other than your love of the law and helping people, then rhyme off the 5 most significant decisions in that last 3 years in that particular lawyer's field.

Might not be the best thing to say at an insurance defence cocktail?

53 minutes ago, levin said:

If all else fails, ask about Garry Hoy or, if you are familiar with who Garry Hoy is, tell the story.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Might not be the best thing to say at an insurance defence cocktail?

Hey. Insurance corporations are people too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, thegoodlaw said:

If all else fails, ask about Garry Hoy or, if you are familiar with who Garry Hoy is, tell the story.

Not to sound cold blooded, but was there ever any litigation out of that?

4 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Not to sound cold blooded, but was there ever any litigation out of that?

No idea. I can tell you that the firm folded within 3 years of his death and he got a Darwin Award for the way he died.

I do wonder about those articling students. Did they get hired???

I guarantee you, if there is a lawyer who doesn't like traveling, summer plans, tv, movies or sports, he/she (probably he, TBH) will be happy to tell you about it at length in a tone of voice that suggests he thinks it makes him better than anyone else.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thegoodlaw said:

We had a broken window a few weeks ago, and I studiously refrained from making any jokes. I was very proud of my self-restraint. We just had the new articling students in too!

Edited by Jaggers
  • Like 4